Charging Samsung Galaxy S4

justine538

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a new S4. It came with a 2.1Amp charger. However, I find it extremely slow on charging the handset to 100%. It can take up to an hour, and goes the same for charging via my laptop. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thx.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Remember, charging from your computer will be slower, since it doesn't push as much power as the USB adapter. An hour is pretty good, but what is the percentage when you start charging it?

Posted via Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a new S4. It came with a 2.1Amp charger. However, I find it extremely slow on charging the handset to 100%. It can take up to an hour, and goes the same for charging via my laptop. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thx.

Considering the amount of power that the Galaxy S4 battery contains, one hour for a recharge is a good thing, especially when starting off from 0%.

The only question is, how much battery percentage was left before you charged the device?

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I use a 2.1 AMP charger on my S3 with the samsung 3000mah battery and from less than 10% it will take about 2+ hours easy to charge it to 100%. You have a slightly smaller battery in your S4 and if you get it charged in 1 hour you are doing very well. Don't know what version of USB you have on your computer but one hour on that is doing extremely well I would say.

lindermon

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the S4 and had S3 and S2 previous. USB charging via my laptop is much slower than being plugged into an electrical outlet but one hour is exceptionally fast regardless of the power source in my view. Takes a heck of a lot longer to fully charge an ipad.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
ok this is what i've noticed on my S4. Using the S4 charger that came with it, noting that it says its output is 2A, it charges much slower than when I use my Blackberry charger of 0.75A. I know it doesn't make sense, but i'm seeing the percentage battery increase in front of my eyes quickly on the BB charger than on the S4 charger. Anyone know what's going on?
I had an S3, and the charger for that was fine and quick. I feel there's something up with this S4 charger.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i measured it now,
- S4 charger charges 1% per 5 minutes.
- BB charger charges 1% per 3 minutes.
That sounds as though you are correct to me if the output of the S4 charger is rated at 5V @ 2.1Amp. Have you measured the output of the Charger to see what its output really is?

Last edited:

Kata Rina

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I got a question to that as well
It tells me to disconnect I usually charge overnight (the battery is awesome lasts all day) so I keep it on the charger (a USB plug in wall)
Is there not some sort of automatic shutoff ?

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I got a question to that as well
It tells me to disconnect I usually charge overnight (the battery is awesome lasts all day) so I keep it on the charger (a USB plug in wall)
Is there not some sort of automatic shutoff ?
I would say it did. I don't know what phone you have. My phone knows when the battery is charged and puts a notification on the top which is when I would say it stopped charging. If the phone did not stop charging when the battery was charged the battery would overcharge and overheat. I normally take my phone off the charger though when I see the phone gives me the notification the phone is charged.

Kata Rina

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it says remove charging cable. It's a S4 I pay attentention and take a screen shoot
I know my iPhone does have a function like that.Thank's

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
s4 battery capacity is 2600mAh. if the stock charger is rated 2.1Amp, it means that it can deliver 2100mA of power in 1hour. so to fully charge the phone (reach 2600mA) of course it will take more than 1hour. as for blackberry battery, I don't know exactly the specification but I think it has less capacity than s4 so even with just .75mAh charger the battery is fully charged faster.

will1881

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Buddy. I don't think you understood my point.
I'm comparing the s4 charger and bb charger on 1 phone. That phone being the S4.
Im not using any bb phones in this comparison. Make sense?
My point again is that in an s4 the bb charger charges the s4 faster than the s4's own charger.
I know it doesn't make sense with numbers. But that's what I'm experricnig and coincides with a few other people's experience.
It could be that the s4 charger is outputting below it's specifications. Thereby making a slow charge

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm comparing the s4 charger and bb charger on 1 phone. That phone being the S4.
My point again is that in an s4 the bb charger charges the s4 faster than the s4's own charger.
I know it doesn't make sense with numbers. But that's what I'm experricnig and coincides with a few other people's experience.
It could be that the s4 charger is outputting below it's specifications. Thereby making a slow charge
Will, I think he just skimmed over the post and give an answer to you but did not go back and make sure what you said is what he thought you said, I have been in that position myself. I my self think your 2.1 charger is not charging at the rate advertised but I have a 3000mAh samsung extended battery in my S3 and the 2.1 does take a little longer than I think it should. I normally always run the battery down until it wants to be plugged in and most of the time take it off charger when it is done. Easy to do for me since I am unemployed and enjoying every minute of it. I wonder when O will stop paying me to do this, I would like another year!

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
s4 battery capacity is 2600mAh. if the stock charger is rated 2.1Amp, it means that it can deliver 2100mA of power in 1hour. so to fully charge the phone (reach 2600mA) of course it will take more than 1hour. as for blackberry battery, I don't know exactly the specification but I think it has less capacity than s4 so even with just .75mAh charger the battery is fully charged faster.

The charger is only rated at that output don't mean that is what the output is unless it is measured. It sounds as though to me the output is somewhat less than rated because when he puts the S4 on the BB charger the phone charges faster on the lower rated charger which could also have a somewhat higher output than what it is rated at at this time. It also has not been measured? The statement you made is true.

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

i see your point now, pardon my misunderstanding. i never thought it was possible to charge samsung phone with blackberry charger though, yes it's possible the charging rate is intentionally reduced to prevent overheating. yes a real test is necessary to get a reliable result. if only you can try your s4 charger on a friend's galaxy s4, then you can compare his charging speed with yours. it should be a good test to know whether an hour charge for s4 is normal or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad