"Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

tante susan

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

Just factory reset your phone

Hard reset , if factory reset is not enough
,throw it into swimming pool (your smartphone)

- - - Updated - - -

At many places, I have heard that Ice cream sandwich is more convenient than Jelly bean. Until now, i have used only ice cream sandwich, which is good for me and no need to update right now.

i'm agree

- - - Updated - - -

At many places, I have heard that Ice cream sandwich is more convenient than Jelly bean. Until now, i have used only ice cream sandwich, which is good for me and no need to update right now.

i'm agree

hany53

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Jellybean" Software Update was a TERRIBLE Decision, Want "Ice Cream Sandwich" Back..

hi zer, I have SG s2 , after upgrading like you to jelly bean 4.1.2, my phone became real jelly :). I found how to rollback to ice cream sandwich 4.0.3 through the down mentioned link. I think you may get benefit of it in some way like the program used to installing. I know it is a late reply because I just have the problem, but it may be of help for others. have a great day

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...le-decision-want-ice-cream-sandwich-back.html

ratsbutt

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

For months I kept getting an "update" message every twelve hours on my Driod Bionic... It seemed to be a "forced" update that I knew I didn't want. I was very happy with the version of ICS that came with the phone when I purchased it in 2012. Well to day I was pulling the phone out of my pocket to make a call when I noticed that the phone was going into this "forced update". I lost all control of the phone. I couldn't power off to stop it. That slimy little F-ing robot was on the screen and then after 10 minutes the phone reset and the screens and menu options were completely different... Not what I was use to.... or what I wanted..... F-U Motorola..... F-U google and F-U Verizon.... I want my old system back. I don't want any corporate mumbo jumbo about how happy I will be with the new change..... BELIEVE ME I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT AT ALL... Where do you guys get off thinking that I will do cartwheels over the change? I'm pissed and I am taking the phone back to Verizon and demanding a reset to the old OS... If they give me the same crap at the store I will cancel my contract and even though I have another year left on it, don't think that I will pay the cancelation fee... I'm not..... I was very happy with the phone and the old OS I had purchased at the time... That was why I bought the phone in the first place....

You guys (Motorola-----Google-----Verizon) should give your loyal customers a choice, not a PUSH........ Even smaller companies such as Microsoft and Apple give their customer base the option of accepting a new OS or staying with what they have and like......

ratsbutt

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Update to my "RANT" above..... I called Verizon support... the person on the other end told me all I had to do was a "hard reset" and everything would be ok.... After a half hour on the phone with him and another half hour reading the instructions on a link he sent me... not a verizon support link, but and android forum I went through the steps it listed.... But to no avail.... Seems there is no "roll back / restore" feature.

I can't speak for Apple, but Microsoft at least gives the option of creating a restore point prior to major updates to it's OS.... An idea that Motorola/Google could maybe try and learn and emulate... But it takes smart management and engineering to think of these type of ideas... So I guess I can't be too hard on Motorola/Google for lacking good management and forward thinking in this area... After all I guess most of their resources are spent making sure we can google map/street view aunt Becky's home address.....

Any way... this update F _ _ _ ed up everything... I tried to send a test text message using the voice/speak feature speaking some nice four letter words only to find that it was now just placing the first letter "f" followed by three asterisks (those are those cute little star thingies) and not the letters U C and K..... what the
F _ _ _..... now Motorola/Google are playing naughty word police? GIVE ME A F_ _ _ ing BREAK.... First off they presume to assume that I will gladly sit back and accept an update I did not care to install, and now they are attacking my rights to free speech under the United States First Amendment...... Ok.... that was the last straw...... so what did I do to correct this wrong. I didn't hire an attorney...? NAH........! Today I took my old flip phone that I had prior to upgrading to a dumb smart phone and had it activated and I buried that little yellow bot deep in my desk drawer. I don't need texting..... voice is good enough for me.... Figure I will save some money without the text feature. My wife likes that idea and so she too is going to bury her driod..... We figure we can use our Microsoft Tablet to search the internet using BING when we are out and about and near a wifi spot.... Bye-Bye Droid (Motorola/Google)....! and hopefully so long to verizon soon too. Looking into T-mobile plan and only a flip phone too. Also researching other options to my FIOS and verizon land line..... maybe DISH TV for television and internet and Vonage for the land line...

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

So, umm, did this update "F" up anything other than your ability to dictate swear words by voice (which you can still type)? Sometimes the updates are critical and security update and yes, the maker of the phone does have the right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet. Why? Because they have a right not be sued by you when you get a security bug in the previous version affect you. Microsoft does it for Windows all the time. If you keep rejecting Windows updates for long enough, at one point it will auto install and restart your computer.

ratsbutt

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

So, umm, did this update "F" up anything other than your ability to dictate swear words by voice (which you can still type)? Sometimes the updates are critical and security update and yes, the maker of the phone does have the right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet. Why? Because they have a right not be sued by you when you get a security bug in the previous version affect you. Microsoft does it for Windows all the time. If you keep rejecting Windows updates for long enough, at one point it will auto install and restart your computer.

Duh....!
......... yeah..... yfan!
Thus the reason for my post in the first place.... This was not a "security" related update, but a push to Motorola/Google's jellybean flavor OS... Completely screwed up (can I say "screwed" here?) not only how my home screen looked and acted, but how I had set up my "favorites" contacts with specific features.. and my other home page icons and items. This does not make me feel secure or give me the warm fuzzies knowing that at any given time, and without my permission, that Verizon/Motorola/Google can disregard how I like to have my phone setup and set it the way "they think I should" have it set up. No wonder people are "rooting" their phones....

yfan stated:
"the maker of the phone does have the right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet."

Huh......"right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet"?
No where in my providers contract does it state that they have the right to force an "OS" update without my choice of accepting it whenever I connect to the "internet" or not...... again, this was not a security update, but a complete "OS" push. One I did not want in the first place.

yfan stated:
"Why? Because they have a right not be sued by you when you get a security bug in the previous version affect you."

yfan....! Are you trying to say "because they have a right not TO be sued by you when you get AN INFECTION from a virus or worm, by a security bug in a previous version of their OS?

If that is what you were trying to say.... the answer to that is...!
1) Most vendors (FYI... a vendor is a purveyor of a product or service) they usually only push files necessary to secure the OS, without affecting how the system looks to the client. This is called a behind the scene / seemless modification. However if they (the vendor) do know before hand that a update may have an "effect" on how the unit looks and works for the client (FYI.... client means a person or entity that the vendor supplies their products or services to), they will usually warn them, the client, in advance that this update could affect how the product may work afterwards and give the them, the client the "option" to either accept the change or continue using the product without the change/update at their own risk. Thus preventing the client from suing them.

yfan stated:
"Microsoft does it for Windows all the time. If you keep rejecting Windows updates for long enough, at one point it will auto install and restart your computer."

yfan......

So not true....... so not true....

I was an IT professional for 20 years... Built and managed large corporate and govenment WANs... (FYI.... WAN is an acronym for Wide Area Network).You might want to "bing" the term for more clarification. Any way, I had hundreds of clients attached to these networks and their servers and yes, they, the client had no choice to refuse a security or OS update to their desktops or laptops for that matter. That option was disabled and they were forced to accept the change. But this was not forced upon them by Microsoft. This was a decision made by the management of the corporations and govenment agencies they worked for. And based solely on the security needs of that company or agency.

I have been installing and managing Microsoft Operating Systems since 1984 and never, I reiterate, never once has Microsoft ever "forced" an update to their OS without the customer/clients knowledge. In my home office I have numerous computers running numerous versions of Microsoft... i.e.: Windows 3.1 (aka: Windows For Workgroup), Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP-professional 32 bit and 64 bit, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Media Center, Windows Vista Ultimate and Home Premium, Windows 7 again professional and home versions, both 32 and 64 bit..... and last but not least Windows 8.

In all of these versions the option was there to either automatically install updates, to be notified of updates prior to being installed... This gave the client control as to what update to accept and when to install it.... and there is a third option the user/client/customer can choose... and that one is "never install updates"....

To me this is how is should be... The customer should have the option to accept or not to accept any modifications to their product.... No one has ever successfully sued MS because they refused an update and due to their refusal, the system was compromised or hacked into and information stolen....

yfan.... if I may suggest... talk to one of your "guidance counselors" or "educational counselors" prior to going to college and see if a basic computer class is being offered at one of the local community colleges. It may be worth it... It may give you some insight into the installation of various OS packages, how they are controlled and what features you can turn on and off on the client side.... You may like it so much, It may set you on the path to a rewarding career in the IT industry. I know I have enjoyed it.... One thing I did learn in my 20 plus years as a systems engineer, was to listen to your client, give them what they want and not what you think they need... Otherwise you run the risk of losing them as a customer.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

First, calm down. Now...

Duh....!
......... yeah..... yfan!
Thus the reason for my post in the first place.... This was not a "security" related update, but a push to Motorola/Google's jellybean flavor OS...
All updates are security related unless you can prove that it did not fix any security bug whatsoever. An update need not ONLY fix security related bugs in order to be considered a security update.

Completely screwed up (can I say "screwed" here?) not only how my home screen looked and acted, but how I had set up my "favorites" contacts with specific features.. and my other home page icons and items. This does not make me feel secure or give me the warm fuzzies knowing that at any given time, and without my permission, that Verizon/Motorola/Google can disregard how I like to have my phone setup and set it the way "they think I should" have it set up. No wonder people are "rooting" their phones....
Well, you are an IT professional, why didn't you root your phone? In any case, I can see how certain features changing could affect your contacts. Google contacts generally sync with your online contacts though, so I am not sure precisely what happened to you.

yfan stated:
"the maker of the phone does have the right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet."

Huh......"right to force it on your phone if you are connected to the Internet"?
No where in my providers contract does it state that they have the right to force an "OS" update without my choice of accepting it whenever I connect to the "internet" or not......
Does it say anywhere on your contract that they must obtain your explicit permission before pushing an update to your phone? Btw, methinks you misuse the quotation marks... why your "internet" or "rooting" are in quotes beats me.

yfan....! Are you trying to say "because they have a right not TO be sued by you when you get AN INFECTION from a virus or worm, by a security bug in a previous version of their OS?
Yes.

If that is what you were trying to say.... the answer to that is...!
1) Most vendors (FYI... a vendor is a purveyor of a product or service) they usually only push files necessary to secure the OS, without affecting how the system looks to the client. This is called a behind the scene / seemless modification. However if they (the vendor) do know before hand that a update may have an "effect" on how the unit looks and works for the client (FYI.... client means a person or entity that the vendor supplies their products or services to), they will usually warn them, the client, in advance that this update could affect how the product may work afterwards and give the them, the client the "option" to either accept the change or continue using the product without the change/update at their own risk. Thus preventing the client from suing them.
Your condescending attitude throughout your response aside (by the way, 'beforehand' is one word in your context - if we are going to go tit for tat on typos), I doubt this 'most vendors' stuff. You don't know what most vendors do. You may be talking about desktop vendors, and you may be right. But in the mobile world, most vendors I know of will at one point push updates to your phone regardless of whether you want them to or not - unless you root your phone and kill updates. Perhaps your experience in the PC world needs to catch up to the modern mobile world.

yfan stated:
"Microsoft does it for Windows all the time. If you keep rejecting Windows updates for long enough, at one point it will auto install and restart your computer."

yfan......

So not true....... so not true....
Yeah, it IS true. I am not talking about how it works on corporate networks. I am talking about how it works for individual users - home users, to be precise. I have Windows 7, and it pushes updates all the time, and if I refuse enough times, it will at some point auto install and restart my computer.

Let ME suggest something. Keep the replies on topic. Personal sleights of hand are both immature and counterproductive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair