Face Unlock is a Farce!

eyeofmind

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've experimented with Face Unlock mode of Security on my #Nexus7 and #Nexus4g and decided to NEVER use it again.
Sole reason - it isn't accurate and would unlock to someone who has the similar ratio of face.

I shared my #nexus7 to this friend of mine, who was surprised when the tablet unlocked (viewing him instead of me :'( ) This is truly not acceptable. A finger scanner is acceptable - Like what Motorola Atrix has, but not this.

In case you've enabled on your devices, do disable at once.
#Google should consider enhancing its security stand on face unlock or simply removing it.

Any such experiences?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
face unlock is very low security. All some1 needs is just hold up a picture of you and it would unlock it. Easy answer is don't use it. It isn't meant for high security, for that use pattern or pin unlock.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It was never advertised as a high security feature. It's more one of those cool things you can do with your phone that your friends can't.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
face unlock is very low security. All some1 needs is just hold up a picture of you and it would unlock it. Easy answer is don't use it. It isn't meant for high security, for that use pattern or pin unlock.

Face unlock requires you to blink on my phone so the picture trick doesn't work. The ICS version can be fooled with a picture though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The jelly bean version can still be fooled, it is a bit more work, but basically you get a photo of the person, edit it by colouring in the eyes the same colour as the skin then switch between the original and the edited photo to simulate a blink.

I tried the photo unlock on my Nexus 7, but gave up on it because it didn't recognise me often enough, I don't really need security on it, I just liked the idea of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Good thing the average phone thief is a crack head that doesn't have the patience or computer to go through all that lol

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if the average thief can't do if they have a fence that can.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if the average thief can't do if they have a fence that can.

Man people fence jewelry and flat screen TVs. No matter what you paid for your cell phone its only worth 50 bucks at the most on the street. And that's a generous estimate. 9/10 when a phone gets stolen its by someone who wants it for their own use. The other 1/10 is the crack head looking for a quick fix. Either way I doubt the thief has a head shot pic of you to open your phone with. Even if they do get it open avast and several other apps out there allow you to remotely wipe your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae