Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich or Gingerbread : Which is better?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Although, there is no difference between any OS of Android, but I still have a doubt which OS is better from their functionalities and features?

They are upgrades incremental to each other. Gingerbread is 2.3.x, Honeycomb hardly exists anymore (3.0.x), ICS was leaps and bounds superior to both and combined Tablet and Phone UI's into one set of code (4.0.x). Jellybean 4.1.x introduced Google Now, Project Butter and a slew of awesome sauce features, while Jelly Bean 4.2.2 has primarily been bug fixes and bringing long asked for features, such as lock screen widgets, better inter-app integration, settings quick keys, etc. In general, the higher the number the better :) The differences between GB, ICS and JB are immense, in my opinion.

brainvision

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I used a lot of time a CyanogenMod version of Gingerbread (2.3.7) and only for little time Jellybean stock (4.1.1 and then 4.1.2) - just because I bought my Nexus 7 tablet just 2 weeks ago..
I never thought of Gingerbread something like "Oh, what a Sh***y OS!" and I always find very comfortable with it.. but it's obvious that a young platform like Android needs at least some time to find the way to follow: so imo Jellybean is much better of its predecessor.. better look, better integration apps/OS - due to a better knowledge of the code. and so on..

But on my old Samsung Corby Cyanogen still works very very good and it always will! ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
tumblr_lmd52ib88C1qkjxr5o1_500.jpg

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I know this sounds crazy but I don't like the fact that there isn't an option to insert a smiley in gtalk on jellybean and ics. I dont have all the smileys memorized.
via Samsung Epic Touch

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Get any of them that are stable, run fluid on your phone and install a launcher. With a good launcher you can tweak Gingerbread to be just as good as Jelly Bean. I'm still running GB and I have folders on my home screen, tabs in app drawer and widgets on my lock screen, just like JB.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
But I guarantee u c the difference in speeds next to a jb phone though

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Until may jb will be the best mobile os in the universe. Then klp will be. Suggest jb or klp on any purchase consideration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
In the thousands of posts I've read, it's apparent to me that the best Android version is the one that your device hasn't been updated to yet.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
out of the box its gotta be JB. But I agree with Jon_Doh that JB can be emulated quite well with third party launchers and tweaking.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I prefer dedicated buttons on the device, so Gingerbread. HC/ICS/JB design language is designed for on-screen buttons and is a PITA the use on a larger phone (4.5"+ specifically) one handed as some elements are put in the most insane places on the screen - like the menu button in most apps in the top right and the tab button in browsers on the top right. I prefer Microsoft's way of putting that stuff on the bottom of the screen, and only if the app needs it. It makes more sense. Apps designed for ICS (using that design language) look better than FroYo/GB apps, but they have generally been a usability nightmare for me.

Also devices with ICS+ generally integrate less services, and much worse than most of the FroYo/GB devices I've owned.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is. I've compared it to the SG3 and HTC One S. Can't say about the others you mention. But it is much smoother and faster than the two I mention.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually it is. I've compared it to the SG3 and HTC One S. Can't say about the others you mention. But it is much smoother and faster than the two I mention.

Hahahaha yeah OK buddy its no way possible GB is faster than jb

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

whitespace

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
... I don't like the fact that there isn't an option to insert a smiley in gtalk on jellybean and ics. I dont have all the smileys memorized.

In gtalk on Jellybean (and ICS) the default Android keyboard has a smiley key bottom right.

I think out-of-the-box JB has to be the better OS. I particularly like the swipe input on the default Android keyboard with JB.