Improvements to Audio in Gingerbread

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Are there any improvements to audio in Gingerbread? I know there are some changes to the Music player, but are there any changes under the hood in terms of added codecs, better control of audio recording, or any other improvements? Android audio has been woefully deficient compared to Iphone, Windows and Palm. I'd like to see that change.

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I hope audio gets improved especially via bluetooth in the car. The music player and Listen apps keep fighting for control over my car stereo.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I hope audio gets improved especially via bluetooth in the car. The music player and Listen apps keep fighting for control over my car stereo.

That sounds like an app problem. I sure hope they improved the streaming audio quality. Sound quality over bluetooth isn't that great to being with, and without BT 3.0 it's not getting any better.

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
THIS LOOKS HOPEFUL:

From Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Open API for native audio

The platform provides a software implementation of Khronos OpenSL ES, a standard API that gives applications access to powerful audio controls and effects from native code. Applications can use the API to manage audio devices and control audio input, output, and processing directly from native code.

------------------

http://androidcommunity.com/android-2-3-gingerbread-features-and-list-of-whats-new-20101206/

Mixable Audio Effects
New audio API allows developers creation of rich audio environments with equalization, bass, headphone virtualization, and reverb. Mixing of multiple effects in local tracks or globally.

. . . Also AAC encoding and AMR wideband encoding is included for apps to capture higher quality audio than just narrowband.

---------------------
Now THAT'S What I'm Talkin' Bout! High quality recording!

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Jawbone Icon and it now has capabilities for listening to music. It is the only Jawbone that has this benefit. Have to download from their My Talk website. I used to have BB and my music sounded great and now I have the Incredible and with my BT my music also sounds great.

I recommend this Jawbone line-up The ICON family are great bluetooths

blip01

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Support for New Media Formats
Built in support for VP8 video compression as well as WebM open container format. Also AAC encoding and AMR wideband encoding is included for apps to capture higher quality audio than just narrowband.

Sweet baby Jesus I hope this helps the camcorder audio. The audio recording is so bad in the app it is virtually useless(though I'm ok with the video quality). At times you can't even tell what the audio is it's so garbled.

I was holding out hope that someone on XDA would come out with an improvement, but this looks much more promising.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Unless they changed speaker hardware from the Vibrant I must say the playback from the standard music app is MUCH better in the Nexus S. My audiophile Stepson noticed first. Louder, crisper, .. -Pk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power