I have a Galaxy S4 on Sprint, stock rooted, that is not getting email notifications pushed through the Gmail app. I am running Gmail version 4.5.2, but have tried to downgrade only to get the same results. I have checked to make sure the notifications are set, the accounts are set to sync email, active sync is on, and background data is on. I have also tried removing the account information and setting it back up after a reboot. It does not matter if I am connected to wifi or using mobile data. If I manually open the Gmail app, any new messages show up. I have tried toggling the sync option in the notification bar, but that is only a temporary fix, much like opening the app and refreshing it.

I tried searching, but everything I have found covers what I have already tried. Any suggestions?
    08-21-2013 02:12 PM
    I have a Galaxy S4 on Sprint, stock rooted, that is not getting email notifications pushed through the Gmail app. I am running Gmail version 4.5.2, but have tried to downgrade only to get the same results. I have checked to make sure the notifications are set, the accounts are set to sync email, active sync is on, and background data is on. I have also tried removing the account information and setting it back up after a reboot. It does not matter if I am connected to wifi or using mobile data. If I manually open the Gmail app, any new messages show up. I have tried toggling the sync option in the notification bar, but that is only a temporary fix, much like opening the app and refreshing it.

I tried searching, but everything I have found covers what I have already tried. Any suggestions?
    Just to get the initial stuff out of the way...

1. Have you verified that you do have a working data signal (wifi or mobile data)?
    1a. If you're on wifi, do you have it set to "always" keep wifi on during sleep? (This is under the advanced Wi-Fi options)

2. Do you have any "Task Killer" apps that may be shutting gmail down or preventing it from syncing?
    08-21-2013 03:46 PM
    Yes, the data signal is working. I can browse/check email manually and get push email notification through the outlook.com app. I typically do not keep the phone wifi on when not actively using it, but have changed the setting noted above, but still no joy.

I do have the Snapdragon Guru installed, but it is set to not restrict Gmail. That app has been installed for quite a while now, and the lack of notification is relatively new.
    08-21-2013 04:56 PM
    I removed the battery guru, and removed/setup my account again. Here are screen shots that show some of my settings. Is there anything I may be missing? I can manually check for mail, or toggle the sync on/off, and the notifications work for anything I have waiting at that time, but nothing new shows up until I do it again.

08-22-2013 08:22 AM
    Bueller?
    08-26-2013 06:59 PM
    Did a factory reset on it, and the notification seem to be working. Except for getting three notifications for the same message. Suppose I should be happy I get the notifications at all.
    09-07-2013 05:56 PM
    You are soooo correct on the Task Killer! I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out why my Samsung Galaxy S4 was not giving me email notifications. I uninstalled Advanced App Killer and low and behold I have notifications again. It also made it so I didn't have to refresh my calendar. Thank you very much. - using Gmail and Exchange Server.

- - - Updated - - -

You are soooo correct on the Task Killer! I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out why my Samsung Galaxy S4 was not giving me email notifications. I uninstalled Advanced App Killer and low and behold I have notifications again. It also made it so I didn't have to refresh my calendar. Thank you very much. - using Gmail and Exchange Server.
    09-27-2013 06:14 AM
    is the Task Killer something pre-installed for Note 3's please? how do i find if i have some similar app pls??

i have the same problem - not getting push mails for Gmail and Email (ie. outlook, yahoo mail etc)

Gmail email notification/push not working?-skitch.jpgGmail email notification/push not working?-skitch-1.jpgGmail email notification/push not working?-skitch-2.jpgGmail email notification/push not working?-skitch-2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Gmail email notification/push not working?-picture-16.png   Gmail email notification/push not working?-picture-17.png   Gmail email notification/push not working?-picture-18.png   Gmail email notification/push not working?-skitch-4.jpg  
    09-30-2013 11:58 PM