Fed up with bluetooth voice dialing

techie1961

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I am so fed up waiting for something to happen with voice dialing that I am seriously considering going to another platform. I am on the road a lot and voice dialing is extremely important to me. When I had my Blackberry or iPhone, they worked okay, not great, but okay. After my last move to Android (Galaxy S2 and then Nexus), everything was okay but when JB came out, it went for a crap.

I just did the update on my phone to 4.02 and it is still completely useless. I am really fed up with this. I know that I could flash back to ICS but I prefer to not have to do this.

Lorne

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well that is very discouraging to learn, assuming you are experiencing the JB problem where it goes to random names & phone numbers on voice dialing, and also doesn't allow choice of 3rd party voice apps. I've also been struggling with this one, and hoping that Google would resolve it in the 4.1.2 update.

I'm currently using a workaround of freezing the Google Search app in Titanium Backup to allow use and selection of a 3rd party app, using the Cyberon app for voice control, and the Vlingo app presence to provide the voice to input recognition. That works pretty well, but obviously a proper fix from Google is due.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It appears that JB introduced 2 new voice dialing problems:

1. The google voice dialer in JB 4.1.1 is just about incapable of selecting the right match on the voice inputted name, and proceeds to dial a number apparently chosen at random.

2. JB 4.1.1 does not respond to the presence of 3rd party voice dialer apps when the Bluetooth device button is pressed, in order to allow the user to select an alternate dialer.

I would really like to hear feedback from any users who have installed the 4.1.2 upate with respect to both of those issues. I'm hanging on to the hope that Google will fix either or both of these problems, but if they haven't done it in 4.1.2, I may just go back to ICS, rather than continue with using a workaround solution.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I posted about this issue in another thread before I saw this one. Apparently this BT problem is all over the interweb from what I've seen while trying to find a solution. It has become a major safety issue and a huge liability to me as I can no longer initiate a call "hands free" while driving. I can answer calls as I have always done and the conversation is fine.
JB is cool, but I no longer have a reliable telephone. Fantastic.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Since updating my S3 I can no longer use Google Voice Typing for texts while connected to my car's Bluetooth. This renders the phone useless whenever I am in the car. It was suggested I do a hard reset which I did but nothing changed. Is there a fix?

pbassred

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to hijack the thread, but just for the benefit of the stupid (me), was it EVER possible to initiate a voice dial over blue tooth?
When I say voice dial, I mean:- press the little button on my hands free device and say someone's name without ever touching the phone.

Before phones went smart, my 2 sony-erricsons and all my old Nokias would do it. Now all the phone store assistants stare blankly when I ask.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to hijack the thread, but just for the benefit of the stupid (me), was it EVER possible to initiate a voice dial over blue tooth?
When I say voice dial, I mean:- press the little button on my hands free device and say someone's name without ever touching the phone.

Before phones went smart, my 2 sony-erricsons and all my old Nokias would do it. Now all the phone store assistants stare blankly when I ask.

Yes, you can, using apps such as Cyberon Voice Commander, EVA/EVAN, and my current favorite - Voice Control.

Since this thread was started, the temporary problems have been resolved, as least to my personal satisfaction, and I use Voice Control via Bluetooth every day, exactly as you described, and with additional options that you can learn in the apps.

I recommend trying the free version of Voice Control, just to make sure it works properly for you, and try it out. Spend a little time with it, learning how it behaves, and how to use its features, before you buy the Full app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

snapper69

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'm really screwed then. I have just upgraded? from a Desire HD running 2.3 to a Galaxy Note 2 running 4.1. I used to use Choice Dialer+ free edition, which did just what I wanted, i.e. voice dialed in the car without having my Data Connection on all the time as I only have a limited data package. I have tried several voice dialers which work but only if the data connection is on. As voice dialing in the car is a safety feature, why have Android seen fit to make it impossible to use?

Update.

Well it seems that I'm not as screwed as I thought. I read on another site that if you disable S Voice the default dialer starts when you press the button on your BT device. I tried it and not only does it work, but it dials without needing a data connection. The only slight drawback is that it doesn't ask for confirmation before it dials, but I tried it several times and it only got 1 wrong, so that may not be much of a problem.

Last edited:

mrblanche

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Yes, my Motorola Atrix 4g did it just fine. I'm astonished that the Galaxy S3 doesn't seem to do it. If I can't find a solution, it's going back, because it's a $2500 fine for touching the screen of a cell phone for us truck drivers, and an automatic termination if the company finds out about it.

aruaca49

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I've tried Bluetooth voice dialing with Samsung Galaxy S 2 and it works fine, granted it's 4.0 ICS. The problem starts with 4.1 Jellybean on. I've tried S3 and Note 2 with Jellybean and all you can do is receive call through Bluetooth, can't do anything else. The comments I've seen on different forums for this problem are not promising, they expected 4.2 to solve the issue but apparently that's not been the case. If you're a person on the go and need hands free you'll have to stick with ICS or Gingerbread. If Android doesn't solve this issue soon it'll be their loss.

tunefisher

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I just sent back a brand shiny new Galaxy S4 as Bluetooth dialing DOES NOT WORK. I tried some 3rd party apps (eg Maluba) - no go. This is show stopper for me. The guy at the cell phone store told me this was a known issue. Drag.

OriginalTwotone

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So I just starting searching this issue as I received my S4 yesterday. So if I understand this correctly my 3 year old phone I paired with my Jawbone Icon, changed one setting to allow Bluetooth to bypass log in and it just worked; this can't be done currently with the latest version of Android?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool