Google Now keeps saying my location service is off

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
After the big update today, Google Now keeps showing a card that says my location service is off. I click the settings button and everything is checked on. I've already tried to clear app data, reboot phone, etc and it still keeps saying that. Anyone else having this issue?

Bascule

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here. UK HTC One S. The location based features of Google Now still seem to be working fine though. But my weather widget is showing my county rather than my town as it used to.

drfyzziks

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to turn the Google location services on.

Yeah, we know :)

The thing is that after yesterday's update, Google Now doesn't recognize that location services are turned on - at least on some HTC One phones. In Settings -> Location, everything is enabled (location services, GPS, Location & Google Search, and Compass Warning)... but Google Now says that location service is disabled & refuses to work properly.

dopepee

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here on my Canadian HTC One S. Something is seriously broken with the location services after the Maps update. And it's not just Google Now, other apps like Field Trip also says location services is off when it's fully on. And Waze used to work perfectly on my phone but now won't even start and exits on splash screen.
I've tried reverting to factory versions of Maps and Google Search and it still doesn't work. Maps and HTC just don't like each other on Jelly Bean.

zadosha

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Same issue on the at&t LG Optimus G that i just upgraded to jelly bean. Maps can seem to find my location, but nothing else. And Google Now keeps saying that i need turn location services on when they already are. Very frustrating.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it's mostly HTC phones as my EVO LTE is having the same issue. It recently started after either the Google now update or the Google Play services update? Also in the settings > apps > "Network Location" system app has moved into downloaded apps section from the "all" section? I tried clearing caches, databases, restarts, uninstalling Google Now, Google Play services, etc and I can't get it to work again. What is going on? GPS still works but any app that need location info from networks is not working like Flixster and the HTC Clock Weather widget. GPS sucks on the EVO LTE. But I only noticed the Network Location app moved the other day, but it could have happened before the update? Anyone with HTC phones, where is your Network Location, does it appear in "Downloaded" folder? Also it says to uninstall updates but if it's a system app I'm afraid to do it. I remember it only used to appear in the All section of the apps manager.

Also, here is a post I made somewhere else but it is relevant:

"Anyone else have issues with the new Google Play Services? Ever since I got the newer version it?s been using up a ton of battery. When I check the Running Apps in my settings the ?Google Services? named ?GoogleLocationService? is always running and using 7-10MB of RAM. Not to mention the new Google Play Music has a new service which also always runs called ?MusicPlaybackService? and takes up 10-15MB of RAM. Google maps has been getting bigger and bigger and now runs 24-7 and uses up 20-40MB of RAM even when it?s in the back ground and was never started! The play store does something similar! What the heck are they doing? As they are trying to separate Android from itself they are killing users memory it seems. People with older phones with 1GB or memory of less can sometimes have their phones almost be unusable due to RAM and file sizes of Google apps! Google apps are killing not only my RAM but battery too!"

5th

arpadv

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Same happening to me on HTC One S. After a factory reset it was working again for a while, but then started again reporting, that location service is off. By my guess it is some sort of an update problem. Except Google Now, Foursquare, Maps and Facebook are also reporting that location is not available. Only GPS locating is working in my case....

Rambling On

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same scenario on my HTC One. Google Now reports location services are off whatever I do. Google Maps can't find my location without GPS being turned on whereas previously it would use cell tower and wifi. Same with Facebook, Gympse, Google+. Oddly Accuweather, Flixster and Foursquare seem to find my location ok, but I wonder if they are using a cached location.

wjbodin3

May 4, 2011
Visit site
HTC EVO LTE here but this just started happening for me today, few hours ago actually. Noticed it when I tried to login to a place on Foursquare and it said to turn all location services on but they already are. My separate GPS app works fine as well as Google Maps seems to be working. I did all the updates mentioned previously a day or two ago, don't remember when I saw them to do.

Google cards I also looked at and noticed the same thing about turning on location services though I would have sworn last night it too was working right. I know Google Navigation was fine last night as I was using it.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night and everything is working again. I know the "Network Location" system app is what is used to find local network location but how did mine get moved to the downloaded apps section? I got so tired of it I said screw it and I reset everything. Right now everything is working like normal again. But I had the same issue as all of you on my EVO LTE, GPS would work fine but if GPS was off no location could be found on anything (Flixster, Maps, etc). And the Google Now reporting location was off just started happening last night? What is going on? I think one of Google's updates moved my Network Location service which caused the issue. I think it is happening on most HTC phones.

Report it here: Google Groups

5th

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Droid DNA here same issue, not a fan of sense and things like this don't help. Judging from these comments seems to be mostly HTC's, meanwhile my wife's razr m works just fine. I can't say that I'm very happy with HTC right now. :(

Mirest

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue with my HTC One. As mentioned by other users, my gps seems to be working fine, but the location services itself isn't working. Is there a place where we can report this to HTC?

wjbodin3

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue with my HTC One. As mentioned by other users, my gps seems to be working fine, but the location services itself isn't working. Is there a place where we can report this to HTC?

The common thread seems to be the Goodle update that we all seem to have done, not sure what HTC would be able to do about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca