Poor performance on Pixel 3XL after Android 11 update.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of lag and stuttering that wasn't there on Android 10. Especially when sharing. Pixel 3xl. Very dissatisfied.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Often after an OS upgrade a phone may need resetting to get rid of bugs and incompatibilities. If you are getting particular lag that may be the best option. Make sure you do a backup first.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ugh I dread the factory reset. It really shouldn't be that way Android 11 should be able to run on a Pixel 3 XL without the need of a factory reset. But if I have to do it I'll do it.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I hate the dreaded Factory Reset. I wish there was a state of the art backup, similar to Apples Cloud. I would pay for it, just like everyone does for Apple iCloud!! With Android, I have to piecemeal my backup. Find how to backup both SMD *and* MMS. I have my Google Pictures backup in Google Photos. Oh, don't forget your download folder, and other miscellaneous. Oh, and I have a 132gb Pixel 2xl, with about 12gb free, so the rest is video and audio. It takes hours to make sure I have everything. Apples Cloud keeps you incrementally updated, so it's always ready to be lost, broken or reset. Easy data recovery. I wish, I wish.

I found this one PC App that would backup, similar to Samsung's Smart Switch. But even though it says it did video, it didn't. It also would not connect my Pixel 2xl to the PC via a USB-C cable, even though Developers Options were set. I had to use much shower wifi. I am going to try that again - and see if I can get it to work somehow. But I worry. What if it fails to restore???? Scary.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh I dread the factory reset. It really shouldn't be that way Android 11 should be able to run on a Pixel 3 XL without the need of a factory reset. But if I have to do it I'll do it.

As a test, see if the lag and stutter is there in Safe Mode. If it isn't, then it's probably related more to 3rd party apps that haven't been properlly optimized for Android 11 yet.

douglas martinez

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
As a test, see if the lag and stutter is there in Safe Mode. If it isn't, then it's probably related more to 3rd party apps that haven't been properlly optimized for Android 11 yet.

Would that include my hotspot as well? It keeps turning off and that has never happened. My carrier ran all the troubleshooting they could do and did not fix the issue so I am thinking it is the update-especially after reading all the complaints. Also my battery drains faster, constantly getting no internet messages when I have internet (I checked on other devices), some of my apps are acting funny and they are the ones that told me if I don't update they will not work anymore.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A factory reset will not fix a screwed up update. If the update is flawed it will still be flawed after reset.
Hi, welcome to AC!
How do you know its a update the issue?

Lot of times people expirence this after a OS update and sometimes needs to be done , especially they mentioned right after a update.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Would that include my hotspot as well? It keeps turning off and that has never happened. My carrier ran all the troubleshooting they could do and did not fix the issue so I am thinking it is the update-especially after reading all the complaints. Also my battery drains faster, constantly getting no internet messages when I have internet (I checked on other devices), some of my apps are acting funny and they are the ones that told me if I don't update they will not work anymore.

It might help some of those issues -- won't hurt to test it out. Obviously, you won't be able to test apps that you've installed, since they'll be disabled in Safe Mode. But if all of the other problems go away in Safe Mode, then it's probably due to a 3rd party app that hasn't been properly optimized for Android 11 yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved this to the Android 10 subforum instead of the Android 11 it was in.

Pretty sure the OP meant Android 11 in the title. The initial post says "I've noticed a lot of lag and stuttering that wasn't there on Android 10." I'll move this back to the Android 11 forum and correct the typo in the title.

douglas martinez

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
It might help some of those issues -- won't hurt to test it out. Obviously, you won't be able to test apps that you've installed, since they'll be disabled in Safe Mode. But if all of the other problems go away in Safe Mode, then it's probably due to a 3rd party app that hasn't been properly optimized for Android 11 yet.

I will do that. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll also add that if the update's code were flawed, that would also mean that problems would be widespread, affecting all phones with the update, which is clearly not the case. Apart from the possibility of existing apps not playing nice with the new update (which we already discussed), there might be some other bit of leftover data from the previous version that's causing some kind of problem, which is why a factory reset may still be worth trying. In the past, I would've recommended a cache partition wipe, but this is no longer an option on Pixel phones due to the dual A/B system partitions.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
And I really miss the ability to wipe the cache partition, it was an easy way to solve lots of problems. Supposedly turning pixels off and on automatically wipes the partition so to speak. I have found turning mine off then back on multiple times after updates has fixed small issues and definitely brought it back to pre-update performance. I didn't factory reset it after the last os update which I usually do, and it's working perfectly after some initial bugs. But I turned it off and back on multiple times, and it actually took 3-4 restarts before the new os was completely installed. Plus I turn it off every night (we have a landline).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly turning pixels off and on automatically wipes the partition so to speak.

That's interesting, I'd never heard that before. Fortunately, I haven't run into any significant issues that would have otherwise made me want to wipe the cache, knock on wood!:)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I hate the dreaded Factory Reset. I wish there was a state of the art backup, similar to Apples Cloud. I would pay for it, just like everyone does for Apple iCloud!!
Try TWRP. Full data backup (and system backup if you like) in one shot. You do have to unlock the bootloader, which does a factory reset, so pain once, then never again. (You don't even have to leave TWRP in the phone, you can boot with the img file, do the backup then reboot and you're back to the phone with no TWRP. And TWRP backups do restore.) Since you're backing up all your data area, you back up muxic, pictures, SMS, MMS, everything. (You may have to free up some space, install TWRP, and run Tipatch to back up your emulated SD card. (When you're putting video or audio into the phone, back the file up at that time by putting it on whatever you're using for your backup.)

A factory reset will not fix a screwed up update. If the update is flawed it will still be flawed after reset.
A dirty update (installing an update over an earlier version, rather than flashing the entire new ROM (which you can do with a Pixel [any number] without wiping your stuff) often needs a system cache clear or even a factory reset.

In the past, I would've recommended a cache partition wipe, but this is no longer an option on Pixel phones due to the dual A/B system partitions.
I've never tried it, but it should still be possible from TWRP. (And you can manually choose the A or B partition with 'getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix' from adb, fastboot or a terminal app. [I believe you can also switch it in TWRP, but I don't want to reboot to check at the moment.])

Supposedly turning pixels off and on automatically wipes the partition so to speak. I have found turning mine off then back on multiple times after updates has fixed small issues and definitely brought it back to pre-update performance.
If you have the bootloader unlocked (or are willing to unlock it), you can flash the ROM every month. If you first delete the -w from the last fastboot line in flash-all.bat or flash-all.sh, you won't do a factory reset. (That's how I've been updating, every month, for years. A fresh system, but no damage to my things.)

Last edited: