Why is the design of Android 12 so horrible?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The drop down menu now shows these giant tiles for Android 12. Why can't we just choose to have the icons back instead and still move them around-since that was apparently the whole point. This is a terrible design choice. I personally hate the tile thing being huge with the text. Make it go away. I don't need a giant white bar for the brightness either, the sun by itself was so much cleaner. And to top it off, it would be nice to pick the size of the icons on the display and the size of the font differently. I don't need my font so large it can be read from space, but it would be nice to make the icons on the home screens larger than tiny points. The blockiness of this design is just super ugly. I'm going to have to download a bunch of third party widgets to make up for some of this horribleness, especially since several apps were outright deleted. Is there a way to get around some of the atrocious design updates? Any suggestions?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The drop down menu now shows these giant tiles for Android 12. Why can't we just choose to have the icons back instead and still move them around-since that was apparently the whole point. This is a terrible design choice. I personally hate the tile thing being huge with the text. Make it go away. I don't need a giant white bar for the brightness either, the sun by itself was so much cleaner. And to top it off, it would be nice to pick the size of the icons on the display and the size of the font differently. I don't need my font so large it can be read from space, but it would be nice to make the icons on the home screens larger than tiny points. The blockiness of this design is just super ugly. I'm going to have to download a bunch of third party widgets to make up for some of this horribleness, especially since several apps were outright deleted. Is there a way to get around some of the atrocious design updates? Any suggestions?
Oh my, I have been hating android 11, 12 sounds even worse.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont have any issues with Android 12 design but if you like to join the community and speak about it your more then welcome.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154
Thank you, actually I've been a member since maybe 2013 or 2014, but thank you for your input.

I was not expecting the absence of the three function glyphs on the bottom. I miss the back burner button in the middle. On Android 11.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, actually I've been a member since maybe 2013 or 2014, but thank you for your input.

I was not expecting the absence of the three function glyphs on the bottom. I miss the back burner button in the middle. On Android 11.
Oh wow i see your long time member here , that's great

You referring to the gestures they had previously ? Yeah i agree they should of let both options

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

mustang7757 was directing that to the OP, who posted as a guest.:)

I would say that much of this is subjective. Some people like bigger and bolder styles, while others may prefer smaller, more restrained ones. Speaking as someone who's gradually becoming an old fogey, I don't mind the somewhat larger fonts and buttons.:p

You can always install a 3rd party launcher to customize your homescreens much more (but that won't change a lot of how the system appears, like the notification panel and Quick Settings).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I would say that much of this is subjective. Some people like bigger and bolder styles, while others may prefer smaller, more restrained ones. Speaking as someone who's gradually becoming an old fogey, I don't mind the somewhat larger fonts and buttons.:p

You can always install a 3rd party launcher to customize your homescreens much more (but that won't change a lot of how the system appears, like the notification panel and Quick Settings).
Lol.. I didn't realize mrsmumbles was thinking i was referring to join lol

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi! I like the larger fonts too. I'll get used to it, I guess.

My Nokia XR20 isn't very small or restrained lol. I like it very much though.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow i see your long time member here , that's great

You referring to the gestures they had previously ? Yeah i agree they should of let both options
Yes, there was no reason to do away with the three buttons. I don't see why they have to change that, just for the sake of change.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there was no reason to do away with the three buttons. I don't see why they have to change that, just for the sake of change.

Are you talking about 3 button navigation? You can still do that -- go to Settings>System>Gestures>System Navigation and pick 3-button navigation. It's the 2 button navigation they did away with back with the Pixel 4.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about 3 button navigation? You can still do that -- go to Settings>System>Gestures>System Navigation and pick 3-button navigation. It's the 2 button navigation they did away with back with the Pixel 4.
Thank you!!! I wasn't aware of that!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, you made my day!!! Thank you so much for posting the setting. I am ok with Android 11 now!

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Like the old Greek said, "change is the only constant in life."

I had a problem with some of the bugs that appear to have been fixed with the Nov sec update. The larger buttons took me as. not needed, but after a week, back to going with the flow.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm liking the larger and bolder design!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll probably get used to most of the bolder settings tiles, but I despise the bigger volume and screen brightness settings. Difficult to get a precise feel for them, especially when dialing in a lower setting. Also don't like that the notification shade extends all the way to the bottom, even when there are only one or two notifications. Would like it dynamically size itself to fit the current notifications.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably get used to most of the bolder settings tiles, but I despise the bigger volume and screen brightness settings. Difficult to get a precise feel for them, especially when dialing in a lower setting. Also don't like that the notification shade extends all the way to the bottom, even when there are only one or two notifications. Would like it dynamically size itself to fit the current notifications.
I'm having issues with the screen brightness too, but I thought it was a hardware problem. I can't get the brightness bright enough. I'm just going to turn it all the way up.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm having issues with the screen brightness too, but I thought it was a hardware problem. I can't get the brightness bright enough. I'm just going to turn it all the way up.

You can turn the adaptive brightness setting off to keep a constant level. However, the adaptive brightness feature will gradually learn from the changes you make and be more to your liking.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like android 12 and have no issues with it. The material you design changes are awesome imo. Can’t really find much of anything I don’t like. The extra customization you get using 3rd party launchers might be a better fit for those having issues with the pixel launcher and android 12. For me android has always been about customization that iOS never has ever given us. If you don’t like something there is usually always a solution. If the pixel launcher doesn’t give you entirely what you need then try another, nothing to lose and everything to gain and if you don’t like it You can always go back anytime. win/win :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You can turn the adaptive brightness setting off to keep a constant level. However, the adaptive brightness feature will gradually learn from the changes you make and be more to your liking.
That's good, if it learns your preferences. I switched it off because it's just easier for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20