Honeycomb Requirements?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So what everyone is talking about is that the "supposed" requirement for Honeycomb is dual-core. Well this is what I have found through my research.

Honeycomb is for tablets ONLY. So the dual-core is the requirement is for tablets only, not phones. I have no doubt that they will make a smartphone version of Honeycomb but not with the dual-core requirement.

If the dual-core requirement is true and not just for tablets why was the Nexus S created? That would mean that the Nexus S is already obsolete. And I know that Google would not do that to the Nexus S users. (Or maybe they would? I doubt it.) Also almost everyone doubts there will even be a requirement for Honeycomb.

This hasn't been confirmed from Google. So the whole dual-core requirement might not even be true. This is all speculation. I may be wrong. There is a good chance all of what I just typed is wrong but there is also a good chance that it isn't. What do you think? Do you agree with me or do you think I am a crazy.

Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think you're spot on about Honeycomb being for tablets. I wonder if they'll do like iOS and make a 3.1 version for phones (that's reversed, but same idea). Or they may just split the OS altogether (I think this will happen with all tablets at some point, just not sure if this is it).

Oh wait, are we talking about dual core? My bad :)

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you're spot on about Honeycomb being for tablets. I wonder if they'll do like iOS and make a 3.1 version for phones (that's reversed, but same idea). Or they may just split the OS altogether (I think this will happen with all tablets at some point, just not sure if this is it).

Oh wait, are we talking about dual core? My bad :)

Its okay. lol I think it will be somewhat like that.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
These could also just be tablet requirements as well. Keep in mind there will virtually be two separate versions of Honeycomb, one for Tabs and one for phones. I say virtually because it's the same OS, but there are very specific API's going into Honeycomb for tablet integration.

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
While I frankly don't care about tablets on Android, my concern is exactly what the OP has surmised in his post. Especially cos I have a Nexus S coming in tomorrow. :D

However, I think Dan Morrill, the Android Team's Open Source & Compatibility Tech Lead kinda said that there won't be any minimum requirement of a dual core. And add to that the fact that the new dev phone from Google, the Nexus S, which is brand new is a single-core phone (though a powerful processor+GPU combo at that) will ensure that at the most a few things will be left out with the only-dual-core tag, which in all probability will be some game or the other. The UI and other things will definitely come to most phones.