Backing Up Data from a Phone that Won't Start?

tlehmann

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy S3 with a bit of a problem: It won't start. It had been crashing frequently (going black and not showing the Samsung logo) and eventually gave out on Wednesday. I took it to the Verizon store today and they stuck a new battery in my phone. This didn't do anything. The battery that was in my phone worked fine powering another phone. I've got a replacement phone coming on Tuesday, but in the meantime I need to back up my data. The data on the SD card will be fine, of course, but how can I get data off of the internal memory? I've tried booting the phone without the battery from the USB port on my PC, but to no avail. Is there a way to get back some of the data, or am I out of luck?

Also, as a side note, I was considering unscrewing the back plates to see if there is something loose inside the phone. Will I still be able to send the phone back to Verizon if I do this? Will they be able to tell?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy S3 with a bit of a problem: It won't start. It had been crashing frequently (going black and not showing the Samsung logo) and eventually gave out on Wednesday. I took it to the Verizon store today and they stuck a new battery in my phone. This didn't do anything. The battery that was in my phone worked fine powering another phone. I've got a replacement phone coming on Tuesday, but in the meantime I need to back up my data. The data on the SD card will be fine, of course, but how can I get data off of the internal memory? I've tried booting the phone without the battery from the USB port on my PC, but to no avail. Is there a way to get back some of the data, or am I out of luck?

Also, as a side note, I was considering unscrewing the back plates to see if there is something loose inside the phone. Will I still be able to send the phone back to Verizon if I do this? Will they be able to tell?

To answer your questions in order:
1. I think you probably are out of luck. Even if you were rooted and had backups of all your data, you need the phone to stay powered on to retrieve it.
2. I wouldn't mess with the phone.
3. Yes, they probably would be able to tell. Assume that most likely parts are lightly glued together, and if the glue has been separated, that acts as a tamper proof seal. Then no warranty.

tlehmann

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. Luckily, all of my pictures and videos were backed up to Google Plus. I was hoping to be able to get some app data off of it, but I guess I'm out of luck. Manufacturers really should have some sort of way to let you power the device without a battery in situations like this.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. Luckily, all of my pictures and videos were backed up to Google Plus. I was hoping to be able to get some app data off of it, but I guess I'm out of luck. Manufacturers really should have some sort of way to let you power the device without a battery in situations like this.

True, but it also is a rarity. And it is a bummer, but things like this happen. Best of luck with the new phone.

blakew595

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Question
I have an epic 4g touch (gingerbread) that comes on but the screen is black and unusable is there a way to get the internal data off of it

Sent from my SPH-D710

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Question
I have an epic 4g touch (gingerbread) that comes on but the screen is black and unusable is there a way to get the internal data off of it

Sent from my SPH-D710

Connect it to your PC. As long as the phone is actually functioning you should be able to pull off what you need.

blakew595

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
It was when you had to tell it to connect to USB storage on the phone when you plugged it into the computer

Sent from my SPH-D710

Benjamin P

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC One which is in one of their Grey/Red protective cases... The other day I accidentally dropped it on a gravel road... the damage was right on the corner of the power button and had distorted the plastic around it, so the power button gets stuck.... The phone is in mint condition except for this ****...it powers up, but cause the button is stuck, straight away it powers back down.... went into see if it could be fixed but they are instead sending a replacementl... (but to be honest I'm really disappointed that something so minute like this can render it not working).. I have some pretty important videos I would like that I took earlier that day and hadn't had the change to get the synced up as I have it set to via Wifi Only... I have scoured everywhere and cant find anything...is it really not possible to access the files from the phone? :(