Is anybody else disappointed that the Droid Incredible 4G LTE will most likely end with ICS?

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This phone was released in July 2012. It has more than enough to run at LEAST android 4.1 and despite being promised by both Verizon and HTC this phone is still on 4.0.4....I bought it because the 4' screen assuming it would at least get 4.1 and am very disappointed...Anybody else share my pain?:(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This phone was released in July 2012. It has more than enough to run at LEAST android 4.1 and despite being promised by both Verizon and HTC this phone is still on 4.0.4....I bought it because the 4' screen assuming it would at least get 4.1 and am very disappointed...Anybody else share my pain?:(
Technically, yes, it likely can run 4.1 without an issue. Keep in mind that HTC has produced the One line then the HTC One, so these two (focused being on the One) will get the attention from HTC with regards to updates.

Although the OEM is not updating the device any longer, the Development community appears to still be cranking out new ROMs with at least 4.2.2 on XDA. If you are rooted and unlocked, then consider going that route to get a newer version of Android on the device.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Technically, yes, it likely can run 4.1 without an issue. Keep in mind that HTC has produced the One line then the HTC One, so these two (focused being on the One) will get the attention from HTC with regards to updates.

Although the OEM is not updating the device any longer, the Development community appears to still be cranking out new ROMs with at least 4.2.2 on XDA. If you are rooted and unlocked, then consider going that route to get a newer version of Android on the device.

That was my first option a month after l bought the device. The thing is for a relatively new device I shouldn't have to already turn to the developer community. I am not asking for 4.3 or even 4.4, I would be contempt if I just had a Google Now...The HTC One came out in March. This phone should have already been on 4.1 by then...Just shameful. I know it is as much verizons fault as HTC's but this phone should not be on ICS. The only reason I still use this phone is the Dev community. This is the main reason why I tell people to never go with verizon exclusive phones. Even the Droid DNA has been somewhat neglected. I should of learned my lesson with the Rezound.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is HTC even working on an update?

Posted via Android Central App

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked it was suppose to receive 4.2.2..The HTC update road map had it set to get 4.2.2 in the summer. Even when 4.3 came out said it was likely to get 4.3....Now with 4.4 out HTC told me will remain on 4.0.4? So it doesnt make sense, Can they just give up on a phone? I mean even the rezound got ICS after a year and half...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree that users shouldn't have to turn to the Development Community in order to stay somewhat current with new OS versions. It's a hard fact that many users are faced with across various devices and carriers. Hopefully this is something addressed with KitKat+ Android releases.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that users shouldn't have to turn to the Development Community in order to stay somewhat current with new OS versions. It's a hard fact that many users are faced with across various devices and carriers. Hopefully this is something addressed with KitKat+ Android releases.

I just got off the phone with a HTC representative and called about this issue...He said the incredible 4G LTE will be for sure getting android 4.4 within the next 90 days lol Then i said do you mind if i record this phone call and you repeat what you just said along with your full name and employee ID his story changed real quick lol It went to most likely getting 4.4 within the next year to now staying on ICS and if i could get my original receipt faxed in he could give me $150 off a verizon HTC one Full retail price lol I wonder why HTC is circling the drain...

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfourtnally even with $150 off a new HTC one is about $650... For that price I can get a new Nexus 5 and pay for 2 months of service on tmobile lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Last I checked it was suppose to receive 4.2.2..The HTC update road map had it set to get 4.2.2 in the summer. Even when 4.3 came out said it was likely to get 4.3....Now with 4.4 out HTC told me will remain on 4.0.4? So it doesnt make sense, Can they just give up on a phone? I mean even the rezound got ICS after a year and half...

They already have your money. The can give up on a phone. There's no contract that says they have to update to a new version of Android.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The contract doesn't state it needs to be updated. You are actually suppose to purchase a phone as is and never expect any updates...The problem is the sales rep that sold me my droid incredible 4g lte guaranteed me I would have 4.1 on it before a few months. He kept pushing the phone telling me was going to get all these updates...That is were the problem lies....When I complained to verizon they said that sales rep was fired for promising things that were never going to happen. Verizon even tried to make it better by giving me a $400 dollar credit on my line....But the fact is to release a phone and have no updates is just counterproductive on the OEM part....because if it told you you buy a samsung phone today you can be sure it will get updates for at least a year or if i told you you can buy a htc phone today and possibly never get an update 9 out of 10 the average consumer is going to be more interested in that samsung device. It is an OEM responsiblilty to keep the device alive just as much as it is for the carrier to approve the testing for that update...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The contract doesn't state it needs to be updated. You are actually suppose to purchase a phone as is and never expect any updates...The problem is the sales rep that sold me my droid incredible 4g lte guaranteed me I would have 4.1 on it before a few months. He kept pushing the phone telling me was going to get all these updates...That is were the problem lies....When I complained to verizon they said that sales rep was fired for promising things that were never going to happen. Verizon even tried to make it better by giving me a $400 dollar credit on my line....

This is who you should start with: https://twitter.com/JasonMacHTC

The sales rep lied to you. Supposedly Verizon dealt with it. HTC is innocent.

But the fact is to release a phone and have no updates is just counterproductive on the OEM part....because if it told you you buy a samsung phone today you can be sure it will get updates for at least a year or if i told you you can buy a htc phone today and possibly never get an update 9 out of 10 the average consumer is going to be more interested in that samsung device.

But the fact remains - no one should ever buy a phone on the promise of an update. And if updates meant that much to you, you really should be off of Verizon and on a Nexus phone.

Oh and regular people usually aren't even aware of the difference. And they matter more than you or me.

It is an OEM responsiblilty to keep the device alive just as much as it is for the carrier to approve the testing for that update...

The only responsibility an OEM really has is to ensure the device is available to be update against security risks and act in a timely manner should an exploit be found. This doesn't mean they owe everyone full Android updates. The device doesn't die because it doesn't get Jelly Bean or KitKat. It still works.

Rob Black1

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
The odds aren't great, but I did read that the next version of Android should support phones with 512 MB of memory. This would mean that the next OS should run very easily on the Incredible 4G LTE. I'm hoping the memory enhancements will allow for updates to apps when the device memory drops below 125 MB or so. That is pretty annoying at this point. It uses the data to try and do an update, but the update fails. :(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The odds aren't great, but I did read that the next version of Android should support phones with 512 MB of memory. This would mean that the next OS should run very easily on the Incredible 4G LTE. I'm hoping the memory enhancements will allow for updates to apps when the device memory drops below 125 MB or so. That is pretty annoying at this point. It uses the data to try and do an update, but the update fails. :(

That' 512MB for "stock" Android.

+ Sense?

Even still - HTC would need to be actively working on an update. They should be the first people should blame when looking for an update for their HTC phone, not the carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs