Crashing browser

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
First off, I will start my post by saying I hate Verizon more than anything on Earth.... if you care why, I'll include it at the end of the post, but lets get to the problem with my brand new phone.

I purchased an HTC Droid DNA on the day it released. It is still all stock (not unlocked) and trouble free so far. Well, that is until yesterday when my browser started having an issue of crashing. It will run some sites just fine (i.e. google.com) but when I try to open others, one of 3 things happens: it loads fine, it crashes to the home screen, or it gives me a redirect saying "Webpage not available. The webpage at file:///android_asset/webkit/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new address". This is the most common of the 3 which sucks. I don't know why my browser is redirecting me to this site, or rather this file but I cant get it to stop. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

So on to Verizon, I called their "tech support" and apparently they don't have ANY (zero, none, etc) material on the Droid DNA so they couldn't even begin to troubleshoot this. How the hell do you release a device that your tech support has no idea how to work on/troubleshoot? Further, she suggested I take advantage of the 14 day return policy and take it back to the store I got it from. Unfortunately thats not possible seeing as I am in the middle of a PCS to my new base in North Carolina and I purchased this at my old base in Mississippi. How much less helpful can one company get?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Does the issue only happen with the same websites? Or does it randomly occur with other sites as well?

Go into Menu > Settings > Applications. Look for the browser and select the force stop/clear cache options -- if there is an option to clear data then do that as well.

Hopefully this clears up the issue. If not, then your other option would be to use a third-party browser such as Chrome, Opera, Dolphin, Firefox, etc. These are generally better than stock anyways, so its probably not a bad thing to switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995