Wi-Fi Calling using cellular data?

hkalltheway

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

In the iOS world, in iOS 13, when someone gets on a call on the primary SIM, naturally the second SIM is disabled. However, while the second SIM is inactive, the iphone kicks on wifi calling using the data of the primary SIM to keep the line active.

Does Android have the functionality to have wifi calling use the data of the primary SIM to enable calling while the primary SIM is active and no wifi network is available?

hkalltheway

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
iOS has had this feature since iOS 12, so it's about time android needs to catch up to this. It's particularly useful for travelers. Anyone knows if this is in the pipeline?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure exactly what the question is. When Wi-fi Calling is on, it's "preferred," which means if the phone is connected to a valid wi-fi network, it will prefer to connect the call using the wi-fi network. If the wi-fi network becomes unavailable, then the phone automatically switches back to the cellular network. Just because wi-fi isn't available, doesn't mean the phone will be stuck not being able to make a call. It's been that way for a long long time.

hkalltheway

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure exactly what the question is. When Wi-fi Calling is on, it's "preferred," which means if the phone is connected to a valid wi-fi network, it will prefer to connect the call using the wi-fi network. If the wi-fi network becomes unavailable, then the phone automatically switches back to the cellular network. Just because wi-fi isn't available, doesn't mean the phone will be stuck not being able to make a call. It's been that way for a long long time.

Hey thanks for the response! Yes I understand what you're saying. What I was trying to say is that suppose you are outside in an area where sim1 has coverage, but sim2 is out of coverage area... Then sim2 would use the data of sim1 on cellular data to activate wifi calling using the data of sim1, even if no wifi connection is present. Due to using sim1's data to enable wifi calling, sim2 suddenly can make and receive calls as if it was registered to the network. This has been possible on iOS for two years now, and I was hoping android would get this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey thanks for the response! Yes I understand what you're saying. What I was trying to say is that suppose you are outside in an area where sim1 has coverage, but sim2 is out of coverage area... Then sim2 would use the data of sim1 on cellular data to activate wifi calling using the data of sim1, even if no wifi connection is present. Due to using sim1's data to enable wifi calling, sim2 suddenly can make and receive calls as if it was registered to the network. This has been possible on iOS for two years now, and I was hoping android would get this.
Check setting under connection them mobile should give options for each sim what to enable .
By the way which phone?

hkalltheway

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Check setting under connection them mobile should give options for each sim what to enable .
By the way which phone?

Samsung galaxy note 10+. I know this isn't possible in android right now. In settings, you can only enable or disable wifi calling and dual sim internet during call. Nothing close to what iOS offers

hkalltheway

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site

Yes I understand. I am able to activate wifi calling and VoLTE for BOTH sims, that is no problem. But, android takes "wifi-calling" literally, meaning it ONLY works while connected to wi-fi. iOS, on the other hand, can use the cellular data connection of one sim, and the other SIM can use wifi-calling even WITHOUT wifi, just using the data connection of the first SIM and treating that data connection as a wifi connection.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I understand. I am able to activate wifi calling and VoLTE for BOTH sims, that is no problem. But, android takes "wifi-calling" literally, meaning it ONLY works while connected to wi-fi. iOS, on the other hand, can use the cellular data connection of one sim, and the other SIM can use wifi-calling even WITHOUT wifi, just using the data connection of the first SIM and treating that data connection as a wifi connection.
Gotcha , I have the iPhone 11 pro but never used it dual SIM , probably like you said not available yet on Android . With iOS you do this one esim and other actual card?