Does Android work slower with time?

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey. As we know, when we use Windows on our computers and install and remove programs, work on it for a year or so, it start working slower and slower, errors often pop up, etc.

Does Android does the same? I mean let's say I install 20 different apps and then I remove it..... Does it affect the system? Like in Windows we have to clean the registry manually to get it of the leftovers of removed apps, does Android do the same?

I'm asking cuz I was trying with various apps and now after a while of installing and removing them my phone seems to work slower (or I'm just having such a fake feeling from Windows experience)...

Do you ever do hard reset which is an equivalent to a format of PC....?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No OS is perfect and all OS becomes slower with time.
with Android it depends on what app you install. if you install an app which always runs on background then it becomes slower over time.

in Android to solve this all you have to is reboot and make sure not a lot of apps runs in the background.

use app like advanced task killer to kill app that is not being used to make it faster.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard of a problem that couldn't be solved by clearing cached files and removing apps, but there is a factory reset option in the phone settings. If you update to a new version of Android on an older phone you can see a performance hit, too. My Nexus S ran considerably better on 2.3 than it does on 4.1.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No OS is perfect and all OS becomes slower with time.
with Android it depends on what app you install. if you install an app which always runs on background then it becomes slower over time.

in Android to solve this all you have to is reboot and make sure not a lot of apps runs in the background.

use app like advanced task killer to kill app that is not being used to make it faster.

Task killers past 2.1 are a no no. Android will do a better job regulating itself than any task killer can. They just lead to instability...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey. As we know, when we use Windows on our computers and install and remove programs, work on it for a year or so, it start working slower and slower, errors often pop up, etc.

Does Android does the same? I mean let's say I install 20 different apps and then I remove it..... Does it affect the system? Like in Windows we have to clean the registry manually to get it of the leftovers of removed apps, does Android do the same?

I'm asking cuz I was trying with various apps and now after a while of installing and removing them my phone seems to work slower (or I'm just having such a fake feeling from Windows experience)...

Do you ever do hard reset which is an equivalent to a format of PC....?

Sorry, never had that problem with a Windows PC, or with an Android or any phone.

Cause I install what I need and not everything I "want to see."

That's what YouTube is for, seeing things.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There few reasons why Windows slows down over use:

-More Software, means more it is running in background, beyound normal CPU usage, more memory is also used so system starts to use slower virtual memory which means general slow down.
-Disk fragmentation, data on disk become fragmented an place on random free space on disk as it can't move existing, because reorganizeing data like that on every rite would slow down system even more. As data become more framnted its being contained in different part of harddrive disc, makeing head travel more detances and which result slow down of reading that data

In Android most cases can slow down because background processes, the services which is not normaly visible in task menagers. Lot of apps uses services, since normal app does not run on background same as iOS it goes to sleep state, so developer do services as backend of network operations and notifications so they can be done on background (of corse i mean when you got app closed, don't misunderstand it with multi threading)

Fragmentation should not be a much of a problem on flash drives, as there is no head in them, they just adress data and get it. Size of storage does not effect speed either, since unused data is simply... unused, i don't think it also effects Windows registry, or else they need to read that unused data on that masive binery blob file. Android (as most Unix-like systems) don't have registry as it use normal files or SQLite databases.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Task killers past 2.1 are a no no. Android will do a better job regulating itself than any task killer can. They just lead to instability...

+1

boenklon2

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe newer version of android requires better specification. And lot of other android phone is full with bloatware.that makes android phone become slow too.. Thats why i love nexus series for android:)

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone for 2 and a half years now, and it still runs as quick now as it did day one hasn't slowed down one bit.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You'll notice it after a week or so, android caches the data from your most used apps so they can be loaded faster in the future. Ironically this can cause slowdowns if your cache grows to large, because the specific app will have to sift through more and more cached apps/processes to find what it is looking for. But this isn't usually a problem on newer phones with 1 or more gigs if ram.

If your rooted there's several processes to clear your cache, I just use the one included with the v6 supercharger, twice a week or so because I'm a power user.

Although most stock recoveries will also have a "wipe cache" option, it does the exact same thing.

Another alternative would be to go into your app manager and manually wipe the caches of your apps.

BUT you should NEVER use a task manager, they generally only work when something is already wrong with your phone. But usually they cause more harm then good.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Because there is no need for them. Android is way better at managing its own memory than any task killer.

Remember free ram is wasted ram in android. It's not better to have tons of free ram android will free it up be clearing cached background processes as needed

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63