Is Android Turning Into What Palm Should Have Been?

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Since Matias Duarte came over from Palm and worked on 4.0 and 4.1 from the start, seems like Palm has had a big influence on Android in these 2 versions, 5 icons in the doc., swipe away notifications, Google Now "cards", the calendar has a very Palm feel, chrome tabs have cards too that can be swiped away. And I'm sure there is more.

I think this is a change for the better, loved Palms web OS but not the hardware. I know I'm not the first to point this out, but didn't see any posts about it.

What do you all think?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Since Matias Duarte came over from Palm and worked on 4.0 and 4.1 from the start, seems like Palm has had a big influence on Android in these 2 versions, 5 icons in the doc., swipe away notifications, Google Now "cards", the calendar has a very Palm feel, chrome tabs have cards too that can be swiped away. And I'm sure there is more.

I think this is a change for the better, loved Palms web OS but not the hardware. I know I'm not the first to point this out, but didn't see any posts about it.

What do you all think?

Kind of, yeah. Android will definitely benefit from Matias Duarte moving over. I don't know but the main differences are Android is much more in the cloud and it has some "modern" UI features such as sliding screen and full touch surface which the "legacy" palm didn't.

Bishounen

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. With Mathias Duarte and now the Enyo team coming to Google, ICS and JB have definitely received the "webOS" treatment. There are obvious differences, and Google can't outright copy webOS due to patent issues, but this is definitely a change for the better. I look forward to seeing more "webOS-ey" features integrated into Anrdoid in the coming years.

@yveslune83

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, it is Mathias' vision for Android that has me interested in the platform. In general, I will always prefer a gesture over a software button. I am also a fan of the clean, modern UIs that are completely digital. This is why I love what Windows Phone has done for their UI and what Android is becoming.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
maybe!!! may not be!!! Its not him who code Android but some developers but he def have a voice.

one feature I want from webos is numbers on top of alphabet on keyboard.
its easier to type that way.

063_xobx

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd say that Android borrowing from WebOS is the best way for it's stand-out features to live on (if Apple or Microsoft had snatched up anything from WebOS they'd have gone after Palm's patent portfolio to have more weapons in their litigation arsenal rather than try to borrow from WebOs).

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and I love it. I was always a fan of Palm, I had multiple Pres (was there worse hardware ever?), and I have a touchpad. I wish WebOS had gone better, but having the WebOS team on Android is the next best thing.

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Never used WebOS but new features are rarely a bad thing. I will gladly take the best features from other platforms on my Android, especially a platform so many people seemed to like.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
With ICS being my first venture in to Android and coming from a long range of Palm devices with my current phone being a WP7 Arrive, I am VERY happy to see palm style influences coming through to Android carried by folks well versed in Palm's intuitive, user friendly streamlined interface. Backed with some of the better Android devices, I'll bet Android rockets!

With what ICS has shown me via my Acer Iconia A100 tablet, I doubt I'll stay with Windows when my phone contract is up! And to top that just maybe a second larger Android tablet is on the horizon.

Windows phone graphics are great, and most of the interface is o.k., but basic functionality is lacking there is too much dependency on cloud based services. CBS are OK for those in connected metro areas, but in rural or most suburban areas connectivity is seriously lacking. Combine that with Windows Phone lack of USB drive and its lack of removable media and all it is is an embarrassing paperweight!

Thanks Mathias and Enyo and all palm refugee developers! Looking forward to more great things to come!

georgeanderson

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Definitely some influence. I'm fine with that tho. Always wanted to try WebOS as many geeks seemed to love it. This, to me, is the best of both worlds.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who likes the look and feel of what Android has become since Froyo should send a thank you letter directly to Matias Duarte. He's the man who has steered Android from being a rudderless mash of coding into being something that is useful, beautiful and nearly elegant. It started in Gingerbread with the retooling of the App store layout, it was evident in the stop gap of Honeycomb, and was all through ICS.

Check this link from the Verge:

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | The Verge

I loved webOS with a frustrated passion that actually made it hurt when it failed, largely because of the vision Matias put into the infrastructure.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store for the future.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
For me, it is Mathias' vision for Android that has me interested in the platform. In general, I will always prefer a gesture over a software button. I am also a fan of the clean, modern UIs that are completely digital. This is why I love what Windows Phone has done for their UI and what Android is becoming.

I could never get past the home screen of Windows Phone. It looks like Windows 1.0. Just awful.

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 cell phones, one is the Galaxy Nexus on Jellybean and the other is a Nokia Lumia 710. I have to say that I probably am one of the few that actually loves the Lumia, it is a small phone that runs smooth with no real issues. I think once Windows 8 comes out it could be a threat to other OS's. However I used to have a palm pre back in the day and I have had several older Android phones and I can clearly see what people mean when they say they can see some of Palms old features built into the Android OS. I think the OS is so much better since Matias Duarte came on board. I was actually turned off of Android after my older phone that ran 2.3 because the phone was garbage. It also needed to be rebooted at least 3 times a day because everything just lagged behind.
All I know is now I am excited about the future of Android and I believe it will always be better the IOS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer