Custom message tone for different contacts

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have searched, can you set a separate message tone for different contacts, different from the default message tone. I thought for sure you can do this now with 4.2.2? You can now with the iPhone.

*** Not talking about the Ringtone for the contact but the sms/mms tone for that contact.

Thanks,

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is available (at least on my Samsung Galaxy S3) in Android 4.1.2, but not in earlier versions. Third party apps, including Go SMS and Handcent, provide this capability.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
If it is available in the S3 it must be a Samsung addition. My Galaxy Nexus only has a ringtone option.

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought I did give enough information. I have tried Handcent and it lets me change the default message tone but not for different contacts for their message tone. On my Nexus 4 4.2.2 I cannot set different message tones for different people. I am not talking about what you set for the default message tone in Settings and sound.

So say when my sister sends me a text I want to hear a different tone from what I set for the default message tone.

Last edited:

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Handcent (and probably others) will allow you to set a different notification sound per contact. Get into a thread with the person you want to assign a new tone, then click the settings button top right, and then select notifications.

Skyla Stone

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello all!
I had the same question with my HTC One Mini. After sniffing around in the google play shop I found an application called Light Flow Lite. This is a notification app that allows you to customize the led light notification, custom vibrations, and custom text tones for contacts. It works perfectly for me, might want to give it a try :)
I didn't like using the other messages apps, it just messed up my phones notifications...
I wish you luck :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49