Switching from iPhone 5 to GS3/Nexus 4

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
P.S. You N4 people are the cool kids with all the good stuff first while the rest of us wait our turn. :p

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
:p I managed to grab one on the initial day before it got sold out!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. You N4 people are the cool kids with all the good stuff first while the rest of us wait our turn. :p

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
Wait you have a nexus you should upgrades just as fast as me!!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
:p I managed to grab one on the initial day before it got sold out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait you have a nexus you should upgrades just as fast as me!!
It's not a Goggle. We get ours second though, which is better than everyone else. That's why I'm waiting for the 4.2.2 since it shouldn't be long now.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's not a Goggle. We get ours second though, which is better than everyone else. That's why I'm waiting for the 4.2.2 since it shouldn't be long now.

All nexus 4's are made by LG and I got my 4.2.2 a day after announcement! and the Galaxy nexus is google

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
FYI - you will be customizing and playing with your new Android phone so much in the first month that you will then be complaining that the battery doesn't get you through the day. Be sure to have multiple charging options available to get you through this period. Rest assured that once you settle in to your normal usage patterns the battery will be fine.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
All nexus 4's are made by LG
But only sold by Google so no manufacturer/carrier to deal with to push out updates?
and the Galaxy nexus is google
There are multiple GNexs - Google's, the GSM version (which might be the same as Google's), the Sprint version and the Verizon version. The Sprint version gets updated soon after the Google version and the Verizon version never gets anything in a timely manner.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
But only sold by Google so no manufacturer/carrier to deal with to push out updates? There are multiple GNexs - Google's, the GSM version (which might be the same as Google's), the Sprint version and the Verizon version. The Sprint version gets updated soon after the Google version and the Verizon version never gets anything in a timely manner.

Well that blows

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well that blows

Yup that's the beauty of open GSM and licensed CDMA technology

On topic though, I would go Nexus 4 if you can. Fast updates straight from Google and no bloat apps, which are good considering the storage size. Almost all apps that come on tje GS3 can be found on play store, or find one thats similar. Plus if you're used to jail braking, this phone can be unlocked and rooted using wugs toolkit with a few clicks. And if you need warranty work you can relock with a click and no one is the wiser. And Google won't try and block you from doing this in future updates. The GS3 is a decent phone, but I hate touch wiz. Looks cartoonish and childish IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Yup that's the beauty of open GSM and licensed CDMA technology

On topic though, I would go Nexus 4 if you can. Fast updates straight from Google and no bloat apps, which are good considering the storage size. Almost all apps that come on tje GS3 can be found on play store, or find one thats similar. Plus if you're used to jail braking, this phone can be unlocked and rooted using wugs toolkit with a few clicks. And if you need warranty work you can relock with a click and no one is the wiser. And Google won't try and block you from doing this in future updates. The GS3 is a decent phone, but I hate touch wiz. Looks cartoonish and childish IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah touch wiz looks horrible

Greg Lamb

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Cross posting in a couple of places because I've spent the last couple of hours searching for an answer. In regards to Google Now, will it only work with GMail email and calendar to show events/appointments and information from email (bookings etc)? There's no way I'm going to forward my corporate email and and even less chance that I can use GCal for work so will google Now be useless for the event card? I don't use public transport and ride a motorcycle to work so is traffic information also useless or will it be able to learn I move faster than cars around town?

I've dabbled with android many time over the years from a G1, a couple of HTCs an SGS2 and SGS3. I've decided I dislike TouchWiz especially the stock keyboard and the changes Samsung obviously make to the stock android apps especially email, so am thinking a Nexus is the go or might try the HTC One when its released.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Cross posting in a couple of places because I've spent the last couple of hours searching for an answer. In regards to Google Now, will it only work with GMail email and calendar to show events/appointments and information from email (bookings etc)? There's no way I'm going to forward my corporate email and and even less chance that I can use GCal for work so will google Now be useless for the event card? I don't use public transport and ride a motorcycle to work so is traffic information also useless or will it be able to learn I move faster than cars around town?

I've dabbled with android many time over the years from a G1, a couple of HTCs an SGS2 and SGS3. I've decided I dislike TouchWiz especially the stock keyboard and the changes Samsung obviously make to the stock android apps especially email, so am thinking a Nexus is the go or might try the HTC One when its released.
It is all about the Google integration. You could set up a Google calendar sync somehow with outlook if that's what you use. For the longest, I only had a GCal as a backup for my iPhone app calendar. Then I made the switch to Android but had to set up an actual gmail account to backup the phone contacts. Again, all about the Google integration. You don't have to physically use them. Just have the info there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech