LOSING IT Over Scoped Storage!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Google has to do something and we don’t know the final outcome yet. As other have said, they will elicit feedback and adjust accordingly. You even admit you are in the minority and they need to satisfy the majority. Nothing to get overly emotional about.
Agreed. And on the other hand power users aren't the only ones who like free file management. Even regular users that like to manage a normal media library need storage freedom (source: I've seen many regular users manage files on their devices).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I kind of like the fact that Google is closing the loop for developers to add unnecessary app permissions. Like stated earlier, a tic tac toe game doesn't need all permissions in the book to run.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. And on the other hand power users aren't the only ones who like free file management. Even regular users that like to manage a normal media library need storage freedom (source: I've seen many regular users manage files on their devices).
On the other hand "Power user" is a distinguishing term in that it seperates someone from an "average user". As a result it means different things in different situations so it's objectively meanless.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I kind of like the fact that Google is closing the loop for developers to add unnecessary app permissions. Like stated earlier, a tic tac toe game doesn't need all permissions in the book to run.
Such games should not even be allowed on Google Play in the first place, simple solution. Each and every app should be vetted by a HUMAN before it goes on Google Play.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Such games should not even be allowed on Google Play in the first place, simple solution. Each and every app should be vetted by a HUMAN before it goes on Google Play.

the problem is, a lot of apps play nicr until a few updates later or until sold. I am not sure humans could handle each and every app and their updates. also don't forget, a lot of apps are installed from third party stores. you sure don't want google to move towards using some sort of uefi.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
the problem is, a lot of apps play nicr until a few updates later or until sold. I am not sure humans could handle each and every app and their updates. also don't forget, a lot of apps are installed from third party stores. you sure don't want google to move towards using some sort of uefi.
Well it is the user's fault an none of Google's concern what happens with stuff that people download from crappy websites.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Then why is Microsoft not being beaten up for letting users install and give admin permissions to everything on Windows? All cellphones are are mini computers.

they did get beaten up about it but micro$oft as usual ignored it and it went away.- for the most part. I still see complaints about it in the different tech forums. the same will happen with what google is doing. in addition it is easier to dump windows and install linux than changing os with android.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
There is a phone coming with Windows 10 for ARM and a manufacturer-specific Android app compatibility layer. If that type of stuff catches on that might be a nice option

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
they did get beaten up about it but micro$oft as usual ignored it and it went away.- for the most part. I still see complaints about it in the different tech forums. the same will happen with what google is doing. in addition it is easier to dump windows and install linux than changing os with android.
Yes, that was when they added UAC, which produced so many nagging popups that users who knew how completely disabled it. The heavy handed UAC was toned down by Microsoft.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
That would be sensible.
Yeah. My whole point here is that I still want access to all my stuff like before, but if they are so damn worried about security they should make it ask for USER CONSENT with all the big and scary warnings about data theft that they want. Having those warnings will protect Google from security negligence accusations. And as it is there are warnings when you allow a source for installing APKs from (on older versions before Oreo it warned you when you enabled unknown sources).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. My whole point here is that I still want access to all my stuff like before, but if they are so damn worried about security they should make it ask for USER CONSENT with all the big and scary warnings about data theft that they want. Having those warnings will protect Google from security negligence accusations. And as it is there are warnings when you allow a source for installing APKs from (on older versions before Oreo it warned you when you enabled unknown sources).
I agree. Google is too concerned about user error that it is preventing skilled users from making the most of their devices. If I do something that breaks my device, I'll take the blame myself for my own error. I'm not going to put the blame on Google for what is my responsibility.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree. Google is too concerned about user error that it is preventing skilled users from making the most of their devices. If I do something that breaks my device, I'll take the blame myself for my own error. I'm not going to put the blame on Google for what is my responsibility.
With scoped storage, most of the cool things I show off that get me all the likes and good reputation on this forum would not be possible. I am very skilled in keeping my device secure, and I have very effective anti-virus software to prevent me from installing anything that might be bad should I accidentally slip up. Stuff I'm not sure about goes thru Virustotal and I know how to interpret all of that stuff. I've been a power user of computers and other devices since I was a few years old, and scoped storage feels like an insult. My device, MY choice. Locked-down Android would not be fun to me. Not mention I know how to fix a soft bricked device (Odin and SPflashtool were always my dearest friends). I am a very security conscious person and I'd be the first to tell you if I saw an obvious security issue. I am also the first to call out garbage that feels like a mass preparation for cyber-dystopia...

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
With scoped storage, most of the cool things I show off that get me all the likes and good reputation on this forum would not be possible. I am very skilled in keeping my device secure, and I have very effective anti-virus software to prevent me from installing anything that might be bad should I accidentally slip up. Stuff I'm not sure about goes thru Virustotal and I know how to interpret all of that stuff. I've been a power user of computers and other devices since I was a few years old, and scoped storage feels like an insult. My device, MY choice. Locked-down Android would not be fun to me. Not mention I know how to fix a soft bricked device (Odin and SPflashtool were always my dearest friends). I am a very security conscious person and I'd be the first to tell you if I saw an obvious security issue. I am also the first to call out garbage that feels like a mass preparation for cyber-dystopia...
I've never used antivirus on Android or on desktop Linux, and I've never had any issues, but I know what to avoid in terms of sites and apps. I only use antivirus on Windows.

I think using any computer (and that includes mobile phones, connected devices, etc.) should be something that people take responsibility for and learn the proper ways to be safe and secure.

The companies that make the hardware and software should not need to restrict the capabilities because people lack responsibility.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

How many skilled users do you believe there are though? These devices are marketed to the public as if they are ok to use as is and most people, I believe, don’t know any different. Remember, the amount of people on a site like this is negligible compared to all users. There has to be a happy medium.