How to turn off notification sounds when on a phone call?

slowmandroid

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi there

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

I find it really off-putting when I'm on a voice call and an SMS comes in and the audio notification sounds through the earpiece interrupting my conversation and ability to hear clearly the person I am speaking to. I am surprised that it does this at all, instead of being intelligent enough to stay silent when a call is in progress, or perhaps vibrate a notification only. I'm more surprised that I don't seem to be able to change any setting to make it behave that way.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to make it behave more politely?

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Dialer and hit the Menu button. Go to Settings, Call Alerts and make sure the "Alerts on call" option is ticked off.

slowmandroid

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Dialer and hit the Menu button. Go to Settings, Call Alerts and make sure the "Alerts on call" option is ticked off.

Brilliant! Thanks SpookDriod. I would never have found that otherwise. Why they can't give you access to all the settings in Settings I don't know, but hey...

Thanks again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Same gripe I have, my friend... It's like walking through a maze trying to find where all the settings are, and this is a maze that SHOULD have a map :p But hey, glad I could help.

I actually like having the notifications come through when I'm in a call; the one thing I don't like is that, for some reason, while in a call, all notifications come through with the default system ringtone instead of the one I set for each notification type, so I know I got something, but I don't know exactly WHAT. I don't really use my phone to talk that much anyway :p

slowmandroid

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, nor do I but when I do I don't want any extraneous noise getting in the way. On that note, the same thing happens when I am streaming a movie via Google Play - because I am streaming over WIFI I have to have network connectivity on but any notification that comes in sounds in the middle of the film, cutting out the film sound while it goes off. Don't spose there's a way of doing the same when a film is playing is there?

Tampa8

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
For watching a movie or various other things,
Best way is to use an app that controls sounds that has a widget. Then you can easily disable or lower the sounds, or pick vibrate. I use Volume Ace, it allows the system go back at a set time in case you forget after doing whatever you were doing to want the volume down or off...

LoriCamp

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I use a Samsung S6, and have absolutely no idea as to how this got turned on. I would like a solution to turn off the notification tone while on a voice call. Happens whether I use the phone or am connected via Bluetooth. I have read the directions below, but have no idea what is meant by the dialer. Step-by-Step instructions would be great. :confused: