flashing question

drich290195

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
If I was to flash my network branded s4 through kies with an unbranded firmware from sam mobile or the Google stock firmware. If I did it through kies will this increase the flash count and change the device status. Sorry for the silly question I'm new from iOS thanks

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Flash what? You're running the latest version of Android? Flashing any kind of recovery, etc. will trip the flash counter. What are you trying to accomplish? You cannot flash anything except stock firmware through Kies.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If I was to flash my network branded s4 through kies with an unbranded firmware from sam mobile or the Google stock firmware. If I did it through kies will this increase the flash count and change the device status. Sorry for the silly question I'm new from iOS thanks

You can only flash official Samsung firmware on Kies. If you want to flash custom firmware for your Galaxy S4, say a custom ROM, you need to use ODIN to flash CWM and gain root. Then, find a ROM compatible for your phone and gApps for the ROM and use your custom recovery to flash both files. Official OS updates will not trigger the flash counter, but flashing custom unsigned firmware WILL trip the counter. If one is available, you can flash a .zip containing code that will reset the counter to zero if needed.

The thing is, you need to provide us more info on your specific model of the Galaxy S4. Which carrier did you get the S4 from?

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
In that case, you need Odin. You cannot install stock Google roms. You also need root.

You will increase the flash counter if you flash any firmwares other than the original one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

drich290195

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replys guys it's an s4 on uk carrier O2. I was wanting to flash the unbranded rom with odin so I get rid of the operator splash screen. So what I can gather the device status won't change but the flash count is what I'm concerned with. Also will I get ota updates as it is effectively still stock just less the branding. Also does Odin always trigger the flash count again thanks for your help

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replys guys it's an s4 on uk carrier O2. I was wanting to flash the unbranded rom with odin so I get rid of the operator splash screen. So what I can gather the device status won't change but the flash count is what I'm concerned with. Also will I get ota updates as it is effectively still stock just less the branding. Also does Odin always trigger the flash count again thanks for your help

You won't be able to get ota updates from your carrier.

Odin trigger the flash counter only if you flash a custom firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks will I receive over the air updates that the unbranded phones would get though

Possibly since it is basically TouchWiz without any carrier provided programs and such. (I wouldn't count on it since you are not using firmware that originally came with the S4.)
If you were to use the leaked 4.3 ROM from the GpE Galaxy S4, you will not receive any updates for that via OTA but you can still download any ROM updates for it manually should one arise.

drich290195

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Surely though the device doesnt know weather it was carrier branded or unbranded. So ota updates surely should work

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae