03-09-2013 09:16 AM
31 12
tools
    So I will be switching from a iPhone 5 to a GS3 or a Nexus 4.
    I have some noob questions about both and the Android operating system as a whole. I've never used any Android phone before.
    Which one has more customization? That's pretty much the main reason I'm switching. Can you customize as extensively as a Jailbroken iPhone with themes? I know there's these launcher things, can you have multiple Launchers and switch between them? And where do you get the Icon skins for the Launchers from? The Google Play store? Also, what are the main differences between the S3 and the Nexus 4? Does one do things that the other can't? And does the S3 have Google Now?

Thanks.
    03-04-2013 08:15 PM
    Jailbroken iOS devices can't compare to how much you can customize Android devices (well they kinda can but Android has many more customization potential), that includes themes. In certain phone sections there are topics where people show off their homescreens.

S3 and N4 have similar specs, but the S3 has more features and the N4 is pure vanilla Android and will get updates first.

No idea about launchers, and I believe S3 does have Google Now.
    03-04-2013 09:15 PM
    As Demonic said, Nexus is just a working phone, however Samsung is a device more geared to the general market, a lot like the iPhone so it might be easier to use. However the Nexus gets updates faster. All up to you.
    03-04-2013 09:24 PM
    Be sure to check out AndroidCentral's own Apple User's Guide to Android for more information of your subject.
    To answer your questions:

Which one has more customization?
    - Android definitely.

Can you customize as extensively as a Jailbroken iPhone with themes?
    - More in depth, with custom animations and icons.

Can you have multiple Launchers and switch between them?
    - You can, but there is no reason to. Usually people stick with one main launcher.

And where do you get the Icon skins for the Launchers from? The Google Play store?
    - Most icon packs are found on the Google Play Store. You can also find most online. Most launchers now-a-days support icon packs.

Also, what are the main differences between the S3 and the Nexus 4? Does one do things that the other can't?
    - There are some big differences between the two. I will point you to here, an indepth look at the phones by GizmoPhiliacs.

And does the S3 have Google Now?
    - Yep! Since 4.1
    03-04-2013 09:25 PM
    If you want to customize more, have a device with better specs & faster updates - get the N4.
    If you want a phone with more bells & whistles that while are nice you might not want & will soon be replaced as the flagship by the S4 - then get the S3.
    03-04-2013 09:25 PM
    Yeah the Nexus 4 is barebones in terms of software features but that's part of the whole being vanilla Android, it's more for development and not having to use Android that's been modified by carries and manufacturers.

Overall though, the two phones are pretty similar.
    03-04-2013 09:27 PM
    How hard is it to customize an Android phone?
    Like if I wanted to make my S3 look like this http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/03/04/...homescreen-10/
    Would it be a complicated process or is it straightforward?
    03-04-2013 09:41 PM
    Like if I wanted to make my S3 look like this http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/03/04/...homescreen-10/
    It will vary from homescreen to homescreen. But it's not hard after a bit of experimenting.
    03-04-2013 09:44 PM
    It seems to say right next to the phone what was used to make it.
    03-04-2013 09:45 PM
    I have some noob questions about both and the Android operating system as a whole. I've never used any Android phone before.
    Which one has more customization? That's pretty much the main reason I'm switching. Can you customize as extensively as a Jailbroken iPhone with themes? I know there's these launcher things, can you have multiple Launchers and switch between them? And where do you get the Icon skins for the Launchers from? The Google Play store? Also, what are the main differences between the S3 and the Nexus 4? Does one do things that the other can't? And does the S3 have Google Now?

Thanks.
    Android has infinitely more customization options. You can download all sorts of new launchers, keyboards, etc from the Play Store. I don't know how extensively you customize your jailbroken iPhone. But Android should have plenty of options to keep you busy.

Google Now is part of Jelly Bean so any phone with Jelly Bean will have it. Go with the N4 over the GS3. They are pretty much equal on features IMO.
    03-05-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks.
    As someone that never had a smartphone, but had an iPod Touch, I'd suggest the Samsung S3 (or wait for S4). I say this because having a pure Google phone is very frustrating. So many things are missing. Yes you can customize it to fit your needs eventually (not referring to themes, just basic apps and features), but it takes a lot of time and research, while other phones come with these things pre installed. For instance, my Galaxy Nexus phone doesn't have a stock notepad app or a timer. I ultimately choose the GNex, because of price, but I didn't understand truly what having one meant. I saw so many threads on here with people complaining about certain things lacking on the GNex and the Android "fanboys" saying "then you shouldn't have gotten this phone" not understanding that everyone that got the phone didn't know what it entailed. The N4 is pretty much the same. I do like getting updated though. I think I'd be frustrated reading about other people on higher OS levels if I didn't have it or know when I'd get it. My phone already had the update to Jellybean (4.2.1) before some people even got moved from Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 3.0) to original Jellybean (Android 4.1.1). The N4 already has 4.2.2 which I'm still waiting for, but will get soon as GNexs are next in line after the Google Nexus line.

I have had my phone since September and just learned about Launchers. I am using Nova Launcher as it's pretty basic and allows the look and feel of the stock launcher but with more options of setting up screens, removing elements, and resizing things. I'm sure it does more but that's plenty for me right now. On the other hand, I just downloaded Go Launcher Ex and it completely changes the look of your phone and has lots of free or $1.99 theme paks to download from the Play Store. If you look it up on the Google Play store online you can see images. If I'd found this when I first got my phone, I'd probably be more interested in using it, but now I'm set, though, I didn't uninstall it. I have it disabled on my phone, just in case I get the itch.

Hope this was helpful.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    03-05-2013 08:49 AM
    I switched from an iPhone to an Android phone and would never go back. My last iPhone was jailbroken, but I can customize and do more with my stock unrooted Android phone. With a launcher I can customize it in ad finitem. I can put widgets, apps, notifications and my agenda on my lockscreen. And I can not only install icon packs and themes, but I can via the launcher change out individual icons to suit my taste. I can add or delete homescreen and change whether the apps in my app drawer scroll horizontally or vertically with different transition effects. In short, there is almost no limit to how you can customize your phone. If you root it, you can do even more, but I haven't found a need to do so.

Once you get used to the power of widgets you'll never want to go back to the boring iPhone. Speaking of widgets, with apps like Beautiful Widgets you can customize how your clock and weather looks, removing the background, etc. Digital clocks, analog clocks, animated weather... the (Android) world is your oyster.

The only downside I found in switching was that there were a couple of apps I really liked that didn't make an Android version. Most apps do offer versions for each phone. But for those that didn't I was able to find substitutes from different vendors.
    03-05-2013 02:04 PM
    Easy. That's just a certain icon pack that you install. You can find icon packs in the play store or download them from any number of sites.
    03-05-2013 02:08 PM
    If you want that homescreen, or any from mycolorscreen.com, it's pretty easy as the designers usually provide the files all ready to go and the guy that runs the site does a lot of youtube demos that walk you right through it.

If you want to do your own design it is more time consuming, but I wouldn't say hard, as you can do most of it with launcher settings and custom widgets like UCCW.
    03-07-2013 01:49 PM
    Be sure to check out AndroidCentral's own Apple User's Guide to Android for more information of your subject.
    To answer your questions:

Which one has more customization?
    - Android definitely.

Can you customize as extensively as a Jailbroken iPhone with themes?
    - More in depth, with custom animations and icons.

Can you have multiple Launchers and switch between them?
    - You can, but there is no reason to. Usually people stick with one main launcher.

And where do you get the Icon skins for the Launchers from? The Google Play store?
    - Most icon packs are found on the Google Play Store. You can also find most online. Most launchers now-a-days support icon packs.

Also, what are the main differences between the S3 and the Nexus 4? Does one do things that the other can't?
    - There are some big differences between the two. I will point you to here, an indepth look at the phones by GizmoPhiliacs.

And does the S3 have Google Now?
    - Yep! Since 4.1
    You can do all of that(custom animations,custom icons etc) with a jailbroken device but stock android has more customization then stock iOS, you can also change the launcher with DreamBoard. so no Android is not more in-depth (unless you mean custom ROM's, then yes)
    I recommend the Nexus 4 because it has more customisation potential(easier to unlock,root,hack etc)
    03-07-2013 03:11 PM
    As someone that never had a smartphone, but had an iPod Touch, I'd suggest the Samsung S3 (or wait for S4). I say this because having a pure Google phone is very frustrating. So many things are missing. Yes you can customize it to fit your needs eventually (not referring to themes, just basic apps and features), but it takes a lot of time and research, while other phones come with these things pre installed. For instance, my Galaxy Nexus phone doesn't have a stock notepad app or a timer. I ultimately choose the GNex, because of price, but I didn't understand truly what having one meant. I saw so many threads on here with people complaining about certain things lacking on the GNex and the Android "fanboys" saying "then you shouldn't have gotten this phone" not understanding that everyone that got the phone didn't know what it entailed. The N4 is pretty much the same. I do like getting updated though. I think I'd be frustrated reading about other people on higher OS levels if I didn't have it or know when I'd get it. My phone already had the update to Jellybean (4.2.1) before some people even got moved from Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 3.0) to original Jellybean (Android 4.1.1). The N4 already has 4.2.2 which I'm still waiting for, but will get soon as GNexs are next in line after the Google Nexus line.

I have had my phone since September and just learned about Launchers. I am using Nova Launcher as it's pretty basic and allows the look and feel of the stock launcher but with more options of setting up screens, removing elements, and resizing things. I'm sure it does more but that's plenty for me right now. On the other hand, I just downloaded Go Launcher Ex and it completely changes the look of your phone and has lots of free or $1.99 theme paks to download from the Play Store. If you look it up on the Google Play store online you can see images. If I'd found this when I first got my phone, I'd probably be more interested in using it, but now I'm set, though, I didn't uninstall it. I have it disabled on my phone, just in case I get the itch.

Hope this was helpful.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    What are you talking about the clock has a timer built in! and coming from an iPhon I never had those issues on me N4
    03-07-2013 03:14 PM
    What are you talking about the clock has a timer built in! and coming from an iPhon I never had those issues on me N4
    There's one in the 4.2.1 upgrade. It wasn't included before that.

03-07-2013 07:22 PM
    There's one in the 4.2.1 upgrade. It wasn't included before that.

Apologies my phone came with 4.2.1 so I dont know much about androids past!
    03-07-2013 07:25 PM
    No worries. I just found out that is one of the upgrades but I'm waiting til 4.2.2 before installing anything.

03-07-2013 07:38 PM
    P.S. You N4 people are the cool kids with all the good stuff first while the rest of us wait our turn.

03-07-2013 07:40 PM
    P.S. You N4 people are the cool kids with all the good stuff first while the rest of us wait our turn.

:P I managed to grab one on the initial day before it got sold out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait you have a nexus you should upgrades just as fast as me!!
    03-07-2013 07:42 PM
    :P I managed to grab one on the initial day before it got sold out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait you have a nexus you should upgrades just as fast as me!!
    It's not a Goggle. We get ours second though, which is better than everyone else. That's why I'm waiting for the 4.2.2 since it shouldn't be long now.

03-07-2013 07:57 PM
    It's not a Goggle. We get ours second though, which is better than everyone else. That's why I'm waiting for the 4.2.2 since it shouldn't be long now.

All nexus 4's are made by LG and I got my 4.2.2 a day after announcement! and the Galaxy nexus is google
    03-07-2013 07:59 PM
    FYI - you will be customizing and playing with your new Android phone so much in the first month that you will then be complaining that the battery doesn't get you through the day. Be sure to have multiple charging options available to get you through this period. Rest assured that once you settle in to your normal usage patterns the battery will be fine.
    03-07-2013 09:10 PM
    All nexus 4's are made by LG
    But only sold by Google so no manufacturer/carrier to deal with to push out updates?
    and the Galaxy nexus is google
    There are multiple GNexs - Google's, the GSM version (which might be the same as Google's), the Sprint version and the Verizon version. The Sprint version gets updated soon after the Google version and the Verizon version never gets anything in a timely manner.

03-07-2013 09:24 PM
31 12