LOSING IT Over Scoped Storage!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. My whole point here is that I still want access to all my stuff like before, but if they are so damn worried about security they should make it ask for USER CONSENT with all the big and scary warnings about data theft that they want. Having those warnings will protect Google from security negligence accusations. And as it is there are warnings when you allow a source for installing APKs from (on older versions before Oreo it warned you when you enabled unknown sources).

Unfortunately people click through those things without reading them. It is certainly something to consider though. You have to remember, the general public is not like us.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think using any computer (and that includes mobile phones, connected devices, etc.) should be something that people take responsibility for and learn the proper ways to be safe and secure

Wait - you're asking people to take responsibility for their actions? That's INSANITY! Of course I'm kidding, but this doesn't seem like something many are willing to do these days...

On the topic at hand - I think it'd be worth it to wait until the first public beta is released before passing judgement on features. This IS the first developers preview after all...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Such games should not even be allowed on Google Play in the first place, simple solution. Each and every app should be vetted by a HUMAN before it goes on Google Play.

The most simple isn't always the most easy to implement. Ex: Want to reduce climate change? Stop burning fossil fuels.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Wait - you're asking people to take responsibility for their actions? That's INSANITY! Of course I'm kidding, but this doesn't seem like something many are willing to do these days...

On the topic at hand - I think it'd be worth it to wait until the first public beta is released before passing judgement on features. This IS the first developers preview after all...
I will wait. If they fixed it enough that I can have control over my damn SD card and stuff like normally and access it with apps they way I like, I'll be fine.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately people click through those things without reading them. It is certainly something to consider though. You have to remember, the general public is not like us.
And another thing is that aftermarket apps will not have to ask Google to let them use the new permission that Google will be letting file managers and music players have. I hope open source apps that use that option help me regain control over my device. If open source devs take advantage of this I will not have to fear Android 11.

main 1

May 7, 2022
Visit site
Android 11 is a ******* piece of **** i ******* hate it now i cant even create android mods since my pc broke because of this version now android is becoming the ***** of apple if they keep doing this **** this piece of **** probably the worst version of android i ******* hate it im sorry if i sound like a psycho but im having a very hard time because of this trash!(sorry if my grammar is bad english is no my main language) atleast swearing makes you calm down a bit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Android 11 is a ******* piece of **** i ******* hate it now i cant even create android mods since my pc broke because of this version now android is becoming the ***** of apple if they keep doing this **** this piece of **** probably the worst version of android i ******* hate it im sorry if i sound like a psycho but im having a very hard time because of this trash!(sorry if my grammar is bad english is no my main language) atleast swearing makes you calm down a bit.
Welcome to AC!
English may not be your first language but I think you got all the bad ones out :)

Which device you have ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android ****** Central!:p

What kinds of mods are you talking about?

7uper7even

May 22, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone ! :)

I'm new here, and I just wanted to know about your thoughts on the “confirmed” version of Android 11 that has been out for a while now.

As everyone said from the beginning of this topic : scoped storage issue was supposed to get fixed before the public released (in theory). Of course, it was not certain that Google would take care of this but, now everyone has Android 11 and if this issue is still there, this is a problem to me.

I'm an Android user since Android 6.0, and I admit liking how much possibilities and liberties there was at this time. Especially talking about “File management” system. But now, even for small usual actions (like importing a file into my browser, allowing simple apps/games to get access to the “Android/obb or data” folder or even sharing documents to my friends on Discord), scoped storage blocks it all up ! :eek:

Honestly, I never had issues with the default Android 6.0/7.0/8.0 File manager (I sure had preferences for ES File Manager, CX File Manager or X-plore, but the default one wasn't a problem to me). Even the Android One File manager was good (not sure if it was supposed to work properly, but it used for me). Then suddenly, Google decides to lock every sharing actions with this default app to ensure security, in which I'm okay with as long as it does its job ! But instead, for every sharing actions I want to make, I have 100% certitude that when I'll click my file and select “open”, it will bring me back to my app with no file selected and this is very frustrating !!! :'(

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I still have this issue because of my device, so if needed, here are my phone infos :

Brand: Xiaomi
Model: Poco X3 (NFC version)
Android version: 11 RKQ1.200826.002 (with 2022-03-01 security update)
MIUI version: 12.5.7 Stable (just in case the problem would come from this)

I had 2 Android phones that weren't Xiaomi before having my Poco X3 and I have to say I like how Xiaomi handles their version of the OS. Most of the option we could find on a regular android phone are there (kinda obvious since it's using the OS) unfortunately they couldn't get as far as they wanted because of Android 11 security locks. What I like on Xiaomi is their 10 seconds warnings whenever you tried to install an APK file from unknown sources or tried to allow permissions to untrustworthy apps. I always thought it was a good idea (And I'm sure a few other brands do the same). 10 seconds... It's long, annoying, but it's enough time for the users to understand the gravity of their responsibilities when doing unrecommended actions on their device. To me, Xiaomi proved that Google can make long annoying warnings to make sure the user knows what they are doing and to prevent the company from being held accountable. No scoped storage needed... :-/

If you guys know anything more about this topic or if you want to discuss a bit, I would be pleased to read your answers. I know there is no true fix about scoped storage, but I'd just like to talk about it with someone to have a better understanding of the situation. Thanks in advance.

(I am not English, sorry for any grammar mistakes. Also mentioning I know what the topic is about but didn't truly understood all the statements that have been made around it, so I might repeat things you might have read on the topic.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781