Re-enabling background data for Play Store

Jonathan Rawle

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have restricted background data for the Google Play Store app from the Data Usage settings screen. However, apps only appear in the list on this screen if they have used data recently. I rarely use the Play Store, and my phone only keeps records of the last two months' usage. If in a few months I want to use the Play Store, how will I re-enable it?

For any other app, it would simply be a matter of opening it and using some foreground data. It would then appear in the list and I could deselect the "Restrict background data" option. However, Google Play stubbornly refuses to start at all if background data is off, even if I'm connected to wifi.

At the moment, this is a hypothetical question. But is there another way to access the "Restrict background data" setting for an app other than through the Data Usage screen?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have restricted background data for the Google Play Store app from the Data Usage settings screen. However, apps only appear in the list on this screen if they have used data recently. I rarely use the Play Store, and my phone only keeps records of the last two months' usage. If in a few months I want to use the Play Store, how will I re-enable it?

For any other app, it would simply be a matter of opening it and using some foreground data. It would then appear in the list and I could deselect the "Restrict background data" option. However, Google Play stubbornly refuses to start at all if background data is off, even if I'm connected to wifi.

At the moment, this is a hypothetical question. But is there another way to access the "Restrict background data" setting for an app other than through the Data Usage screen?

Welcome to the forums.
I think the only way to do what you are asking is by going into settings and unchecking restrict background data.

Jonathan Rawle

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but that isn't actually a way of doing what I'm asking. There is no option to unckeck "restrict background data" for the Play Store app as this no longer appears in the list of apps using data.

Does anyone know of an app that provides control over the per-app background data restrictions?

Hugo van der Merwe

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Last time I disabled background data for an app, I saw that app appear in the list even if it had not used any data (with a note mentioning that background data is restricted). So I think it isn't a problem. Do note that I have the latest Android release on my Nexus 5 though.

My bigger problem is that apps which *have* used some data is in a long list of apps, and I can't easily tell which of them might still have background data turned off (since I disabled a whole bunch while I was roaming in Italy). :) Turns out the easiest way to find a list of background-data-restricted apps is to adjust the selectors into the future, such that no apps have used any data for the period of interest. Then I see a neat list of all such apps.

Erika Figueroa

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Okay i have been having the same issue! I don't know how I even restricted in the first place but i figured it out.
Go to Settings, on the Connections section scroll down to Data Usage. Once there you're gonna see the graph to set the mobile data limit, underneath that you can see all the apps you have used the most. Now scroll down to the Google Play Store, click it, and scroll down to uncheck the RESTRICT BACKGROUND DATA. Done!

Hope this helps!

(PS: I have a Note 3)

Jasmine Rosario

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello I am a Verizon store rep and I was looking for an answer to your question and I was able to find out how to solve this problem.
Step 1) Go to settings
Step 2) Select Data Usage
Step 3) Uncheck limit mobile data usage " Backround Data"

Problem solved, this worked and now my customer can get apps in the play store. I hope this helps :)

conor horan

May 25, 2014
Visit site

To solve this problem is nothing else works first go to the widgets at the end of your apps list and choose the power control widget and put it on your main screen. Once there check to see if the circling arrows sign that looks similar to the recycling sign is checked on, this controls your background data, if it isn't on check it on. If it is on and google play store still says enable background data then go to settings> apps> Google play store> then hit force stop. After doing so re-open Google play store and it should be working again.

Alberto Zamudio

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I have a Samsung galaxy S5 and my restrict background data tab is disabled. It does not allow me to check or uncheck it. I do not know how to fix this. Any suggestions?

Danielle Crisco

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The best way I found out, was going to setting- clicking on power savings- then Click the power savings again.. it should open up and you should see block Background data... in click that and try going back to the play store!!!! Good luck hope it works for you, as it did for me:))

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The best way I found out, was going to setting- clicking on power savings- then Click the power savings again.. it should open up and you should see block Background data... in click that and try going back to the play store!!!! Good luck hope it works for you, as it did for me:))

Yes! That is the solution as all above seem not to apply, i.e., the suggested settings options didnt work because of the power plan! My restricy background data was greyed out! (because the power plan setting overroad it)

Posted via Android Central App