Can't shut down MID tablet

Kelli Haggett

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
My son received a MID M729 (WM8850-mid) tablet for christmas. We can't shut it down. As soon as we touch the power button and hit ok, it goes into a full system reboot. I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried:
  • uninstalling ALL apps from google play
  • holding down the power button for longer then 20 secs
  • Avast virus scanner
  • Factory Data Reset
  • Putting a small amount of vasoline around the power button (in case it was stuck)

Tablet specs:
  • version 4.0.3 ice cream sandwich
  • kernel version 3.0.8

Last edited:

deesto

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Kelli,

I'm sure you know that what should happen on these is that you hold power for about a second, a prompt comes up, you touch "Power off", and it shuts down. I assume you are hitting "Power off" and it reboots? What text if any do you see just after you do this or before it boots back up?

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same tablet. Have you tried pressing the reset button on the side to reset the tablet?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Kelli Haggett

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kelli,

I'm sure you know that what should happen on these is that you hold power for about a second, a prompt comes up, you touch "Power off", and it shuts down. I assume you are hitting "Power off" and it reboots? What text if any do you see just after you do this or before it boots back up?

I had tried this, nothing seemed to work. I was able to click the power off, and then ok. It would then click, and boot up like it was suppose to (no error codes, just version and os with the android symbolism...... NORMAL).

I have the same tablet. Have you tried pressing the reset button on the side to reset the tablet?

Apparently we do NOT have the same tablet, as there is NO reset button on the side (I had actually looked for this first).

Thankfully, I had found an answer. I let the tablet drain completely, then after it would not even turn on, I let it sit for another 2 hours. I then fully charged it, and it seems to be working fine now.

After drilling my son, I found out he had downloaded, then uninstalled an ungodly amount from the Google Play store (Over 100 items). I think it may have been because of that.

deesto

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
After drilling my son, I found out he had downloaded, then uninstalled an ungodly amount from the Google Play store (Over 100 items). I think it may have been because of that.
Sorry you had such trouble. I'd think adding > 100 apps to ANY device in one shot might be problematic, but I wonder what happened in this case, or why the thing didn't explode. But I'm glad you found a workaround and a probable cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC