Filesystem?

Gogol

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S access to filesystem?

Allright ... I am quite excited about this new first Gingerbread phone, the Nexus S.

But, if I read the specification correctly, it does NOT have micro SD expansion slot.

So, my question, can we still use this phone as external USB drive?

Because, as far as I know, there is no Android file manager app that can browse to the internal memory.

I don't mind for not having external expansion slot because it has 16 GB internal memory. That's plenty from HTC Desire user like me :)

However, if it cannot be used for external USB drive, that will be a really let down :(

Any clue?

Last edited:

Gogol

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It is really a let down :(

Because Nexus S does not have external expansion slot, we cannot use it as external USB drive!

Here is from the Android 2.3 user guide, page 48:

" ... The operating system
manages and carefully guards internal storage, because it can contain your private
information; you can’t view its contents when you connect the phone to a computer
with a USB cable. ..."

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Why in the name of all that is good in the world would anyone make a phone without an SD card slot? That is just diabolical!

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It is really a let down :(

Because Nexus S does not have external expansion slot, we cannot use it as external USB drive!

Here is from the Android 2.3 user guide, page 48:

" ... The operating system
manages and carefully guards internal storage, because it can contain your private
information; you can?t view its contents when you connect the phone to a computer
with a USB cable. ..."

That makes no sense. On my captivate, which has this same setup (I don't have a microSD card) it still allows me to use /sdcard as mass storage. Everything else in / is hidden though. Why would they not do the same with the Nexus S. I really hope that's what your quote is saying, and not that /sdcard is hidden as well.

Oddly enough though, on all of my linux boxes, my Captivate mounts 2 different drives. /sdcard and /. My windows machine only sees /sdcard.