Screen Timeout on GS3 with new JB upgrade (+ battery issues)

moosepaws

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the new Jelly Bean OS, and so far, I HATE it. The biggest problem is the screen timeout. I can go into Settings > Display > Screen Timeout, and my options range from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. I've tried each one, and have hard-reset the phone, but no matter what, the screen turns off and Locks after 5 seconds. On ICS, if the screen turned off, and you caught it right away, you could just hit the side button, and it would come back, or hit the side button and swipe the screen (now I don't remember!). It wouldn't lock unless you turned the screen off manually, or if it turned off itself, and wasn't "caught" within 5 seconds. I have a Power Controls app, and can make the screen stay on unless I turn it off manually. However, if I leave that feature on, and I bump a button in my purse/pocket, it won't turn off, and it kills the battery. There's a new pup-up, too, when I choose a screen timeout that says "

My battery life on JB is crappy vs. ICS as is. I have a workout app that requires GPS and would take ~20% battery life over an hour run on ICS. It now takes 90%+ in less than an hour. I can't even use it, since my phone will die before I'm done my run. I don't have any new apps, or different settings (other than the screen timeout problem) since upgrading from ICS to JB. So there's no reason it should suddenly have such a battery problem. I had a 3 year-old GS1 that had better battery life than my 6-month-old GS3 with new JB.

Failing a way to fix the screen timeout, anyone know how to get back to ICS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is slightly worse due once I upgraded to JB, but mostly due to my Google Now settings. My battery issue isn't nearly as bad as yours though. I haven't had any issues with the screen timeout though. My recommendation is to do a factory reset on your phone, which is usually recommended when upgrading your OS. If you choose to do that, I would suggest backing up all of your apps with something like Carbon Backup. It doesn't require root, and you can back up all of your app data. to make it so much easier to get everything back after the reset.

It kind of annoying and time consuming, but the fresh install almost always works better than the update, which is essentially just a patch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae