Any camera blocking apps for 12 that actually work?

kvndoom

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So I was excited to hear that android 12 allowed camera blocking in the pull-down menu.

But the implementation is stupid. Any app that uses the camera asks you upon opening if you want to enable the camera, and clicking Yes undoes the block. Totally defeats the purpose of blocking access in the first place!

None of the camera blocking apps I've tried from Play Store have worked in Android 12. Even after giving them administrative access, they don't prevent the camera from working.

Where I work, even an accidental picture can lead to suspension or termination. I used to use a camera block app and hide its icon. Now this option is gone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the blocking that you're asking for is not what Google intended this feature to be for. Blocking Camera permission for an app will make sure any app you installed can't surreptitiously access your camera. It sounds like you want to completely disable the Camera app. To do that, go to Settings>Apps​, select Camera, then Disable. You can always re-enable it when you need it.

kvndoom

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think the blocking that you're asking for is not what Google intended this feature to be for. Blocking Camera permission for an app will make sure any app you installed can't surreptitiously access your camera. It sounds like you want to completely disable the Camera app. To do that, go to Settings>Apps​, select Camera, then Disable. You can always re-enable it when you need it.

Thanks, but that only affects the Camera app itself. It does not disable the camera being used in other apps. I can open messaging or Whatsapp, tap the camera icon and still be able to take pictures. I need an app that blocks the camera phone-wide.

I guess my best hope is waiting for 3rd party app developers to catch up. Better chance of that than google actually making something functional.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think if you are that concerned about accidental photos, you should find a way to physically cover the lenses. Software always has a potential to glitch, including any blocking app. For example, if your phone has to reboot, the blocking app may not restart automatically.

But probably the bigger question here is are you really that prone to taking accidental photos? If so, I would try to figure out why, rather than blocking the camera. In my years of using smartphones, I've never accidentally taken a photo in any app.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
They do make phones without cameras. If this is just a room you enter from time-to-time for meetings or to locate information, leave it outside. When I worked for the gov't there were certain rooms in certain locations (mostly locations in VA and DC) where we had to place our phones in a wall box since phones were NOT allowed past the doors and that applied to everyone who entered...no exceptions. Strange, we could carry our handguns but no phones.

kvndoom

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
They do make phones without cameras. If this is just a room you enter from time-to-time for meetings or to locate information, leave it outside. When I worked for the gov't there were certain rooms in certain locations (mostly locations in VA and DC) where we had to place our phones in a wall box since phones were NOT allowed past the doors and that applied to everyone who entered...no exceptions. Strange, we could carry our handguns but no phones.

It's the whole of company premises. When Blackberry was a thing, the cameraless models were all that were allowed on premises.
After it became clear around 2013/14 that Blackberry was toast the company had to change its policies to reflect the reality of >99% of all phones were going to have cameras. Anyone can carry their personal phone but picture taking is forbidden. Company-issued smartphones have cameras disabled through policy, but with personal devices it's an honor system. I use(d) a global blocking app as a preventative measure.

I communicate with my wife primarily through Whatsapp and its send button is literally a few pixels to the right of its "open camera" button.

Anyway, I'm off topic having to justify why I need what I need. I'll just wait until there's an app update that gets me where I need to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38