Android still feels half baked...

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Why?!

Why is it that there's no pinch/zoom in corporate email/gmail?

Why does the stock android app not download html email from inside your exchange domain, but downloads outside html email fine?

Why does the media app completely blow compared to iPod/Zune on the iPhone/Wp7?

Why is there no acceleration in the browser?

Why is corp email black and gmail's white? I'm pretty sure it's not to differentiate between them, because anyone can tell their work email from personal email..

Dont get me wrong, I love Android, but I keep feeling that all this fast hardware is doing nothing but picking up the slack that the OS is failing at..

Why can a device such as the iPhone 3G run iOS so smoothly when the only way to get Android to run "smooth" is to throw more hardware at it. Sounds like an IT infrastructure person's wet dream.

Come on Google. Quit releasing Android as a half baked BETA OS and get with it!

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Are we discussing the gmail and regular pop mail apps? They both have the ability to copy and paste. I don't have any exchange accounts so I cannot talk about that. (gmail = menu/more/select text. Not very elegant but it does work)

Why pinch and zoom isn't there does confuse me though.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Acceleration on the browser exists, assuming you're either on Gingerbread, the native browsers on the HTC Sense and Samsung Touchwiz, or the Dolphin browser, HD or HD Mini, as well as Firefox 4 Mobile, Opera Mini and Opera Mobile.

Media apps differ from phone to phone. That is one thing they never stay the same. Having said this, as an iPod Touch user, I don't see how the default Gingerbread music app can be bad in any way. The Honeycomb music app is better still. I don't know much about Motorola's particular media app, but the one for HTC stands up pretty well and the one for the Samsung Galaxy S is the prettiest I've seen.

The default Gallery app for pictures and videos is the best I've seen on any phone, but unfortunately you won't experience it with a Motorola or HTC phone. It's seen with the Nexus, all Samsungs, LGs, and the latest generation and updates of the Sony Ericsson phones.

Surprisingly the email app on the HTC Sense allows for pinch and zoom. Yes, you can hitch your corporate Exchange there. You can also set up GMail on the default HTC Sense email app and get pinch and zoom on GMail.

Of course, all this does not mean it lets Google off the hook to even leave the gaps the OEMs have to fill in.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I would personally complain more that the Android browser needs to improve its HTML5 compatibility.

Running the HTML5 test, I would only get 182 (much better than IE9's 150, or IE7's 17).

The iOS Safari would get 206 on the same test.

Google Chrome 10 would get a resounding 288, and Chromium 11 gets 293.

Interestingly, the most HTML5 browser on Android, or in any mobile, is mobile Firefox 4, which scores 235. Opera Mobile 11 for Android, scores right behind it at 234.

overllord

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Good questions

Coming from a BlackBerry Storm - and largely considering Android and Apple, as kiddie devices in the past, I put off getting an Android for the past few years as I wanted to wait for Android and it's apps to mature. I dropped my BB recently and cracked the screen. As I was due a free upgrade, decided to go a different route for a Fascinate.

It hasn't been smooth. Email and messaging are years behind BB, the default programs lack basic features that K-9 and Improved Email are only now implementing. Also, the lack of basic notification LEDs and the poor battery life if driving me insane. I only had to charge my BB every 2 days or so. With the Fascinate, I feel like the one tethered instead of the device as it drains every 4-6 hours.

The copy and paste features you mention above are other annoyances as well. I expect Android to improve, but thought it already well beyond where it currently is...

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You're never going to get an android device to have the battery life of a blackberry, it just isn't going to happen. Android phones are just constantly doing so much more and blackberry phones compress data so much more that they just really aren't comparable to each other. However, with that being said I would definitely agree with you that blackberry has quite a few things down that android phones still have some catching up to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy