Did they fix Move App to SD card or R they going to be like Apple

Ectogamit

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP. I just received a 32GB SDHC Class 10 for $19, and have placed it in my note II. I was moving apps to the SD with no problem on the old phone (EVO 4G) with an older Android version but now I have all this space on the SD card and I do not have that capability??? why are so many people against the capability? Seems rather short sighted and illogical. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that if its available the people that want to use it can and the people that don't want to don't have to. So look at the big picture and stop being moronic. The feature was available prior, works perfectly fine, there is zero reason to not keep it implemented. they need to rehire that smart guy that did it before and just get it done. there literally is no reason it should not be available. My opinion is it will be implemented because when you look at apps its shows a line on how much the app is using the SD card. So i am presuming the code to do it just isn't finished yet. it will be no time before I run out of space.

And I hate all this cloud BS. There is no cloud. its called the internet. you can run server side apps and sore information on those servers its not a stupid cloud. nothing has changed and there is no magical place that has been created to make it different. you can change the name all you want but its the same place as it was before. Why do I want to store all my data on the internet where it is vulnerable to snooping by hackers or the government? why would I want to wait even 5 seconds to stream a song from an online folder when I can run it off my phone with zero lag? on my phone while i'm in a tunnel, on a plane, in outer space, tanning on the surface of the sun, 16 miles under ground in a bunker, in the middle of the ocean, on the beach or at my kitchen table. I want control of my data and so should you! we need to take a stand against this fake cloud BS. And not allow all applications to go server side, applications and data need to be available when I want where I want any time I want. Server side storage is useless if your connection is slow or fails. I don't have weeks to retrieve my data backups from online. : oh I need to burn that presentation to disk for that conference I am going to tomorrow, "16 hours to download... doesn't seem like a good plan to me". and i'm not just talking about phones, i'm also talking about computers. peace out peeps!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This was a poor decision by Google, and no 32GB & 64GB Android phones are NOT the norm, in fact 8GB and 16GB are and that is a huge issue. Why bother even making phones with SD cards slots or in Googles case none at all on their Nexus line if you can't move app data off the limited internal storage. Imagine you are a Droid Charge user with 1.2GB of internal storage how pissed would you be, oh wait they will never see ICS or JellyBean so who cares. Its the principle of the matter, stop screwing with the features that made this platform great to save a few dollars.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No one said that was the norm and it isn't to save money. Google does not like the way it is implemented and a whole host of other reasons but money isn't one of them. I agree it is stupid

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
This was a poor decision by Google, and no 32GB & 64GB Android phones are NOT the norm, in fact 8GB and 16GB are and that is a huge issue. Why bother even making phones with SD cards slots or in Googles case none at all on their Nexus line if you can't move app data off the limited internal storage. Imagine you are a Droid Charge user with 1.2GB of internal storage how pissed would you be, oh wait they will never see ICS or JellyBean so who cares. Its the principle of the matter, stop screwing with the features that made this platform great to save a few dollars.
Nail on Head!! Your post reminded me of Billy Gates' immortal words: 'No one will ever need more than 640K of RAM'. :)

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
...how did those people ever survive before 64GB of flash storage?

I think the issue is that as capabilities increased so as the need to store the results of those capabilities. The cloud sounds great in theory but there are very practical shortcomings of relying solely on the cloud. Many still don't need that level of storage. But with the same technology that brings you the cloud it brings easy/cheap storage. Is there a reason carriers/Google won't provide that option? As others have said ........ probably.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got my note 2 and with NOVA 3 (2.59gb) The Dark Knight Returns (2.29gb) Asphalt 7 (1.65gb) plus a few other apps im pretty much now done with space. I havent even put 5% of the games I like to play on it.

How could we take such a huge step forward in specs but take this giant step back when it comes to space.

xDetoursX

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Moving apps option would be nice, but it seems to me that the option is most beneficial for games. Apps aren't that big and movies and music get stored on the card. I just got the note2 and dont have any space issues.

Bato7

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It is possible to move apps to SD card on Android 4 ICS. You just need to set SD card as default storage location. To do that, do to settings > storage > default storage location and switch it to SD card. From now on, you will see the "Move to SD card" button in app information and also any newly installed app will be stored on SD card if possible.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is possible to move apps to SD card on Android 4 ICS. You just need to set SD card as default storage location. To do that, do to settings > storage > default storage location and switch it to SD card. From now on, you will see the "Move to SD card" button in app information and also any newly installed app will be stored on SD card if possible.

Yeah but we are talking jellybean here

Sent from my fake Nexus 10 tablet

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
A cheap ten inch tablet that runs stock. I am not sur e that I need a tablet so I went with a cheap one to see what I would use it for and if I need it or just want it.

If I am still using it in six months or so I will pick up a real nexus tablet.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
A cheap ten inch tablet that runs stock. I am not sur e that I need a tablet so I went with a cheap one to see what I would use it for and if I need it or just want it.

If I am still using it in six months or so I will pick up a real nexus tablet.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

I never thought I'd need a tablet after years of PCs, and smartphones and LTs. Then I hacked my Touchpad putting ICS on it. Used it all the time till it, for no reason, it stopped working. I really miss it, but refuse to pay the price for the N10. I may try another TP. Tablets are great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a tablet 10 years ago for work and didn't use it for anything. I am finding that is mostly because there wasn't anything really to do with it. Apps were very limited.

So far I am digging this one. It isnt a great tablet but after tweaking the hell out of it, it runs decent enough and does what I need it to do.

I have to get a cheap stylus and see what I can do with it...

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

atari_guy

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
What type of device are you using? I have 2 tablets running ice cream sandwich and neither have the default storage location option.

Ditto. I'm out of space on my Acer Iconia A500 and my son's Ematic Funtab, both running ICS, and neither one seems to have this mysterious "default storage location" option. Yet we have these big SD cards I bought. Whatever bonehead decided apps didn't need to reside on SD cards doesn't realize that apps are just getting bigger and bigger all the time, and you can't store an app in the cloud. I don't mind paying Amazon to store my music for me, but I need more space for apps!