Dropbox does not have a sync option

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
All other accounts have this option for sync, but Dropbox does not. I believe the idea was supposed to be that your camera uploads are sync'ed in "Camera Uploads" folder in Dropbox, and then visible in your Gallery app... but it only displays empty, even if there are plenty of photos there.

I wanted to use it as a way to share photos from different devices, available in Gallery (of course the files are available in Dropbox, but it is by far worse user experience than Gallery).

Any ideas how to enable Gallery to see Dropbox folder?

A brief of snapshots to show the problem.

Screenshot_2012-10-11-16-00-08.pngScreenshot_2012-10-11-16-01-17.pngScreenshot_2012-10-11-16-06-05.png

(android settings showing the Dropbox account where there are no sync options available, and thus sync is disabled, and then the Gallery app saying that there are no files in my dropbox).

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
If sync options does not have it then it's most likely inside the app... and it is in Account Setting :)

The app (Dropbox) is working fine, and the sync is turned on (the only option in the app settings is called "CAMERA UPLOAD"). The photos I take from the camera automatically go to Dropbox, so this is fine too... however, my Gallery is never able to show what Dropbox has, and I think that was supposed to work.

Do you have it working?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you expecting it to create a separate folder of the pictures within the gallery app like the "instant upload" folder that Google+ creates by default? I don't think it is supposed to work that way.

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you expecting it to create a separate folder of the pictures within the gallery app like the "instant upload" folder that Google+ creates by default? I don't think it is supposed to work that way.

Yes. If that is not tru, then why do we have a "Dropbox Folder" in Gallery?
2012-10-16 16.18.58.png

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
We don't have a DropBox folder in the gallery app. We have one on the phone. DropBox can be used to share many types of files, not just photos. To have a separate folder in the gallery app the DropBox people would have to create one within the app and code it so that only photos go into it. And frankly, I did not like the default auto upload feature in Google+ and turned it off when I started seeing all of my photos uploading and using my data limit. I don't want to share all of them with Google+ either. You can always going inot the DropBox app and upload multiple photos of your choosing at one time.

Edit: Since DropBox already allows you to upload photos only and in multiples it is probably not a huge deal to have it function like Google+. I'm just not sure most people would want it to work that way.

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
We don't have a DropBox folder in the gallery app. We have one on the phone. DropBox can be used to share many types of files, not just photos. To have a separate folder in the gallery app the DropBox people would have to create one within the app and code it so that only photos go into it. And frankly, I did not like the default auto upload feature in Google+ and turned it off when I started seeing all of my photos uploading and using my data limit. I don't want to share all of them with Google+ either. You can always going inot the DropBox app and upload multiple photos of your choosing at one time.

Edit: Since DropBox already allows you to upload photos only and in multiples it is probably not a huge deal to have it function like Google+. I'm just not sure most people would want it to work that way.

Yes we DO have a Dropbox folder in Gallery. That is the screenshot I posted before (haven't you seen this?). All applications that save photos locally place folders in Gallery, and so does Dropbox, or it should.... because Gallery even gives the option to search your DropBox photos... this is because of the integration between Dropbox and Gallery (or Android in general).
I just installed WhatsApp, and it works the same way... any photos sent to me are also available in Gallery, at a "WhatsApp" folder...

The reason of this post is (no changes since the top post): why doesn't it work with Dropbox?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't currently have a DropBox folder in my gallery app. In any event, did you try going to the DropBox settings and enabling "Turn on Camera Upload"?

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't currently have a DropBox folder in my gallery app. In any event, did you try going to the DropBox settings and enabling "Turn on Camera Upload"?

Yep, didnt work. I found the place where Dropbox holds the integration (looks like a Samsung Cloud thing):

2012-10-17 23.56.44.png 2012-10-17 23.56.57.png

from which you can see that it is turned on.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
At the top pf the DropBox screen you should see some icons. The 2nd one which looks like a picture shows on the screen "Turn on Camera Upload" and " Use DropBox to upload your photos automatically" and then has a button to "turn on". I can't see any other way of doing this. Did you contact DropBox? Did you try settings/apps/all apps/gallery and clear cache? Are you uploaded photos showing in your DropBox account on the web?

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
At the top pf the DropBox screen you should see some icons. The 2nd one which looks like a picture shows on the screen "Turn on Camera Upload" and " Use DropBox to upload your photos automatically" and then has a button to "turn on". I can't see any other way of doing this.

I've done this since the first time.

Did you contact DropBox?

Nope, that could be a good one.

Did you try settings/apps/all apps/gallery and clear cache?

Done now, no changes :-(

Are you uploaded photos showing in your DropBox account on the web?

Yep... all dropbox devices sync'ed, and for every photo taken, automatically uploaded.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If i am understanding you correctly, you the upload option is working fine but it won't sync (i think you mean download automatically). is this correct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
If i am understanding you correctly, you the upload option is working fine but it won't sync (i think you mean download automatically). is this correct?

Well, the Gallery does not necessarily store the files locally, only in a cache. My objective is to see the Dropbox "Camera Uploads" inside Gallery, that's all.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the Gallery does not necessarily store the files locally, only in a cache. My objective is to see the Dropbox "Camera Uploads" inside Gallery, that's all.

Are your pics being deleted somehow when they are being uploaded to dropbox?

The pics stay in the camera folder by default. They don't exist in an actual folder called "camera uploads". The only app I know if that does what you want is picasa. It stores then remotely and you can browse them via your gallery.

Hope that is helpful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You can report a problem directly from within the app settings. Maybe that will get a quicker response. :)

I guess that really works.. I reported the problem and in less than an hour they replied back to me. It looks like this feature is really not available as of this moment. :(

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Facebook also works.

You have a Facebook album in your gallery app as well? I do not have that either and I upload often to Facebook.I have the following albums in my gallery app:

Camera - the main album
Download - where pictures that came as attachments ended up if I saved them
Instant Upload - created by Google+
Scrapbook Photos - created by Google+
Profile Photos - created by Google+

bruno.braga

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
You have a Facebook album in your gallery app as well? I do not have that either and I upload often to Facebook.I have the following albums in my gallery app:

Camera - the main album
Download - where pictures that came as attachments ended up if I saved them
Instant Upload - created by Google+
Scrapbook Photos - created by Google+
Profile Photos - created by Google+

Check the image I uploaded here in this thread. In one of them, you can see the "View By" options, which allow to filter by: contents in Dropbox, contents in Picasa, contents in Phone, contents in Facebook... And that is the reason why I actually started this thread, because, if Dropbox integration was not meant to work at all, this option should not be there in the first place.

Kushan Kushan

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I talked to one of HTC costomer support.
They told me to add whatever I want to see in my Dropbox gallary in to the PHOTOES folder in Dropbox A/c.
And it worked. Still no clue on why the sync icon is still gray.
Hope that helps.
:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui