Why doesn't Android develop its own Video Chat feature?!

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I bought my S3 last year, I keep thinking this to myself. I have Google chat, tango, Google+, and deleted Skype. I'm tired of having so many apps just because one friend has one and another has a different one!

Anything like face time or BBM video chat where if u have an Android, we can video chat right out the box....period.

:confused:

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I agree this would be a good feature, I'd rather see one cross platform service become ubiquitous. More people I text and video chat with have iPhones than Androids. An Android only platform would be nearly useless to me. We don't need another BBM or iMessage. What we need is a new SMS/MMS. Something that the carriers implement that supports all these features.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
While I agree this would be a good feature, I'd rather see one cross platform service become ubiquitous. More people I text and video chat with have iPhones than Androids. An Android only platform would be nearly useless to me. We don't need another BBM or iMessage. What we need is a new SMS/MMS. Something that the carriers implement that supports all these features.

That would be a third party app no? We can video chat and text all through the apps I mentioned above through cross platforms...

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be a third party app no? We can video chat and text all through the apps I mentioned above through cross platforms...

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Yes, but as you pointed out you have to get them all because you have 3 friends who use this one 2 who use that and 1 that uses another. If it were implemented at the carrier level the way SMS and MMS are, there would be no installing an app or registering. Everyone would have it automatically, just like MMS and SMS. Basically I'm saying that SMS is an outdated system that should be updated into something like this, then there is no need for Android, Blackberry, or Apple to build these services.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but as you pointed out you have to get them all because you have 3 friends who use this one 2 who use that and 1 that uses another. If it were implemented at the carrier level the way SMS and MMS are, there would be no installing an app or registering. Everyone would have it automatically, just like MMS and SMS. Basically I'm saying that SMS is an outdated system that should be updated into something like this, then there is no need for Android, Blackberry, or Apple to build these services.

Ahh I see.....cool yea :)
Great thought!

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe when Babel comes out more people will use that. As far as cross platform the best we can probably hope for is Facebook to finally add it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

Sherin Farid

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe when Babel comes out more people will use that. As far as cross platform the best we can probably hope for is Facebook to finally add it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD
Yeah Babel should at least sort out Google's/Android's messaging fragmentation. And if the rumors are true about Google looking to acquire Whatsapp then we could see something as strong as BBM only not exclusive to only one platform.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX