Retaining downloaded Google Map

DavidF1940

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I can download and cache parts of Google maps for use off-line, but the cache clears if I turn off the phone. Is there no way I can retain the map(s) even with turning off? The whole point is to be able to download and store a map at home for use abroad without roaming charges. Do I really have to do this just before leaving for abroad and also keeping phone on all the time? (I'm not a frequent phone user and usually turn it off when not in use).

Whilst exploring this issue further, I note that I have loads of "My Places" listed, going back several months. I did not actually ask for these to be listed and I want to get rid of them but can't. Google Maps Help says

"For most My Places items, clicking on the entry shows you that information on the map. You can also long-press on the entry for additional options such as editing or deleting. For example, try long-pressing on a recent search item to remove it from your activity history" but this doesn't seem to work. Is this only OK on later Android versions? I have Map version 6.3.

Thanks

Last edited: