Nexus S - why wasn't it supported?

silver1997

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know as in why the Nexus S 4.2 update wasn't supported by Google and also why third-party developers (CyanogenMod, Carbon, JellyBam, etc.) still support the Nexus S? I'm not saying it's bad for them to be supporting it but I'm curious as to why they are doing it.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Personally, by the time I got 4.1 on my Nexus S (at this point already like 2 years old) it had started to lag SO bad, constant freezes and restarts and horrible battery life...so I would guess it's probably a combination of aging hardware and newer, more demanding software.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know as in why the Nexus S 4.2 update wasn't supported by Google and also why third-party developers (CyanogenMod, Carbon, JellyBam, etc.) still support the Nexus S? I'm not saying it's bad for them to be supporting it but I'm curious as to why they are doing it.

Google is probably just focusing their resources on newer model nexus devices. As far as developers go they like the challenge of taking something that was not available for a device and making it work. On top of that if there is a large demand for a particular device and they still own the device they just fill that need, Not only does this serve the android community that still owns a Nexus S but also it never hurts when those users Donate.

Halactic

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
While third-party developers don't take the responsibility on Your device, Google does. Thus, it might be hard for them to garantee that 4.2 will work properly on Galaxy Nexus.