one of my first posts.....Gnex 4.2.1 root help????

JBN311

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I'm Jesse.

A little frazzled though.
I have a Galaxy Nexus and I used the Wug tool kit to root it. with that I got the busy box and SuperSU and pdanet programs on my phone.

I downloaded JB4.2.1 from the CM10.1 website and I am curious about how to put it on my phone from my computer.

I really don't know what I was thinking when I started doing this, so I guess I will just try to make the best of the situation......I realize I deserve flaming......thanks....

:)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can do it couple different ways.

1. You can hook up your phone to your computer using the USB and normally in Windows it will open up a prompt to explore the Galaxy Nexus. So from there you can open Windows Explorer and just drag and drop or copy/paste it onto your device's internal memory.

2. Using Wugs Tool Kit there is also an option on there to do basically the same thing. Transfer files from computer to device.

and don't worry about it.. Everyone goes down this same path when they first attempt rooting. That's what were here for is to help :)

JBN311

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
lol, does it really take 11 hrs for the files to transfer like my computer says??????? oooop! just went down to 3 hours....lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No that is a Windows related bug I believe in calculating.. I'm assuming your using Windows Explorer to transfer.. I've seen the same thing, it usually only takes a couple mins worst case.

In the future I would recommend either using Wugs Toolkit to transfer or even once you get more comfortable with Android try using ADB commands to transfer files which is way faster and more efficient especially with the Nexus devices.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
okay, it just finished...... now how do I know which folder or file I need to install it with?
Assuming that you installed ClockWorkMod or TWRP recovery to your device when you rooted you need to boot into whichever one.

1. Boot into custom recovery ( Powered off, press and hold Volume Up/Down and then continue holding and press Power for a few seconds).
2. Using Volume Up/Down to make selections from your bootloader screen select RECOVERY and press Power to confirm selection
3. Now you will boot into your custom recovery.
4. Make a Nandroid (Backup) before doing anything else. (takes a few mins) This will be handy in the event you want to revert back to your stock setup prior to flashing the ROM. Also in the event something goes wrong during the flash you can recover to a working setup by restoring this backup.
5. Then next thing is to wipe data, cache partition and advanced/dalvik recovery
6. Install zip from sdcard (internal memory).
7. Find the files you placed on your internal memory and select-confirm-flash :)
8. Select reboot device when finished.

Wait patiently for a few minutes since first boot is always the longest as the system aligns all the files and populates the dalvik cache for the first time.

JBN311

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay! We are up and running! Used the Wug tool kit.

Now I can't get into the play store, or even connect my phone to VZW so I can get my data package, or even connect with my google account.....any (specific) tips?

Thanks, sorry

GNEX with CM10.1 version of 4.2.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox