What does unlocking the boot loader do?

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to rooting. Recently I unlocked the boot loader, rooted and flashed a custom rom on my nexus. I guess I really just wanna know what unlocking the boot loader does and does it affect how the network identifies your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That helps a lot. But just to clarify, unlocking the bootloader has no affect on the way the network identifies or sends and receives information to and from my phone, right?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader will not affect the identity of the phone, but flashing a custom ROM may, depending on the ROM. And that may cause issues with Google Play, but rarely affects how it operates on the network.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The reason I ask is because I'm on the T-Mobile prepaid plan. $30 a month for 100 min, unlimited text and 5gb of data. I rooted and flashed carbon rom. Before I flashed the custom rom, I was able to reset my data back to zero every time I changed the webguard settings through mytmobile. I rarely use WiFi because I don't have access to it. I was using about 20-30gb of data a month. Ever since I flashed custom rom, I can't reset my data now. It'll be ok if T-Mobile figured out what I was doing but if its just the custom rom then I'll just go back to stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton