How to organise photos

Carrot Museum

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Nokia 4.2 Android 11

I have set the camera to save all photos I take onto the SD card.

What I want to do is to move those photos into folders for specifically named subjects. eg pets, holidays, family etc

At the moment when I open the camera app there is a small circle with a thumbnail. Tapping that brings up all the photos I have taken.

How do I create the named folders and then move photos to their relevant folder?

Is it possible to make the camera save a photo directly to a named folder?

Can I place a shortcut on the home screen to a particular folder.

When select settings - storage - sd card - I see a list of folders = Alarms, Android, Audiobooks etc.

Clicking on Pictures Folder there is nothing showing apart from one thumbnail of a trashed photo. So where are the other photos stored?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Camera apps save photos by default to the directory called /DCIM/Camera (not /Pictures), either on Internal Storage or the SD card. You would have to create new directories and manually move the photo files to those directories in order to create physical folders -- any file manager app can do that. It would not be possible to have the camera app save to a specific directory that you created (at least not the stock camera app) -- you can only specify Internal Storage vs SD card.

I'm not sure if Nokia's launcher or file manager have a native way of doing this, but you can use a 3rd party file manager like Total Commander to create a homescreen widget that acts as a shortcut to a folder. 3rd party launchers like Nova also have this option.