Charging Samsung Galaxy S4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
i measured it now,
- S4 charger charges 1% per 5 minutes.
- BB charger charges 1% per 3 minutes.
It sounds like the Samsung charger is charging at 0.5A. It is supposed to short the USB data lines together internally, IIRC, and it looks like it isn't doing that so the phone thinks it's attached to a USB port on a computer and only taking a half amp.

Do you still have the S3 charger? If so you can try it out with the S4 using the same USB cable to see if it charges faster. That would rule out the phone and cable.

Helder Meireles

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello there..

Here's my problem..:

i have a Galaxy S2 with a 400mA charger.. charges really fast (less than 2 hours) wich is ok for me..

i've recently bought a Galaxy S4, and it came with a 2000mA charger, in two pieces.. wall piece and usb cable to plug into it...

Well, with the 2000mA it charges pretty well (1hour and half from 0 to 100%).. but with 400mA it is too slow ( more or less 6hours)

Until here i found it normal, due to the Amperage differences.. but...

i recently bough a 2metres usb cable, wich i plugged into the 2000mA wall piece, and the charging time of my S4 it was 6 hours or more...

my question is: Is it possible that a simple change of cable can change the charging time?? i mean.. its the same charger of 2000mA..the only difference is the lenght of the cable..

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
my question is: Is it possible that a simple change of cable can change the charging time?? i mean.. its the same charger of 2000mA..the only difference is the lenght of the cable..
If it's a crappy cable then that's definitely possible. There's the possibility that the voltage drop is much larger in that cable than the one that came with your device. You've already rules out the charger and the phone, so it appears as if you have a substandard USB cable.

Nliiitend1

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello there..

Here's my problem..:

i have a Galaxy S2 with a 400mA charger.. charges really fast (less than 2 hours) wich is ok for me..

i've recently bought a Galaxy S4, and it came with a 2000mA charger, in two pieces.. wall piece and usb cable to plug into it...

Well, with the 2000mA it charges pretty well (1hour and half from 0 to 100%).. but with 400mA it is too slow ( more or less 6hours)

Until here i found it normal, due to the Amperage differences.. but...

i recently bough a 2metres usb cable, wich i plugged into the 2000mA wall piece, and the charging time of my S4 it was 6 hours or more...

Apparently, whether or not the cable is shielded makes quite the difference:

Findings on Galaxy S4 charging current - xda-developers

amzky

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got my S4 last sunday and I am having a problem during charging while tethering. It consumes the battery rather than charging it even while the charging sign is on. Does anyone encountered this same problem?

Nathan H43

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing that I will RUIN my new Galaxy S4 if I use a Blackberry charger over time. So is this true? Do I need to buy OEM Samsung chargers?

Last edited:

Farhan Ahmed1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hehe stupid Kid if u r getting full charge at hour then it means you r not getting a solid charge Lol u think that this is the best for your phone ..Samsung tested their phones s3 and s4 ...S3 takes 2.3 Hours to get full solid charge and s4 takes 2.5 hours to get solid charge if u getting ur phone full charge at one hour then your battery will drain like hell Simpple is that your have not a solid charge.... Try clean your usb contacts and then charge with it... if it charges 1 percent per 3.5 minutes then u will be ok...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hehe stupid Kid if u r getting full charge at hour then it means you r not getting a solid charge Lol u think that this is the best for your phone ..Samsung tested their phones s3 and s4 ...S3 takes 2.3 Hours to get full solid charge and s4 takes 2.5 hours to get solid charge if u getting ur phone full charge at one hour then your battery will drain like hell Simpple is that your have not a solid charge.... Try clean your usb contacts and then charge with it... if it charges 1 percent per 3.5 minutes then u will be ok...

You don't have to insult him, he came here looking for help. You could have just told him how to fix it, instead of being arrogant about it.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

CRISTHIAN MEJIA

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my S4, but I use my S2X cable and charger. I have found that the issue was actually the cable and not the brick itself. The little brick is 2.0A but the USB is slow even on the S2X. I just bought a microUSB cable to replace it and boom! it charges quickly like it's supposed to.

yoitsjustin

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope! As long as the voltage and amp. are the same or below, it shouldn't matter. However, if it's above the OEM charger's, it's possible that it could overheat your phone and charging port which in long term use could result in damage.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Nope! As long as the voltage and amp. are the same or below, it shouldn't matter. However, if it's above the OEM charger's, it's possible that it could overheat your phone and charging port which in long term use could result in damage.
It's OK if the current rating is higher than what your phone can use or old charger can provide. The phone won't pull more current than it's capable of handling.

You also don't want the voltage to be below. You want it to be the same. Considering that most all smartphones use USB for charging you won't have to worry about the voltage. If it's USB it's either 5V or counterfeit. There are no legitimate USB chargers that give anything except 5V. You'd have to buy your charger from a non-trusted source and it's pretty much universally recommended to get your charger from someplace you trust and to buy a brand you know or have researched.

FWIW, what actually happens is there's a circuit in your phone that takes the 5V from the USB, converts it to ~4.2V that the battery uses and then manages how the battery is charged to ensure it's charged safely. That circuit determines how much current is being drawn, not the charger.

barnabas1969

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
It's OK if the current rating is higher than what your phone can use or old charger can provide. The phone won't pull more current than it's capable of handling.

You also don't want the voltage to be below. You want it to be the same. Considering that most all smartphones use USB for charging you won't have to worry about the voltage. If it's USB it's either 5V or counterfeit. There are no legitimate USB chargers that give anything except 5V. You'd have to buy your charger from a non-trusted source and it's pretty much universally recommended to get your charger from someplace you trust and to buy a brand you know or have researched.

FWIW, what actually happens is there's a circuit in your phone that takes the 5V from the USB, converts it to ~4.2V that the battery uses and then manages how the battery is charged to ensure it's charged safely. That circuit determines how much current is being drawn, not the charger.

Garublador is absolutely correct in what he wrote. Adding to what he wrote, batteries charge in a non-linear way. This makes comparisons between chargers based on "how long it takes to increase the battery's charge level by 1%" unreliable. The only way to reliably compare two chargers is to start charging the battery from the same state of charge. If you start at 50% full, and charge the battery with Charger-A... and it takes 10 minutes to increase the charge to 55% full, then you will need to discharge the battery back to 50% full before you try to compare Charger-B.

Here's an example of how a battery charges: Assuming that it takes 30 minutes (the 30 minutes is an assumption here to make my example simple to understand) to charge your phone from completely dead (which should never happen due to the way the phone's battery management system works, but let's just say it was completely dead) to 63% full, it will take another 30 minutes to charge it to 86% full. Notice that in the same 30 minutes, the battery's charge level only increased 23%, instead of the 63% that it increased in the first 30 minute period. After a third 30 minute period (each period in a battery's charging cycle is known as a "time constant"), the battery will be approximately 95% full. Then, after a fourth time constant, it will be 98% full. Finally, after a fifth time constant, it will be just below 100% full, and is considered fully charged. It takes five time constants to charge a battery to what is considered "full".

aadil essop

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Blackberry chargers have bad ripples, ( the S4 does have circuits to fix it, but dont use it, not good)
Also charge times is not direct.
For example charging a 2600 MAH battery, you might need to delivery about 3200 power, the phone heats up, also conversion power losses etc.
and cable length and quality of cable also effect the charge time.
Thin wires - higher resistance slow charge.

JayS4

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've started using my S4 as both my in-car GPS and to listen to internet radio in the car at the same time. I am using a 1a output car charger right now, which can't keep up with the power usage, so I am looking for another charger. I saw a Samsung charger online with a 4.2a output. Is that safe for the phone?

Corndo44

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
It's OK if the current rating is higher than what your phone can use or old charger can provide. The phone won't pull more current than it's capable of handling. You also don't want the voltage to be below. You want it to be the same. Considering that most all smartphones use USB for charging you won't have to worry about the voltage. If it's USB it's either 5V or counterfeit. There are no legitimate USB chargers that give anything except 5V. You'd have to buy your charger from a non-trusted source and it's pretty much universally recommended to get your charger from someplace you trust and to buy a brand you know or have researched.

I think most of you are missing the point and as usual, it seems in these blogs, I hear a lot of people talking but no one is actually answering the question. Garublador has it partially correct, there is a governer controlling the actual load your phone is taking on so the adapter is not generally speaking, going to, fry your battery, because most micro USB chargers are fairly standardized these days . However, there is a good reason the manufacturer recommends never using another charger. Its not because the charger can inherently overload your phone, but because In the event that the wrong charger is not up to par on the standard (or of a different one altogether), the adapter itself (which also has a small chip) may not send the correct return signal back to the phone (letting it know that "I'm only using my Samsung charger with you galaxy") which in some cases results in the governer not being activated, and the failsafe being bypassed. In which case there is the possibility that you're phone will instead try to "drink all the juice it can get" which on a 2a charger (because this is already set for very close to max load) would normally cause the battery to take on absolute maximum, get hot and lose permanent life (the memory of the battery). What It sounds like is going on here is that the bb adapter is not causing the governer to wake up resulting in the phone trying to take more juice than the adapters 750ma (Max load) rating (this is a rating just like you would see for say, an extension cord, NOT what it pushes to the phone), if this is indeed the case, then it will be the bb adapter that gets hot, not your battery. I also believe you have a second issue which is that, in my experience, it's usually the cord that is actually at fault, not the adapter, when s4 came out, everybody was getting on board finally with the USB 2.0 standard (which is what both the s4 and it's matching adapter were rated for). However, it seems Samsung (at least through Sprint) had a lot of leftover USB 1.0 cables to get rid of (or someone had a brain fart at the charger packaging meeting), I encountered this myself as I also got an optional tab3 with my s4 purchase, with an identical looking adapter and cable which I was to later find out when using them interchangeably was indeed the same adapter but only a USB 1.0 cord, which charges much more slowly. Don't quote me on the rest of this because I'm going mostly off of "if I remember correctly" statements but what I've already told you should answer most previous questions and this will partially answer some more. The way I understand it, when the USB 1 arrived, the USB cord was designed with 5 contacts, 4pin plus chassis (ground?), however only 3 contacts were actually being used, I believe #'s 1,2, and 5, with 1 and 5 used for charging and only one data cable, pin 2(I Don't know if the casing is considered pin 1 or 5 but I'm sure it's one of the two. So you had 3 working pins/wires out of 5 but the other 2 were non functional because unless you were buying really expensive cables, as a shortcut most manufacturers didn't even include the last 2 wires in the cables as there wasn't even a perceived use for them
on the horizon for a long time. When 2.0 came out There were now 3 contacts capable of being used for charging while also 2 or 3 we're used for data (the contacts being multi-functional at this point) but still had I think one unused contact (and they still managed to squeeze in MHL and a few other neat tricks!) Now we have 3.0 which I believe uses all 5 for both charging and data. So an older (or cheapo lt. Guage garbage wire) cable is most likely going to be the problem, not usually the adapter, although I do think it played a role here as far as the bb being the wrong one. There is one other possibility,I believe the s4 was already designed to accept 3.0 standard as it was getting ready to roll out anytime, so it's also possible that your bb charger is actually 3.0.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar