Any word on a Sprint ICS Android Phone?

Z Overlord

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Disappointing to see the Nexus Prime is a plastic Samsung phone with no physical buttons, but I'm more disappointed to see no Sprint support. Their prices are hard to beat for 4G!

I wanted the Nexus since it's a phone that always has support (look at the Nexus One rocking 2.6.5 while newer phones will never get past 2.2) and is a reference phone made by Google, so many apps are optimized for Nexus phones.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
IMO expect an HTC EVO HD 4.5-5" display superphone with ICS around Thanksgiving that will blow away the Nexus just like the original EVO did. HTC is very competitive, they have the resources, and they do not want to lose!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is that Sprint will keep introducing new Wimax phones up until around early to mid 2012. then all new phones will be LTE. so that means that the first ICS phone from Sprint will be Wimax.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Saw that but depends on what the phone will have. If the phone will have LTE radios and will work on Sprints network next year. I will save up for it. It will make the most sense since they can run both LTE and WiMax 4G services. But if its only going to run WiMax then I'll pass and wait for the GSIII LTE.

On there it shows 10/17/2011 so if they are getting it soon then they might be launching it around Black Friday or so.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just wonder what HTC sense will look like on top of that fully refined ICS UI? Like why do we even need it?

Personally ill take a Wimax GN since like most people here, ill be springing for a new phone in a year anyway. 2 year contract be damned.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I just wonder what HTC sense will look like on top of that fully refined ICS UI? Like why do we even need it?

Personally ill take a Wimax GN since like most people here, ill be springing for a new phone in a year anyway. 2 year contract be damned.

Me either. I don't care if it has Wimax or LTE, hell, I don't even care if doesn't have one or the other, I just want the phone. I think it's more important worrying about the phone coming to Sprint soon rather than worrying about what radios are going to be in it if it doesn't come here in the first place...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Remember that even if a Nexus Device has an LTE radio on Sprint the coverage may be spotty until the infrastructure is in place, just like WiMax. People complained about the lack of WiMax coverage and will be likely to complain when LTE starts to roll out.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
People complained about the lack of WiMax coverage and will be likely to complain when LTE starts to roll out.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Yep. Sprint holding out for LTE on this device is dumb. By the time LTE truly hits prime time as fickle as the AC crowd is about their devices, it won't matter.

If its more googles decision however, still blows but I can understand the engineering considerations.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, someone in the Sprint Galaxy Nexus forum said they have a friend who works for Samsung ( or somewhere along the lines of that) who says that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus will be released in a month or 2 from now.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm putting my money on the true ICS experience from Sprint being a Galaxy Nexus released about mid 2012 becoming a "flagship" device sort of speak when Sprint starts to light up the LTE network.

So yes, I'm saying Galaxy Nexus-LTE on Sprint. Doesn't make any sense to develop a Galaxy Nexus with WiMax.

I also see this as a good thing for Sprint just for the fact that if they do go this route and hold off a bit while big red and others are rushing out the Galaxy Nexus, Sprint can sit back and let them do the "beta" testing sorta speak and let them find the bugs and such which there always is... A mid 2012 release would be perfect because most of the general bugs and fixes would be available and in place to jump on board with a solid Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE.

Wishful thinking right? I hope it comes true.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mid 2012? Your nuts. By then how many more attractive phones will be out? Oh right, and your assuming the initial LTE rollout will out shine Wimax coverage.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Mid 2012? Your nuts. By then how many more attractive phones will be out? Oh right, and your assuming the initial LTE rollout will out shine Wimax coverage.

Yes I believe where ever there is LTE on initial roll out will still out shine Wimax. I have Wimax coverage where I live and its okay at best. Even when I have gone a few miles away to a good area for WiMax coverage I'm getting rocked by someone standing right next to me with LTE.

Back to the topic... Yes I believe LTE will be better than Wimax in any given form and when you say attractive, your talking phones in general. Many people ATM and for the next few months will be concentrated on ICS for the Nexus lines (Galaxy Nexus or its older relatives), since it appears that most devices in general will be waiting until the new year to get ICS only to have it hacked apart by UI overlays such as TouchWiz or Sense.

While your waiting on your attractive devices I will be enjoying ICS on my NS4G.. Oh wait, scratch that.. I have already enjoyed ICS in a solid ported SDK build from one of AC's own in house developers ;)

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Your thinking in a bubble there sir. The GN will be an after-thought by mid next year for most not in this "hardcore" community. ICS will see implementation on dozens of new phones first half 2012. And there is already talk of HTC and a quad core handset for 2012. GeWiz

Also, someone should share the knowledge of how an initial rollout of LTE will be > than a 4 year old sprint-wimax marriage. YES YES YES, Wimax sucks sure, but we are talking coverage. Will Sprint go down that road again of selling you a phone touted for features (LTE 4G) that isn't even ready in your town until x months away?

OK, there are obviously 2 camps here. But I cant imagine that there will be no new "Nexus" phone LTE ready on sprint by the end of 2012 (just in time for the end of the world) anyway.

The time for frivolous consumption is NOW.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your thinking in a bubble there sir. The GN will be an after-thought by mid next year for most not in this "hardcore" community. ICS will see implementation on dozens of new phones first half 2012. And there is already talk of HTC and a quad core handset for 2012. GeWiz

Also, someone should share the knowledge of how an initial rollout of LTE will be > than a 4 year old sprint-wimax marriage. YES YES YES, Wimax sucks sure, but we are talking coverage. Will Sprint go down that road again of selling you a phone touted for features (LTE 4G) that isn't even ready in your town until x months away?

OK, there are obviously 2 camps here. But I cant imagine that there will be no new "Nexus" phone LTE ready on sprint by the end of 2012 (just in time for the end of the world) anyway.

The time for frivolous consumption is NOW.

All good points.. .. Well I would like to think that Sprint has to know what they are up against with the change over to LTE from Wimax.. They are going to have to do it fast and efficiently... I know thats not in Sprint dictionary but if they plan on surviving a change over of that type going up against established big red and now AT & T, others turning on LTE its gonna have to go down fast and across the board...

The mention of quad cores and stuff doesn't impress me.... Name some real things taking advantage of even dual cores and their capabilities... Really there isn't.... They can make quad cores hitting 5 ghz... Not going to change the playing field until the devs behind the apps and OS design and put code into place or play that takes advantage of the new speeds and capabilities... That is still some distance away.... Heck the devs today are just getting used to pushing single cores to their real limits...

ICS will be on many devices and I don't believe the Nexus in any form will be a forgotten memory by mid 2012 or later... Remember its the development phone, its the one that gets the direct updates from Google first and things are optimized for the most.... Until Google decides to support a different device/model as its developer device the Nexus will always been at the front of the line regardless of what OS or UI's and carrier branding devices sporting the latest and greatest have to put up against it....

Right now I can turn up the juice on my NS4G and peg over 4500 benchmark score on a single core... That is what the average dual cores are getting so even on a device as old and outdated now as the Nexus S or NS4G they aren't as left in the dust as you would think...

ICS for everyone, but Galaxy Nexus/ICS/LTE... Now thats what I'm talking about :)

All on the NOW network...