Android 4.3 - What do YOU want?

Walkop

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
5/1/2013 - Major Revision: Title edited to be more in line with recent rumors about the next version of Android being 4.3, rather than 5.0.

We all know the next version of Android is coming soon. Since 4.1 Jelly Bean was released, I think it can be honestly said that Android has become a polished OS to use. It is smooth, pleasant and aesthetically pleasing. It rivals iOS almost perfectly in that department, where it has constantly had an iron-fist rule. However, there are still things to be improved upon and there is obviously room for new features and new technology. That is the reason why I created this thread, to brainstorm those ideas!

Now that it is gaining some traction, a more solid organizational system for the main thread is in order. There main list in this post consolidates the suggestions from throughout the thread. It features subheadings for each segment of the Android OS, which organizes suggestions by group. Each suggestion will have a number beside it, denoting the amount of votes for said suggestion. The list is below!

------------------------------
----------
CONSOLIDATED LIST

UI:
  • [3] Bring the "invert color" accessibility option back, with local on/off toggles in the notification shade.
  • [2] Create a multi-window API so applications can run side-by-side. Similar to Samsung's system on Note-series devices.
  • [2] Similar to the above, create a UI where 2+ applications can run at once using a segmented UI for each app (example: HP WebOS).
  • [2] Give the user the choice to allow the all notifications to be visible from the lock screen (even with security measures enabled).
  • [2] Allow the user to adjust the maximum number of homescreens without a third-party launcher.
  • [2] Allow the user to long-press of the stock Gesture Type keyboard to activate a long-press number row.
  • [1] Add a "close all" tab to the task switcher, like there is for notifications. I've been in many situations where this would be useful.
  • [1] Allow the developer settings in the Settings app to be re-hidden using the same (or similar) process that was used to reveal them.
  • [1] The holo-blue effect that appears when you fling your finger to reach the end of a list-view is very inconsistent. Sometimes it is so subtle the average person would never notice it, other times it is exaggerated to the extreme. Fix it!
  • [1] Allow the user to hide the system bar UI at their own choice.

System:
  • [5] Better overall battery performance (decrease system overhead, etc.).
  • [4] Bring back the option to set media, ringtone, and notification volumes individually from the volume rocker, perhaps through a local menu button.
  • [4] Increased system Bluetooth support (Full AVRCP 1.3/1.4, etc.).
  • [3] Allow the option of touching the screen to take your device out of sleep.
  • [3] Integrate an app-data/system data (apps, widgets, data, homescreen layout) backup system into the OS or Google's Cloud services, so that application data can be automatically backed up for use on other devices.
  • [3] Allow devices to natively transfer images, data, video, text, etc. live to your own other Android devices (similar to Beam, but expanded and longer range).
  • [3] Allow calender events to adjust your phone status to silent, loud, etc.
  • [3] Allow Android x86 to be installed natively on desktop and laptop PCs by users.
  • [3] Allow native SD card storage for all applications.
  • [3] Allow for the user to change the default save location for media, document, and download folders from within the OS (such as the settings menu).
  • [2] Increase overall system stability.
  • [2] Allow the user to easily revert to the stock UI and overall experience from any manufacturer skins overlaid on Android.
  • [2] Improve system performance.

Google/System Apps

• GENERAL:
  • [2] Create a more consistant UI between the different Google apps. (YouTube and Currents, for example).
  • [1] A built-in task automation application, similar to Tasker.
    COMMUNICATION:
  • [9] Unify Android's various IM/SMS/Video chat services into a single application (and a single service). Start a video chat from the SMS screen, start IM'ing after sending a person a text message to enable their data, etc.
  • [4] Automatically sync high-resolution Contact images to your Android device from your Google account, and vice-versa!
  • [3] Enhance contact handling natively in People. (compare: BlackBerry).
    YOUTUBE:
  • [4] Allow the ability to play YouTube videos in the background.
  • [2] Increase the performance and improve the YouTube app (the experience isn't particularly pleasant).
    PLAY MUSIC:
  • [1] Fix the darn Google Play Music app! The UI is confounding for a supposedly official, fully-fledged media player. Options are scattered across the menus, and it is counter-intuitive.
  • [1] Add support for file types such as WMA (if possible, not sure if there would be issues with Microsoft in that area). It would certainly help with music syncing for Windows users from Windows Media Player (which converts files to WMA format whenever they are in AAC, etc. format).
  • CAMERA:
  • [1] Fix the Camera touch-to-display UI, so that it appears in a hemisphere facing away from the finger used to touch the display (like the AOSP browser quick-controls). Currently, some of the options are blocked off by the presence of your finger (and that's no good!).
  • [1] Using the above principle, fix the Camera UI so when you touch the near-edge of the display, the outermost options aren't hidden off-screen.
  • [1] In the Camera UI, the bottom-right button indicates the status of your camera flash. However, tapping it opens up a static options menu versus the touch-to-display UI that normally appears. This is redundant. Make this button a camera flash control and fix that UI so it appears properly.
  • [2] Allow the ability to choose any save location in the Camera settings for devices that have SD cards.

ECOSYSTEM
  • [4] Add additional categories improve overall search effectiveness in Google Play. App discovery is lacking.
  • [3]Create a unified desktop backup/syncing service that can handle applications, application data, pictures, music, videos, etc. There is no simple way to keep our Android devices backed-up to local storage without complicated (manual) procedures. Sure, it can be done through the plethora of services available, but this is by no means simple.
  • [2] Automatically sort reviews of products on Play by newest first (or default to user preference).
  • [2] Add a "Podcasts" section to Google Play.
----------
------------------------------

Much more to come!

Last edited:

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android 5.0 - What do YOU want?

An UI with cards, cardstacks and such ... like WebOS (LunaCE) ... would be nice. I miss those.

oneouthere

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Allow you to hide the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.

and allow split screen to run two apps at once like Samsung hehe

Walkop

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Feel a bit foolish now, normally I'm the one that checks for these sort of things! Regardless, I'd be fine if a moderator closed this topic in favour of the other 2 already existing. If not, then the discussion can continue - I think the layout and idea of this thread, consolidating everyone's ideas in a single post in addition to individual's posting their own, is unique in a way - but it doesn't really matter, I'm fine either way! :)

As for everyone else - I'm liking these ideas. Simple, yet the little things make a consistent difference across the entire user experience.

hodie63

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Add a better notification/lock screen combo. I feel you should be able to see your notifications without the use of 3rd party apps. and without having to wake your phone up to pull down the notification bar.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

On the platform with the worse stock IM service/experience and no built in task application people are worrying about camera save locations and trash like that?

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I just want things to be more unified, similar to iphone:

-Unified communication similar to imessage that combines sms/mms/gchat/etc. and easily allows you to start video chat from sms screen.
-A desktop program similar to itunes that lets you organize your photos/music/apps/contacts/calendars all in one place rather than having to go to google+ to see your auto-uploaded pictures then to play to see your music then to gmail to see your contacts and calendar, carbon for your backed up apps ad nauseum. Love having stuff in the cloud but having to go to so many places to organize my cloud data is annoying.

Obviously won't all happen but these two things are what google is most sorely missing and has been for a long time IMO.

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site

Facetime-like messaging intergration, better battery life, toggle customization and a seamless desktop program

srmojuze

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

We all know the next version of Android is coming soon. Since 4.1 Jelly Bean was released, I think it can be honestly said that Android has become a polished OS to use. It is smooth, pleasant and aesthetically pleasing. It rivals iOS almost perfectly in that department, where it has constantly had an iron-fist rule. However, there are still things to be improved upon and there is obviously room for new features and new technology. That is the reason why I created this thread, to brainstorm those ideas!

I want to INSTALL AND RUN ANDROID 5 ON MY 15" LAPTOP. Time for Android x86 to completely blow away Windows 2013-2018. I appreciate the good stuff that Windows indeed did bring into our lives but Time's Up.

Walkop

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Just updated the main post with a new layout and all the latest posts consolidated into one. Keep it up, guys!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I want to INSTALL AND RUN ANDROID 5 ON MY 15" LAPTOP. Time for Android x86 to completely blow away Windows 2013-2018. I appreciate the good stuff that Windows indeed did bring into our lives but Time's Up.

Mobile system gonna blow away desktop system. Also you won't see installable x86 Android until it will run on mainline Linux (there a project going to bring Android modification to mainline on same or diffrent form), as i hear Google modified way that hardware drivers works in kernel and most likely they need modifications in order to work properly (thru in not 100% sure).

bamashooter

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Bring back "invert color" feature with on/off in notification or side bar option. "Wake Up" touch screen tap option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci