No access to Google Now settings

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to reset google now without doing a factory reset?

I'm trying to change the weather from Fahrenheit to Celsius and all the tutorials out there tell me to go into google search settings and choose Google now from there. But I don't have that option. One possibility is that I didn't hit "Yes, I'm in" after first running google now (but I'm 99% positive I did) and a way to completely reset this would be an option, but I can't find a way to do it. Clearing data, cache, uninstalling updates or even disabling and reenabling google search does nothing.

2013-01-07_15-26-38.png

Any ideas?

I'm running a European HTC One S, running the latest update.

2013-01-07_15-27-27.png

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
That may be the latest update available to you, but the latest version is 4.2.1. Since you don't seem to have Google Now listed on that screen, go to the actual Google now weather card. You should see 3 dots above the temperature. Tap that. (You may have to do it a few times.) and "settings" should pop up.

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
A weather card doesn't give me the 3 dot menu and I've cleared the data and cache already (you would know this, if you had read the original post).

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. All of my active cards have the 3 dot menu option. I am on 4.21, but I don't believe that is the reason. Can you post a screen shot of your Google Now screen with the weather visible?

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
No, this is how it's always been. I have to say "current weather IN CELSIUS". There's still no way to access the settings.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The screen on my Galaxy Nexus (which is pure Android) looks slightly different. I have a Google Search bar on top with the microphone. I'm wondering if HTC modified it slightly.

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
That's the card when I use the voice input. If I use text input, it's like this:

2013-01-11_19-08-44.png

I don't see how it would be different. It's an app from the market, not preinstalled. :-\

EDIT:

I should say, this isn't a google now card that's always present. It's just a search result.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: No access to Google Now settings

Google search decides regional settings based on chosen Languge. In voice setting you should have voice languge, set it to English US for farenhigt, if that does not work search whole system languge to English US.

You can also say "in farenhight" in end of you weather query.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Odp: No access to Google Now settings

Google search decides regional settings based on chosen Languge. In voice setting you should have voice languge, set it to English US for farenhigt, if that does not work search whole system languge to English US.

Read the original post, he wants it in Celsius. Also, Google Now should have settings that can be changed. His problem is he cannot get to them.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: No access to Google Now settings

Read the original post, he wants it in Celsius. Also, Google Now should have settings that can be changed. His problem is he cannot get to them.

Then use English (UK) or say "in celsius" at the end, Knowlage Graph works only on English (but i think he already figured that out ;))

Also his problem is units, so telling him how to get specific units without access to settings

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This may be too obvious but have you gone to the actual Google app in the app drawer? It looks different than when you access it simply from a search. You may be able to access settings from this "version" of the app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that you are not even using Google Now, just Google Search. Google Now is integrated with Search but it is an additional component with various cards, one of which is the weather card. You seem to be missing it. If you are swiping up on your home screen and not seeing any cards you have a problem and a factory reset is probably your only option.

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Snickerdoodle... :( That's what I was afraid of and was saving as a last option.

I have almost all my contacts with high-res images now. If I back them up as a v-card will it preserve the high resolution image or will I have to redo all of them?

EDIT: sorry for not responding to this sooner, but I stopped receiving notifications about replies. I have had voice search set to English (generic) and even changing it to English (UK) it returns weather in Fahrenheit, unless I say "in celsius". My region and language settings are set to English (Slovenia) and unless Google thinks we use Fahrenheit, none of these settings make a difference and it just defaults to American.

I've tried force stopping google search, including clearing data beforehand and also rebooting the phone. Nothing changes. :(

Last edited:

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Odp: No access to Google Now settings

I don't know how I missed this, but I eventually found the same suggestion somewhere else, setting the phone's language and region setting to EN(US) turned Google Now on (previously it had been set to EN(SI) through morelocale2). Everything's working properly now. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sorry I missed it.