11-01-2022 04:31 PM
46 12
tools
    Why is there no real iTunes alternative for Android? Do they figure everyone is just streaming now and don't WANT their music library on their phone?
    10-18-2022 09:43 AM
    Since that's the way most users go about music, yes (unfortunately for holdouts). Also remember that Google is NOT in the business of selling audio like Apple does, so devoting resources for other than a basic app for their OS when so many other 3rd party options abound (again, the POINT of Android), does not make financial sense.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-18-2022 01:16 PM
    I don't understand. I specifically don't like iTunes and instead I like Android for how I can just drop mp3 files into an Android folder on the phone/tablet, as opposed to having to fight with an awkward iTunes like sync tool.
    nuangel2 likes this.
    10-18-2022 01:31 PM
    They had play music, while not quite an iTunes alternative it was great, eliminated it for the trash known as YouTube Music.
    10-18-2022 01:37 PM
    I haven't loaded music (MP3) to any of my phones since the birth of Spotify and Pandora. It was such a royal PITA having to load and organize then access all the songs just to listen in my car.
    Laura Knotek and vnmous1 like this.
    10-18-2022 02:10 PM
    I don't understand. I specifically don't like iTunes and instead I like Android for how I can just drop mp3 files into an Android folder on the phone/tablet, as opposed to having to fight with an awkward iTunes like sync tool.
    Most of my music playing is with Spotify. When I want to play local music, I use Poweramp. Poweramp works great, supports FLAC and OGG, and even displays album art.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    10-18-2022 02:23 PM
    Maybe the question should have been what's a good basic, organized music player for my iTunes library then? I have Amazon Music , Pandora, Spotify, and Sirius XM Radio. But I have a lot of music I've ripped to my iTunes library and sometimes just want to listen to as a complete album of XYZ.
    10-18-2022 04:27 PM
    All my ripped music (probably way less than most people) are mp3s. I've found most default music players that come pre-loaded on my devices work well enough for all of them, and recognize and "organize" them all by the embedded tags (eg: by artists, album, song, genre, release date....). I do find the situation overall with all the different services as a pain in the butt (eg: spotify, prime, etc...) but I am not sure if there is yet any service that integrates them all.

For in my vehicle with Android Auto, I use VLC.
    Aflaaaak and nuangel2 like this.
    10-18-2022 05:52 PM
    All my ripped music (probably way less than most people) are mp3s. I've found most default music players that come pre-loaded on my devices work well enough for all of them, and recognize and "organize" them all by the embedded tags (eg: by artists, album, song, genre, release date....). I do find the situation overall with all the different services as a pain in the butt (eg: spotify, prime, etc...) but I am not sure if there is yet any service that integrates them all.

For in my vehicle with Android Auto, I use VLC.
    Just load them in a folder and install VLC? I have used VLC on my PC for years for videos.
    10-18-2022 05:58 PM
    Just load them in a folder and install VLC? I have used VLC on my PC for years for videos.
    All my songs are organized by folders and sub-folders, but only because of where they came from. You might have to first experiment a bit with only a few mp3s, but I don't think they have to be organized by folders and sub-folders at all. In theory I think (someone else will probably be able to confirm) all your mp3s could be in a single flat folder, hundreds/thousands of files in there in one folder only, and VLC (and most other default players) will "organize them" based on the embedded tags (assuming all your ripped files are tagged). In VLC settings, you might need to tell it what folders to monitor for your "library".

Maybe also wait for a few others to also post and chime in to confirm (I am not a massive audio person like some people are).
    Aflaaaak likes this.
    10-18-2022 06:08 PM
    You could try Foobar 2000. That's what I use. Not the cleanest interface, but it works. And, songs in sequence play through without a pause (great for those Pink Floyd albums).

It's similar to VLC noted above, and will organize by the embedded tags.

I only play uncompressed wave or compressed flac files. Usually full CD quality or high res. I won't make MP3 files from material I rip, or record from my own vinyl collection.
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    10-18-2022 06:23 PM
    Maybe the question should have been what's a good basic, organized music player for my iTunes library then? I have Amazon Music , Pandora, Spotify, and Sirius XM Radio. But I have a lot of music I've ripped to my iTunes library and sometimes just want to listen to as a complete album of XYZ.
    I'd give PowerAmp a try then, as Laura Knotek had mentioned above. Probably one of the most popular 3rd party media players out there.
    Aflaaaak likes this.
    10-18-2022 06:56 PM
    All my songs are organized by folders and sub-folders, but only because of where they came from. You might have to first experiment a bit with only a few mp3s, but I don't think they have to be organized by folders and sub-folders at all. In theory I think (someone else will probably be able to confirm) all your mp3s could be in a single flat folder, hundreds/thousands of files in there in one folder only, and VLC (and most other default players) will "organize them" based on the embedded tags (assuming all your ripped files are tagged). In VLC settings, you might need to tell it what folders to monitor for your "library".

Maybe also wait for a few others to also post and chime in to confirm (I am not a massive audio person like some people are).
    Probably want to keep the subfolders by Artist and Album, instead of a giant pit of music. Looks like most of them are M4P files, coming from the way they were ripped into iTunes
    nuangel2 likes this.
    10-18-2022 07:10 PM
    I'd give PowerAmp a try then, as Laura Knotek had mentioned above. Probably one of the most popular 3rd party media players out there.
    Poweramp looks pretty cool. I'll give it a shot on the "trial"
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-18-2022 07:15 PM
    Most of my music playing is with Spotify. When I want to play local music, I use Poweramp. Poweramp works great, supports FLAC and OGG, and even displays album art.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    I'll give it a try ;D.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-18-2022 07:17 PM
    Probably want to keep the subfolders by Artist and Album, instead of a giant pit of music. Looks like most of them are M4P files, coming from the way they were ripped into iTunes
    iTunes used to be able to organize/re-organize the actual files of a Library by also folder and sub-folder based on things like artist and album. It was a setting I think, something about "keep files organized by folders..." or something like that, which one had to check or uncheck. Useful instead of just the massive collection of meaningless numbered folders, and for if moving the actual files elsewhere.
    10-18-2022 07:20 PM
    I haven't loaded music (MP3) to any of my phones since the birth of Spotify and Pandora. It was such a royal PITA having to load and organize then access all the songs just to listen in my car.
    I have been using my iPod Classic on our old 4Runner through the Aux input on the Sony stereo for years, but bought a new car and the Infotainment head unit makes a huge mess of trying to play from the iPod. I listen to XM a lot, but get sick of it sometimes and just want to listen to an album I already have. Figured Android Auto should do the trick, but need a player on my Pixel 6
    10-18-2022 07:21 PM
    I have been using my iPod Classic on our old 4Runner through the Aux input on the Sony stereo for years, but bought a new car and the Infotainment head unit makes a huge mess of trying to play from the iPod. I listen to XM a lot, but get sick of it sometimes and just want to listen to an album I already have. Figured Android Auto should do the trick, but need a player on my Pixel 6
    VLC works with Android Auto. For some reason, the default Samsungs Music Player Apps do not work with Android Auto.
    10-18-2022 07:23 PM
    They had play music, while not quite an iTunes alternative it was great, eliminated it for the trash known as YouTube Music.
    That's what I heard. Seems like they could come up with a decent music player natively. My Pixel 6 comes with a Camera app, why not Music?
    10-18-2022 07:23 PM
    VLC works with Android Auto. For some reason, the default Samsungs Music Player Apps do not work with Android Auto.
    Decisions, decisions . VLC, or Poweramp...
    10-18-2022 07:24 PM
    That's what I heard. Seems like they could come up with a decent music player natively. My Pixel 6 comes with a Camera app, why not Music?
    It probably wants you to use one of the Google Services, like YouTube Music or something. Just find a good/decent trusted 3rd Party Player instead.
    Aflaaaak likes this.
    10-18-2022 07:26 PM
    Try both of them, and a couple others.
    Aflaaaak and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-18-2022 07:27 PM
    I mainly use Smart Audiobook Player for playing local music but that is because most of my listening is done while working as a multi-drop delivery driver with frequent Play/Pauses and SABP is best for auto-skip back for when I resume playback. But I also use VLC for playlists which SABP does not support. I rarely stream from Spotify but can be handy for an /in memoriam/ listening session for any artist who has recently departed for The Great Gig in the Sky and for whom I have little of their stuff in my local library.
    10-19-2022 03:31 PM
    Too many to quote here, so I'm picking the latest and trying to address everything I have read. Strap yourselves in, boys!

I have used VLC and PowerAmp. VLC on PC PowerAmp on Android. The 4.99 I paid for PowerAmp was among the best app purchases I have ever done. Toss up between that and Nova Launcher Prime/Pro. VLC...never really cared for their UI. But I will wholeheartedly admit, who cares if it looks ugly as long as it works. And it works well.

As for music organization and playing...I have a dedicated folder for music (and subfolders for artists, then albums) on one of my HDDs, and I actually use Windows Media Player (the newer one; looks like something they stole from PowerAmp), and link my HDD folder to that. Since everything is a standard format, I have had no problems playing.

As for Android, I just drop the artist folders I want into a Music folder on my phone and link PowerAmp to that folder. Boom, I am playing music with one of the best apps for an equalizer I have ever used. (actually, to keep things simple, I have a Pixel folder of music on my desktop. Essentially a copy of what is in my main folder. This way I can easily trash it and start a new playlist over)

PowerAmp works quite well with Android Auto that is preinstalled on my factory head unit (2016 Ford Fiesta). The interface is nice, large buttons if you choose to use the on screen display for input.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the library on iTunes. If they are all mp3s, you may not need to do anything.
    10-19-2022 08:39 PM
    Too many to quote here, so I'm picking the latest and trying to address everything I have read. Strap yourselves in, boys!

I have used VLC and PowerAmp. VLC on PC PowerAmp on Android. The 4.99 I paid for PowerAmp was among the best app purchases I have ever done. Toss up between that and Nova Launcher Prime/Pro. VLC...never really cared for their UI. But I will wholeheartedly admit, who cares if it looks ugly as long as it works. And it works well.

As for music organization and playing...I have a dedicated folder for music (and subfolders for artists, then albums) on one of my HDDs, and I actually use Windows Media Player (the newer one; looks like something they stole from PowerAmp), and link my HDD folder to that. Since everything is a standard format, I have had no problems playing.

As for Android, I just drop the artist folders I want into a Music folder on my phone and link PowerAmp to that folder. Boom, I am playing music with one of the best apps for an equalizer I have ever used. (actually, to keep things simple, I have a Pixel folder of music on my desktop. Essentially a copy of what is in my main folder. This way I can easily trash it and start a new playlist over)

PowerAmp works quite well with Android Auto that is preinstalled on my factory head unit (2016 Ford Fiesta). The interface is nice, large buttons if you choose to use the on screen display for input.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the library on iTunes. If they are all mp3s, you may not need to do anything.
    I think that's the plan, PowerAmp and load my existing iTunes Music Artist folders to a Music folder on my Pixel 6 (mostly M4A files).

I jumped from a 1984 Dodge pickup to a 2022 4Runner and thought Toyota might have had time to develop a decent head unit by now. I was sorely mistaken. It feels more like something out of 2002, not 2022! I have only used Android Auto once before, so assuming it will be better at navigating my phone than the head unit's stock Windows Millennium grade software is at navigating my iPod .
    10-20-2022 07:43 AM
46 12