Ics vs oems

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I dunno if this has been debated but i was just wondering what the heck is going on with google os updates and oem's!! First android 4.0 was released in November, stateside verizon in December, its now march with no other phone having 4.0. Jellybean is gonna be released around October/November + /-.
So by the time oems get ics tested and ported to older phones, which we should see around april, thats 6 months after 4.0 released. And thats just the newest phones, with older phones taking 6-9 months.
I woukd hate to be a oem engineer working my ass off on porting it over and finish and pop some champagne only to be given new orders for another port. Does it make any sense?
Apple announces new software, bam new phone, bam older models updated, bam bam bam. So isheep have a whole year to enjoy new os. I know its not googles fault but gotdammit something has to give. Or does it not bother oems with this process?
Rant done.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Android is constantly improving, as I hope it will continue to do. If having the latest OS version is important to you, you now have the option of getting a Nexus on any US carrier (Sprint to come soon) and always having the latest "letter release", currently I for Ice Cream Sandwich.

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I do have a nexus. I just hate to see the way things are going and I don't get paid to make those big decisions but it just seems like a no brainer to me that something should be done. Plenty of bionic, razor, rezound, sgs2 variants, etc etc owners out there who would like an answer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Apple announces new software, bam new phone, bam older models updated, bam bam bam. So isheep have a whole year to enjoy new os.

That's not a fair comparison, in my opinion. First, Apple has 4 phone models, which are all basicaly the same, and one of which hasn't been getting updated since 2010. Second, they make the hardware and the software so there's no extra work to be done on it to get it ready for the phone. Third, they don't let the carriers have a say if and when they update the software. Fourth, their major revisions in their software come about half as often as Android.

In the immensely diverse world that is Android, you just have to be a little more patient. Once Google takes full control of Motorola Mobility, then they will be in the same position as Apple, but with just those phones. Except they will still probably have the carrier approval step for updates.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you want fast updates, get a Nexus. If you want everyone else to get fast updates, get the carrier's and their bloatware out of the way. If you want faster updates than that, get the OEMs to stop adding their skins/UI's. If you want updates before they even come out, unlock/root. That's the hierarchy, plain and simple.

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I think we all know what we have to do to avoid update delays (get nexus) etc, etc. What I'm talking about is the system broken? I think we all agree, yes.
The OEM's must believe that as well as I'm sure they are tired of hearing "when is my phone getting an update". Is it really that advantageous to them to continue on course? I doubt it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that advantageous to them to continue on course?

Considering Android phone sales continue to grow every quarter, there's not much to persuade them to change. I think the vast majority of users aren't worried about it. It's just frustrating to us, the most technical users.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmen78

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Plenty of Nexus owners want answers too. My Nexus S is not updated to ICS. We get moderated for mentioning it in articles even. Google is just as guilty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20