is it possible to move android OS to SD?

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've bought a phone his OS is Android 4.1 and i got 256 RAM and i got Internal Storage witch is 109MB

Soo, my internal Storage is full all my apps are in SD card and i clear everyday my catch soo i leave only 28 MB in Internal Storage my question is The adroid 4.1 made my internal storage full and is it possible to move my WHOLE OS to my SD card i came with this idea because My friend bought a phone and his OS is in SD card and if he take SD card out the phone wont work...Soo i was some advice how to take my OS to my SD card... if its possible... Please help me i almost gonna slam this phone into the ground i'm really tired i only got the phone 4 days and i already getting sick of it !!!:'(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There isn't any way that I'm aware of to move your OS to the SD card, even with root. Think about it--if the SD card became unseated or corrupt, your phone would essentially be toast.

Unfortunately, low memory is always a problem with phones that have such minimal internal storage. When looking for a phone, it's always a good idea to make sure it advertises at least 4 GB of internal memory, and ideally at least 8 GB, because the OS will always take up around 2 GB of that memory.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of a phone made since 2005 with these specs...especially running 4.0. I don't even think that's possible

Posted via Android Central App

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
There isn't any way that I'm aware of to move your OS to the SD card, even with root. Think about it--if the SD card became unseated or corrupt, your phone would essentially be toast.

Unfortunately, low memory is always a problem with phones that have such minimal internal storage. When looking for a phone, it's always a good idea to make sure it advertises at least 4 GB of internal memory, and ideally at least 8 GB, because the OS will always take up around 2 GB of that memory.

Thank you for your response But as u said if my SD card got corrupted or somthing i always make a backup file on my computer...Cuz i don't know how my friend did it he removes the SD card than he turned the Phone on the Phone was completely blocked. Than he turn the phone off and put the SD on and Than he turned the phone on and he rebooted adn it was working...I really wish some information how we able to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not aware of a phone made since 2005 with these specs...especially running 4.0. I don't even think that's possible

It is possible but i don't know how...I've seen it by my friends phone...Its like a Computer the SD card is the Hard Drive.

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Btw Do all Android 4.1 got the same OS or all phone's got different ? Is it possible to buy a Chip like Internal Storage and bring it to a Phone dealer who can plug it into the phone soo i can have more Internal Storage ?

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I also have another problem if i downloaded App 10 Mb and i move it to my SD card than it use 2 MB Internal Storage how can i move that also or just get it out of internal to make more space...for my IS

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My apologies if this is real. No disrespect intended, but I can't think of either a device available now nor a person willing to purchase a phone with 256MB of RAM and 109MB of storage. Nor do I know of any commercial phone that runs everything off of a memory card. Frankly, I think you are pulling our collective legs. Be that as it may be, please provide specific device info on your phone and your friend's phone so that we can research the devices and provide some sort of assistance. I mean, at this point we can't even provide advice on what kind of card your phone would support.

p00nage:

A time or state when another player is p00ned and/or gets his *** kicked in an online game. Similar to pwnage and ownage.
Now that was total p00nage!

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
U need also to know how much inch it is ? i mean i said OS is Android 4.1.1 Ram 256 And internal Storage is 109 MB. This is my first Android phone And i didnt know that Android phone got a kind of problem in Internal Storage i'm a human. I found a phone i liked it all i saw was the OS that was 4.1.1 than i liked the way he was and bought it...and it was cheap.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Btw Do all Android 4.1 got the same OS or all phone's got different ? Is it possible to buy a Chip like Internal Storage and bring it to a Phone dealer who can plug it into the phone soo i can have more Internal Storage ?

All Android phones have the same OS, but each manufacturer tends to modify the base Android code with some extra stuff, adding some features and changing how things look. This is called "skinning," and all you have to do is compare an HTC phone with a Samsung phone with a Nexus 4 to see how things can vary between manufacturers. Devices made specifically for Google (i.e., the Nexus devices) are "vanilla" Android, which means they are pure unmodified Android.

There is no way to increase the phone's Internal Storage, because it's hard-wired into the circuitry. You can always add more External Storage by using a bigger microSD card (if the device supports it), but one of Android's limitations is that External Storage is of limited use--it's mostly for storage of things like music and video files that you put on there yourself. You generally can't move apps to External Storage on an unrooted phone, although you could try an app like App2SD. Again, I'm not aware of any way to move the actual OS to an external SD card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
U need also to know how much inch it is ? i mean i said OS is Android 4.1.1 Ram 256 And internal Storage is 109 MB. This is my first Android phone And i didnt know that Android phone got a kind of problem in Internal Storage i'm a human. I found a phone i liked it all i saw was the OS that was 4.1.1 than i liked the way he was and bought it...and it was cheap.

It'd help to know what the brand and model of the phone is, not the size. My guess is that it's from a fairly obscure manufacturer, or possibly has no brand at all--probably straight from China. Those memory numbers are quite small, but they're not completely unheard of--for example, the Chaser on Virgin Mobile has 512 MB of RAM and only 131 MB of free internal storage.

Internal storage isn't an Android problem--it's more of a "you get what you pay for" issue. There's usually a reason why something is cheap.

p00nage

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It'd help to know what the brand and model of the phone is, not the size. My guess is that it's from a fairly obscure manufacturer, or possibly has no brand at all--probably straight from China. Those memory numbers are quite small, but they're not completely unheard of--for example, the Chaser on Virgin Mobile has 512 MB of RAM and only 131 MB of free internal storage.

Internal storage isn't an Android problem--it's more of a "you get what you pay for" issue. There's usually a reason why something is cheap.

the post i posted ''U need also to know how much inch it is'' was not for you you helped me really i told him do u need to know what inch my phone is becaus he said '' you need to post more information about the phone'' so i told him bout the inch as sarcasm

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I figured as much, but you still haven't mentioned the brand and model if the phone. Are you able to find that info?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just to recap and sum things up.

There is no way to increase your phone's internal storage capacity. That is a part of your main board and isn't just swapped out.

If you have a phone that supports external storage cards then awesome! Transfer what you can to sdcard and/or look into rooting the device to make use of apps to sdcard transfer if possible.

Otherwise your only other options is using Dropbox , Google Cloud or other online services to help with storage.

It's basically mandatory today to have at least 8 gigabytes total memory capacity and that is even quickly being outdated to now 16 gigabytes the minimum. On board ram is at least 1 gig the normal today for reasonable usage without horrible lag in the device.

Android is growing and changing so much and with all the new advancements comes more resources in the means of memory used up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are cheap very low-end Android phones that are close to these specs--typically on pay-as-you-go plans like Net10 or Boost. The one I mentioned above, the Chaser from Virgin Mobile, has 512 MB RAM and a measly 131 MB internal storage.

The OP didn't specify that he bought the phone new, so it could have been a used phone from a place like eBay. Also, who knows what kind of low end phones no-name manufacturers are churning out and foisting on the masses?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There are cheap very low-end Android phones that are close to these specs--typically on pay-as-you-go plans like Net10 or Boost. The one I mentioned above, the Chaser from Virgin Mobile, has 512 MB RAM and a measly 131 MB internal storage.

The OP didn't specify that he bought the phone new, so it could have been a used phone from a place like eBay. Also, who knows what kind of low end phones no-name manufacturers are churning out and foisting on the masses?
Completely agree with you there on the mid-low phones especially the knock off's of the big name phones. They throw just enough bait in terms of specs at you to get your money and then you quickly find out why the device cost much less and find the phone quickly out of resources. Its a shame, bottom line.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It?s all depends on apps if they are movable you can move in SD. But I suggest don?t do it this is not safe for operating system.

Its not that its not safe for the operating system. As you can't move system apps or framework files to the sdcard. Its that certain apps features will break when they are moved to the sdcard (like widgets or automatic actions at boot). That's why certain apps can't be moved to the sdcard and forcing them to can break them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20