S4 won't connect to my wifi but my computer will. I have tried everything. What can I do?

lfitz83

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
S4 wont connect to my wifi but my computer will. I have tried everything.

Okay so I moved across town and brought with my router/modem and have the same phone. When I got the internet hooked up today I had some troubles getting my computer and phone up and running with the WiFi but finally it sorted out through a restart. Now all of a sudden my computer works but no matter what I do the S4 will not.

I get the "failed to obtain IP address" message or it just keeps trying to obtain it. It does say sometimes "network disabled because internet connection is slow" but that's also bs because my computer works fine.

I have tried to modify the network configuration and change the IP settings to static. SO when I did that I used my computer to find the IP address and typed that in. Voila I'm connected, BUT the internet doesn't actually work.

I have rebooted the router. I have factory reset the router. I have toggled off and on the wifi as well as airplane mode.

Any help will be appreciated!

Im pretty sure it's not the device because it worked before, and i'm pretty sure it's not the router because it's fairly new and works for the computer. If all else fails should I contact US Cellular?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: S4 wont connect to my wifi but my computer will. I have tried everything.

I'm not sure what on the device would be causing this problem. But have you factory reset it just to be safe and make sure it's not the device?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: S4 wont connect to my wifi but my computer will. I have tried everything.

Try moving the channel in the router to the other end (or one end if it's in the middle) of the channel list. If you have a neighbor with a router very close to yours, and on the same or a nearby channel, it could be causing enough interference to give you a weak signal where you're using the phone, but not where your computer is. (Try laying the phone on the router when you connect - if the signal is weak from there, there's something wrong with the phone.).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692