Password timeout

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It may be that nobody knows the answer to this question yet ... I'm not actually sure whether this is an ICS question or just a "stock Android" question.

My employer requires that I have a password lock on my phone, so for usability I really need to be able to have the password prompt appear only after 30 minutes of inactivity (rather than every time the screen turns on). I know that these two timeouts (unsecured screen lock and password lock) can be separately configured with some ROMs; for example, it works that way on the stock Samsung Touchwiz builds, and CyanogenMod 7 gives you complete, granular control over all kinds of different timeout parameters. But I know that there are other phones that don't separate the two, meaning that if you set a password you have to re-enter it every time you turn the screen on.

I've never run vanilla Android, so I have no idea whether this is a standard feature that it's reasonable to expect in ICS. It's a major must-have feature for me, though, so it factors into my purchase decision for the Galaxy Nexus. Anybody got any clue?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, replying to my own post in case anybody else is interested in the answer to this. I decided to find out for myself, so I installed the ICS SDK and fired up the emulator.

At first I didn't see any such option. Under "Security > Screen Lock" you just get a choice between None, Slide, Pattern, PIN, and Password. I was prepared to be disappointed.

However, if you set a password, a new "Automatically lock" option appears. When you go into that option, you can choose how long AFTER going to sleep the phone locks, with choices ranging from 5 seconds to 30 minutes. This is completely separate from the sleep delay, which is under Display.

So I'm happy. This was literally the last question I needed to get resolved in order to make a decision whether to go with the Galaxy Nexus.

colliedawg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not have that 30min option since I have an Exchange email account mine lock immediately. Does anybody know a work around for this? This is really a pita!

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It turns out it doesn't work like I'd hoped either. As I posted earlier, you can set a delay for how long it locks after sleeping. Unfortunately, when you turn the screen off with the power button, it ALWAYS locks immediately, regardless of this setting. Not what I wanted at all.

Hopefully CyanogenMod 9 will be along before too long and will provide a solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800