Do YOU think 2.3 is worth the hype?

Do you think Gingerbread is worth the hype?

• Total voters

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of people excited or complaining (depending on wether or not they are getting Gingerbread) Myself being on a Fascinate and waiting for Froyo, who knows. Do you think it is worth the hype?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes! Actually, the leap between 2.1 and 2.2 (Froyo) was MAJOR and so is this advance beyond Froyo! Lots of little nice touches, great speed, and more. So far, it's been behaving well, despite being a manual install over a stock Froyo. And, best of all, most of the Froyo-designed apps are still working with GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I went from a HTC Hero to the Nexus S so I never got to to play with FroYo but from 2.1 Gingerbread is a HUGE leap. It so much faster and smoother. I enjoy it and I think that even from 2.2 it is a HUGE jump.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Should everyone freak out over it? No. But is it an improvement to get excited over? Yes.

Personally I really enjoy the little UI touches, makes the platform feel much more refined.

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I was sort of excited about it, and I'm still looking forward to it, but overall what I am truly looing forward to is a whole overhaul to the look of android to make it more polished and ideally adding more features and speed improvements and gpu ui acceleration and what not. I imagine all of this is a bit further off than anyone would like it to be though.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Nothing huge, but definitely something that you should be excited about. The UI changes and increased power management will be enough for most people to enjoy the update.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
In some ways, GB seems to be what the X was originally designed to use as an operating system. There's a "finished" feeling to how the X operates ... smooth, fast, impressive in its native capabilities. Best of all, it's still competitive to newer phones and, compared to many, superior! Very hard to find something worth an "upgrade."

SdotJ

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
No knock to the op but don't we go through this every update? No update lives up to the hype because we create impossible expectations of what each update will bring. Now with that said I'm happy with the enhancements gingerbread brings after playing with my sisters nexus s but I have no doubt HTC sense will not incorporate most of the cool UI touches. Wish Google would force HTC to limit how much sense could change of the OS but that's just wishful thinking.

rod_munch

May 9, 2011
Visit site
every update has been marginally better. i just went from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and it is much snappier and boot time is quicker.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread is great!

I had a few android devices. my last one was a Galaxy S. and now I got my Optimus V. I cant say the V is better than the Galaxy, but Gingerbread sure changed the game for this "entry level" phone.

my galaxy had 2.1, then upgraded to 2.2 (took forever btw) and it just never felt right.. it wasnt the Touchwiz ui, it wasnt the subtle animations or anything. it was a deeper level. froyo is a step up from 2.1 but Gingerbread really is where android is truley starting to shine as a mature mobile OS.

also my friends who have some high end devices HATE HATE HATE that my little 150$ prepaid android phone runs 2.3.4 AND performs better at day to day tasks then theirs (nice multicore cpu and dedicated gpu. not a gaming phone, but very snappy when paired with gingerbread)

I cant wait for Ice Cream Sandwich :) THAT is the os to get really excited for. will give iOS a run for its money when the community starts putting it on every device available. soon pretty much every phone is going to run a unified android (be it from the manufacturers or the community development).

times are looking very good for androids future

tomab21

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread update for Droid X is a total pile of ..... :mad: SO MANY things are going bad. In fact, when someone calls, a song in my music collection (same song always) plays in the background! Some message about sharing through DLNA, and a pop-up about Wi-Fi off also comes up. WHAT is happening? Battery also immediately begins to rapidly drain at this point, and phone warms up quite noticeably. Looking like I might hard-reset and update back to Froyo or whatever, if I can. If you own a Droid X and are looking to upgrade to Gingerbread, I'd wait awhile and see if there are any updates after June 8. I can't speak for all Droid X/Gingerbread instances, but mine is terrible!

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread update for Droid X is a total pile of ..... :mad: SO MANY things are going bad. In fact, when someone calls, a song in my music collection (same song always) plays in the background! Some message about sharing through DLNA, and a pop-up about Wi-Fi off also comes up. WHAT is happening? Battery also immediately begins to rapidly drain at this point, and phone warms up quite noticeably. Looking like I might hard-reset and update back to Froyo or whatever, if I can. If you own a Droid X and are looking to upgrade to Gingerbread, I'd wait awhile and see if there are any updates after June 8. I can't speak for all Droid X/Gingerbread instances, but mine is terrible!

Root it. You will be much happier.

Martin5005

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread

I downloaded GB but didn't install when I found out it messed up Netflix. And I won't until I know that's been fixed...........I love me Netflix!!! (EVO 3G)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair