Favorite settings widget help

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Hey Android Central,

I am hoping you guys can help me here. I decided to make maintenance for my SGH-i717 a little easier so I took a Home screen and I'm putting on it widgets of all the utilities that I use to clean up, optimize and maintenance my device. One of the widgets that I am trying to add is the "Favorite Settings" widget which is under >Widgets>Choose Widget>Settings> There are two choices here, Assistive Light, which is just a Flashlight app, and Favorite Settings. When I select Favorite Settings, I get the "No more room on this home screen" error. The problem is that there are no widgets yet on this home screen. I have tried adding additional rows and columns, every thing from the default, which I believe is 4x4, up to 6x6. And, not that it should matter but I have also tried with the device in both portrait and landscape, but no matter how I have tried, I constantly get that error message. I am truly at a loss as to why I would be getting this error on a completely clean and brand new home screen. I added the new home screen window just for this purpose.

Does anyone have any possible idea why I am encountering this and how can get the Settings widget to be placed on my home screen? I would be greatly appreciative.

I would also like to ask another question.. I have noticed when I bring up the task manager, the Google Music Player app is always running for some reason. I always wind up just killing it off, because I don't use it. In fact I have never used it. I don't think I have ever even launched it. I don't see it listed in any of the start up apps either. I use the All-in-one Toolbox and it's not listed as an item to be started at boot. So I have no clue what is starting it. I also have not been plugging anything into the headpfone jack which I know can start apps when it detects something plugged into it. So any idea's on this one would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks a bunch!

EU

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In regard to Google Music, there are apps that tend to start in the background because the system thinks you may want to use it (even if you've never done so), and keeping it in RAM will allow it to start more quickly. Killing it will just result in the app starting by itself again some time soon, and may actually lead to increased battery life, since it takes some CPU power to kill it and then start it again. If you are never going to use it, you can go to Settings/Apps/All Apps, select Google Music, and tap Disable, and it won't start up any more.

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Thanks Diddy! Does that Disable feature really work on the Bloatware apps? I was under the impression that it wouldn't work for them. Also do you know if Google Music is required by any other apps? I ask this because I know that some Bloatware apps are used as the underlying app for third party apps such as apps for SMS require the stock messaging app to work. If you disable the stock messaging app, then apps like ChompSMS won't work properly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As long as you see the Disable button in the Settings/Apps menu, you can disable it. True bloatware (i.e., preinstalled non-Google apps) can almost always be disabled. Good question about Google Music--I'm not aware of other apps' dependence on it. You can always disable it and see--there's no irreversible harm that can come of it.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As long as you see the Disable button in the Settings/Apps menu, you can disable it. True bloatware (i.e., preinstalled non-Google apps) can almost always be disabled. Good question about Google Music--I'm not aware of other apps' dependence on it. You can always disable it and see--there's no irreversible harm that can come of it.

I'd do just what he said, disable it and see if you come across any issues. My guess is that you'll be just fine; I don't know of any other applications or services that depend directly on the Google Music app or its components.

Last edited:

sbaar

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it won't help you, i just wanted to chime in that this isn't your fault. I'm doing some dev work on hosting widgets in apps other than the home screen and I've come to the conclusion that samsung variations on the settings widgets have bogus layout and height measurements that no other widgets have. They probably have custom touchwiz code that recognizes their own widgets.

Can you tell me one thing? Do you have the same issue with the favorite apps widget that's the same dimensions?

enduser2941

May 8, 2011
www.rsfsquad.org
Can you tell me one thing? Do you have the same issue with the favorite apps widget that's the same dimensions?

Hey Sbaar, I would love to answer this for you however, this question was asked back in 2013, since then I have upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and I no longer use Touchwiz. I am not using the Next Launcher. I have not noticed this error on this new device and unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I managed to sell the Note 2 for over $200 when I got the new device and I love my Note 3. I have had zero problems with it except the fact that I can't get Kit Kat via OTA from AT&T because I Rooted the device to be able to get access to network level packets to run some security tests on my home network. I wish I could help you out, but I really do appreciate the reply on my post!! :) Good Luck!

EU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy