Will there be an "official" 4.2.x for unlocked Samsung Galaxy S II?

pcf111

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering when/if Google are "officially" going to provide 4.2.x for Samsung Galaxy S II?

I really only need the new Camera app (with Photo Sphere), but it could be cool with the whole package.

I know I can install whatever ROM I want, but I seriously don't want the whole hassle of doing backup/restore of SMS'es and other data from the phone. Or is that the only way of getting 4.2.x for Galaxy S II?

Thanks!

(Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did searches and couldn't find it.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering when/if Google are "officially" going to provide 4.2.x for Samsung Galaxy S II?

I really only need the new Camera app (with Photo Sphere), but it could be cool with the whole package.

I know I can install whatever ROM I want, but I seriously don't want the whole hassle of doing backup/restore of SMS'es and other data from the phone. Or is that the only way of getting 4.2.x for Galaxy S II?

Thanks!

(Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did searches and couldn't find it.)

I am inclined to believe that 4.1 is as high an OS that the S2 will see. It's well beyond it's End of Life, began with Gingerbread, so that is already 2 major updates it has seen, much better than many other devices out there.

I can understand you not wanting to root and flash a new ROM on it, but, if you upgrade, then this device can be a guinea pig for learning how to root/flash.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree. The Galaxy SII got an extended life reaching 4.1

Your best hopes is as you mentioned going after a custom ROM that supports what your looking for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If your carrier is Sprint, then QBKing77 has a YouTube channel devoted to the S2, S3, S4 and HTC One, where he has root, ROM reviews and flashing procedures. His vids are detailed, and easy to follow, but I would strongly recommend watching at least 3 or 4 times, and taking notes.

pcf111

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I gotta bite the bullet and install a ROM then, even though I don't wanna learn how to root/flash - I have better things to do with my life. :)

Btw, I'm not on Sprint, but on Vodafone in Romania. But the phone is unlocked, so it doesn't matter what operator I have, right?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I gotta bite the bullet and install a ROM then, even though I don't wanna learn how to root/flash - I have better things to do with my life. :)

Btw, I'm not on Sprint, but on Vodafone in Romania. But the phone is unlocked, so it doesn't matter what operator I have, right?

Root flssh procedures can be model specific. I would search model number and root in Google.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC